“Horrible take-out experience.”

Las Trancas
Ranked #9 of 81 Restaurants in Marietta
Cuisines: Mexican
Reviewed 22 July 2017

I have ordered take-out from this restaurant before. At first, it was great. The last few times, it has been mediocre. Today, I was trying to decide if I should go ahead and go to Tampico, or to give Las Trancas another chance. I honestly wished I had gone to Tampico.

Let's start with my order, which I thought was a fairy simple. I ordered two entrees (Enchildas La Paz and the Grilled Trio with the side of beans replaced with rice), plus a large order of chips and salsa. I was ordering for myself and my mother, who has a medical condition in her mouth that renders her very susceptible to any kind of spicy food. I specifically asked the person taking my order if the Enchiladas La Paz were spicy at all. She said they were not. Spoiler warning: They were. Also, when eating her meal, my mother found 2 pieces of plastic in her food. I'm still trying to figure out if they charged me for that.

For my Grilled Trio, the shrimp that are supposed to be in the entree were substituted with chorizo, which I did not ask for. the chips and salsa themselves totaled $8.00 (5.50 for the chips and 2.50 for the salsa. At Tampico, the same size chips and salsa costs $6, and is better quality overall.).

When I went in to get the order, I didn't have to wait terribly long to get the order, as the restaurant wasn't terribly busy at the time. That's where the good things I can say about this interaction end. When I was presented with half of my order, whoever had brought it out had literally put the containers on their side, causing a good portion of the juice and grease to empty into the bag. The cashier did not even check the order, as I found when I went to my vehicle and realized half my order was missing. I brought the other half back in to make sure I had gotten the right order. The other half was sitting on the counter, and was also turned on it's side when it was handed to me. I pointed this out to the man handing it to me, who mumbled a half-hearted apology along with several claims of he "just can't understand the cooks". I don't know how being able to understand the cook staff translates to not understanding which way to hand someone the food, but that sounds like something that needs to be brought up with management.

At this point, I just wanted to get home and eat, and did not want to wait another 20 minutes for the food to be remade, so I brought it home. After toweling both the containers off, we dug in, which is when I discovered in addition to everything else, they had not substituted rice for my beans. The food was mediocre again, at best.

In short, they messed the order up severely and gave extremely sloppy service. I do not think we will be returning to this establishment any time soon. I very much recommend anyone wanting good Mexican food to try Tampico or Gran Ranchero, the latter of which is opening soon.

Reviewed 16 April 2017 via mobile

I've went to las trancas for years. But tonight was my last visit. I got a pitcher of margaritas. Everything was fine until we got near the bottom. We ended up spitting out metal pieces. Not knowing what was going on, we asked the waiter and he said oh sorry that's from when they clean the bar at night. It must've got into the ice. So the manager came to the table and told us that they would dump the ice. We had 1/4 of our pitcher left and the waiter brought us out 2 medium margaritas to make up for what was left in the pitcher. We get the bill, and they charged us for the whole pitcher! We complained and then they took .58 cents off! And said it was 10%. If it were my business, I would not have charged for the pitcher. After complaining again, they charged us for half the pitcher. We didn't have any fight left so we said okay, paid and left. It ruined our night and needless to say we won't be back. The management has absolutely no idea how to run a business!

Reviewed 13 March 2017

For those that like a quiet place to eat, that is not this place.
Food was good, but too much. Maybe the waiter could have told me that a soup (huge bowl, not mentioned on the menu) and the fajitas would be too much for 1 person. Of course, must be honest, did not ask it myself either.
Friendly staff.

1  Thank GeertVdS
Reviewed 14 February 2017

This is authentic Mexican food and is delicious Good service, good portions, excellent food! We go here almost overtime we are in Marietta. highly recommend!

Reviewed 28 January 2017

First visit to Las Trancas and was not disappointed. Very good service, excellent food, and quick service. The sound-level of the restaurant is definitely a lot louder and higher background noise than your average restaurant. It creates a great atmosphere, but can make it a little more difficult to hold conversations at the table, if you have trouble with that sort of thing.

Been to Las Trancas? Share your experiences!