“A Moving Experience”

Ranked #5 of 8 things to do in Kent
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 14 August 2018

Many people know of the Kent State shootings, and are familiar with some of the iconic photos coming out of that tumultuous time. But this center helps put it into context, gives gripping accounts of the day and the days leading up to it. Excellent presentation.

All reviews
"students"
in 6 reviews
"memorial"

Reviewed 23 December 2017 via mobile

Very thoughtfully done, putting a terrible event in its historical context. Kudos to the university for such a clear-eyed presentation of its dark moment in the national spotlight.

Reviewed 8 September 2017

This museum packs a punch even though bite-sized. A must-see for those interested in the Viet Nam era and the local effects of anger, fear and distrust. The displays include differing views of the events, as well as a very moving video encapsulating them as experienced by witnesses. Just go already.

Reviewed 14 August 2017

This review is for the May 4 Memorial and the markers, as the visitor center was closed. Had heard about Kent State for the last 47 years, usually with the spin that the students provoked the attack, so I had always wanted to see the site. Finally got my chance when I was in the Akron area and set time aside to make my visit. Coming in from the south, off I-76, the memorial isn't exactly easy to find. The directional signs send you the long way around the campus. I guess they want you to see all the new facilities since the shootings. Anyway, I got to the right parking lot only to find the visitor center was closed for remodeling. They really need some more information for the people, like me, who come to try to understand what happened and how. For instance, I had forgotten that the US had invaded Cambodia the day before. The ROTC building burned, but downtown business leaders asked the governor to call out the National Guard. Students were taunting the Guard, who retreated after going up the hill behind the hall, but then turned around and fired. It was sobering to see how random the fatalities were- from about 30-250 yards. I never did find all seven of the informationall signs and I would have missed the bullet hole in the sculpture if another person hadn't pointed it out to me. It was a sobering learning experience and I am still glad that I was on the west coast at the time.

1  Thank Paul S
See more reviews
Reviewed 18 January 2017

My last class of the day on May 4 was at Taylor Hall where the shootings took place, at about noon. I was a journalism and photography student and saw what was going on and decided to leave. I was walking home and was over by Nixson Hall when the shootings took place, so I missed it by about 20 minutes. Things had been in turmoil all weekend, and I watched the ROTC building burn on Saturday and got tear-gassed on Sunday. My brother was in the National Guard, although not called up that day. As you might expect, this event holds a lot of memories for me, and I visit sometimes to contemplate, and often discuss May 4 with visitors from out of town. Lest we forget, it's important to visit this commemoration to help ensure that nothing like this ever happens again. The Center is a valuable history lesson, and engaging even if you only know the shootings from books or films.

1  Thank David_B50499