“I was there May 4 and I visit sometimes to remember.”

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Kent State University May 4 Visitors Center
Ranked #5 of 8 things to do in Kent
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: <1 hour
Reviewed 18 January 2017

My last class of the day on May 4 was at Taylor Hall where the shootings took place, at about noon. I was a journalism and photography student and saw what was going on and decided to leave. I was walking home and was over by Nixson Hall when the shootings took place, so I missed it by about 20 minutes. Things had been in turmoil all weekend, and I watched the ROTC building burn on Saturday and got tear-gassed on Sunday. My brother was in the National Guard, although not called up that day. As you might expect, this event holds a lot of memories for me, and I visit sometimes to contemplate, and often discuss May 4 with visitors from out of town. Lest we forget, it's important to visit this commemoration to help ensure that nothing like this ever happens again. The Center is a valuable history lesson, and engaging even if you only know the shootings from books or films.

Date of experience: October 2016
"students"
in 6 reviews
"memorial"

Reviewed 24 October 2016

W have visited several times when we have had visitors to the are. Visitors from other countries are especially surprised to find that something like this happened in the US. The staff who work here have always been most cordial. We are quite impressed with the informative treatment.

Date of experience: April 2016
Reviewed 14 September 2016

Had odd hours of being open. We went two times, both times were closed. The one time we did hit their open hours, they were busy remodeling or something of that nature. No one there to ask questions. Maybe things have changed since then but it will be a while until we go back. Interesting still.

Date of experience: May 2016
Reviewed 10 June 2016 via mobile

I've been to museums all over the country. Even though I live in Kent it is startling to find the story of the May Fourth massacre so well told. Moving. If you are ever anywhere near Kent make sure you go. Many other great things to do in Kent as well.

Date of experience: October 2015
1  Thank RLH1957
See more reviews
Reviewed 29 April 2016

I bet you and others now regret giving away those old college year books from that time period. You should have save those books. Most valuable to now look at with memories. Walk cross the campus and reminisce the location of those buildings and events from that period. If you lived on campus then know where you stayed at that afternoon. Retrace your pathways leading you to classes. This event and memories of it can make all of us willing to study history. Not too many history majors then. More now. In fact there are courses that now deal with this events. The university and campus are good at bringing back important people to tell us more and make us think about those events. But they shouldn't have to bring you back for anything as important as recalling this event.This monument has a priority over football games.
Look where the old football field was located. Look at the campus hill which is now a beautiful field leading up to the monument. Remember what was in the place of the architecture school. Remember where the old bookstore was? Take somebody from a foreign country as I did once to visit this monument. Their reaction to seeing the monument and center will change you. I would imagine that many part time evening students who went to class in the evening after work that day have a different way to remember their visit to campus on that day. Things were not the same one day earlier. Can you recall hardships in finding places to park your car then? Walk across the campus and come into contact with people many of whom were local residents at the time living in the near by towns and villages in Portage County. A visit here is required for people who graduated from the university that springtime as well as before and after. Here is fair question. I wonder how many people who decided to pass on attending the graduation ceremonies and receive their diploma in the mail now regret having made that decision. Beautiful memorial for sure. Walk down town in Kent and visit the places that kept so many people from spending time on campus at that time.That will change your priorities I am sure for attending college in the first place. Do not eat food as you visit this place. Respect it as being what it is - a solemn place not a picnic grounds.

Date of experience: April 2016