Contact accommodation for availability.
There are similar hotels available.
Jane P

An incredible hiking experience with some incredible guides and hosts

5.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 10 Mar 2024
This experience is one of the best hiking experiences I have ever had. The lodge is extremely comfortable, and the staff are faultless. There were six of us and we had five staff - two knowledgeable guides and three lodge hosts who looked after us so well. Each day the hiking was quite different and there were options to cater for varying fitness levels. I don't want to write too much and give away the little surprises and professional touches that make this tour operator so special. I would like to say thank you for making my milestone birthday so memorable.
Date of stay: January 2024
  • Expedia.com
12.8 km from Freycinet Experience Walk Friendly Beaches Lodge
12.5 km from Freycinet Experience Walk Friendly Beaches Lodge
View more hotels in Freycinet
All reviews from start to finish wealth of knowledge lodge experience walk group hosts tasmania weather options history wood flora sleeping description serenity composting
Selected filters
Reviewed 29 November 2023

I have just completed this hosted walk and it was truly magical. Our guides Billy and Liam where exceptional. Great knowledge, passion, thoughtfulness and great company. Our lodge hosts Noona and Philiipo were brilliant and spoilt us rotten. Nothing was too much trouble. The food they produced fresh was so tasty, of the area and plentiful. The four of them also worked together seamlessly as a team to make everything happen effortlessly. I did not want o leave like many of the other guests on the trip. The lodge is beautiful, tranquil and a joy to stay at. It was conducive to people mixing. This was enhanced by the mood set by our hosts and guides. We did some really great walks with fantastic scenery. Saw lots of birds, animal, flowers and dolphins. I had a fantastic time. Thankyou.

Room tip: Leave your phone at home and immerse yourself in the environment.
Date of stay: November 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 2 January 2023 via mobile

Review

From start to finish this experience is amazing. Freycinet itself is breathtakingly beautiful, but being led on the less taken tracks by incredibly knowledgeable guides really makes the experience something special. Our guides Emma and Brayden were both are so passionate about the flora, fauna and history of the park and Tasmania as a whole. They would answer any questions the group had on top of all the information they had to share. Our lodge hosts Marcela and Flicka were also fantastic! Not only was every piece of food so tasty, but they were a wealth of knowledge on the area. The lodge itself is exactly as stated in the description and you’ll learn more about the history when you arrive. The walks are on less taken tracks and for the most part, our group were the only people we saw. Communication from the guides and hosts on what we are doing and when was incredible and my expectations matched the information every time. I highly recommend this experience for a way to see a ton of the park and learn a LOT about the area in a non-overwhelming way in just a few days:)

Date of stay: December 2022
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 20 November 2022

Whilst the walks were lovely and not too challenging - the lodge, food and staff were not to the standard I expected. Most significantly was the lack of WARMTH!

We did arrive in very wet weather but the staff did not seem to address the issue of the patrons sitting inside with coats, beanies and blankets. The fire was ridiculously small and I was told by one of the walk leaders that I shouldn't put more wood on it!! I was in shock!! I understand that when you are working you do not feel the cold but it was very obvious that the visitors were all clearly very uncomfortable. This was repeated throughout our stay (no fire at breakfast, fire not ready for our return from walks etc) and made for a very unpleasant experience.

The food was tasty but limited - the 'continental breakfast' one day was cereal and a small bowl of berries to share between 10 people. No coffee / tea available at all times and they ran out of milk on our last day! Servings were to the exact number which did not take into account different appetites, my partner was able to eat some of my share but there were no other options (some cookies / snacks on the sideboard with drinks freely available would make a big difference).

It is NOT a luxury retreat and the sound of the composting toilet did not contribute to the serenity!! I was surprised that the main room had no insulation, seemed to have no double glazing and was not set up to be 'eco' for heating. One central fire place for the sleeping rooms that we kept going ourselves was not enough (and I can't imagine how cold it would be in the room furthest from the fire!!!). The architect also seemed to have designed the bedrooms to perfectly stub toes!

Go for the walks - but take snacks and hope the weather isn't cold or you will FREEZE!!

Date of stay: November 2022
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 14 December 2020

From the moment I stepped foot on that white sand and glimpsed that turquoise water I knew I was in for something special. To be able to walk alone with guides in pristine wilderness is very special. In the four days we spent on the Freycinet Peninsular we managed to explore many of the beaches, peaks, nooks and crannies while learning about its extraordinary history and culture. The guides are so generous with their knowledge and passionate about nature and ensuring their guests enjoy their day safely. Once back at the lodge we indulged in home made meals and became familiar with the local wines and spirits (whiskey and gin). It was lovely to be "off the grid" and enjoy the quietness that comes with being remote.

Date of stay: December 2020
2  Thank Kokodachic
Reviewed 8 March 2020

This was a perfect 4 days. Great hiking, great food, great wine, a wonderful eco-lodge, with limited numbers and awesome support. Plus some surprises that I won't spoil by putting them here. I have done some much more ambitious treks (Kilimanjara, Nepal etc) but I can't imagine a better hiking experience that will suit all comers, and enable friends of all ability to have a wonderful shared experience.
Kudos to all involved (especially Luke and Sam the hosts, and Jess, Danny and Emily the guides)

Date of stay: February 2020
1  Thank X6406VPstever
FEWFNP, Manager at Freycinet Experience Walk Friendly Beaches Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 11 March 2020

Hello, X6406VPstever!

Thank you kindly for taking the time to review our four-day walking experience.

It is so wonderful to hear that you enjoyed your time with us, and were so well looked after by our brilliant team!

Your group would be most welcome back to join us on the Peninsula, perhaps during a different season! It is such a treat to observe how the landscape changes from spring, to summer, through to autumn (you might also be interested to hear more about our Lodge Based bookings available for return guests who might fancy a little more down time at our beach side eco-lodge!).

We wish you all the very best for your future travels and hope to see you on the Peninsula again!

Warmest,