Lowest prices for your stay
Fully refundable before Fri, 26 Apr
Dingo_6152
Fremantle, Australia
A tired worn out 3 star hotel
3.0 of 5 bubblesReviewed 6 Feb 2024
There is not a lot of choice when looking for a place to stay in Devonport - so our key criteria was being within walking distance of the town centre and having free on-site car parking.

First impressions of the hotel when we walked in was that it was very dated and in need of a major renovation - there were obviously some areas which had been refurbished such as the front reception but most of the areas need a significant overhaul.

Our room was downstairs on the ground floor and walking down the stairs it felt like we were going down to the basement - the carpets needed replacement and the walls repainting. The room itself, a family room was very spacious for just two people - had plenty of storage space, decent work desk, large key sized bed, decent working a/c, though the Wi-Fi was slow with limited bandwidth. Even though the decor in the room was tired and worn, the bathroom had been refurbished the bed was relatively new (nice plush mattress and clean bed linen). The room overlooked the rear car parking area, which meant I could keep a check on the car, not that I was expecting a view given the relatively cheap room rate ($110/night as opposed to $176/night). The room however was relatively dark, with only a single window. We took advantage of the QR code room service for our breakfast option, due to its connivence - the food was alright (not amazing) and on occasions was cold/warm rather than hot. The timing of housekeeping was a bit erratic, as sometimes when we arrived back after lunch it still hadn't been done and other times it was done as soon as we left in the morning. Resupplies to the room by housekeeping was also inconsistent, sometimes we had hand towels and bathmats replaced other times we were left without. Same with tissues and water bottles.

The rear car parking area had CCTV cameras, so I was comfortable with the surveillance/security however if you got back later in the evening there wasn't a lot of vacant bays, and we were there when the hotel was relatively quiet - I could imagine parking would be at a premium when it is busy. You do get a fair bit of noise in the morning from the trucks offloading liquor to the bottle shop (reversing beepers/crashing of bottles etc)

The laundry and the gym area were really hammered and had obviously see better days - though the gym did have clean towels and fresh water bottles, when I could access it. There is only one washing machine and one clothes dryer - so you need to closely watch when other people's loads finish as otherwise you could be up half the night doing your laundry.

In summary don't hold any high expectations about the Gateway Hotel, it is what it describes itself as - a centrally located 3 star hotel.
Date of stay: January 2024
    AU$195
  • Vio.com
4.7 km from Gateway Hotel by Nightcap Plus
View more hotels in Devonport
All reviews quality hotel spa room place to stay off street parking visit devonport excellent location comfortable stay stayed one night centre of town continental breakfast ferry terminal tasmania spirit accommodation
Selected filters
Reviewed 13 September 2023

My recent stay at the Gateway Devonport was certainly one to write about. I booked in at the last minute after a day trip for work turned into an overnight. I usually stay at another hotel in the area but was wanting to try somewhere new. I stayed in one of the spa rooms which is well worth the small extra cost. The bed was the best hotel bed I have come across in years and I enjoyed my stay so much I decided to stay another night. The room service was quick and the food was excellent quality. The extra features of the room (QR code room service, automatic blinds and curtains, spa bath, Smart TV etc) just added to my wonderful stay. I would like to make an extra special mention to Sherri at reception who checked me in on my first night and was so lovely to chat too. I also came across Sherri on my second night and she remembered me by name and again was so pleasant, it really elevated my stay. Thank you so much Sherri - your customer service skills and warm nature really made me feel at home at the Gateway. I would highly recommend this hotel to anyone staying in the Devonport area and would definitely consider it a pick above the rest.

Date of stay: September 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
Katherine Paech, General Manager at Gateway Hotel by Nightcap Plus, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2023

Thank you for such a wonderful review, tassieg603.
It is always lovely to receive such positive feedback and know our guests have had a comfortable stay.
I will happily pass on your comments to Sherri - she is certainly an asset to our team and she will be happy to receive this recognition.
Thanks again, and we look forward to seeing you soon at Gateway Hotel by Nightcap Plus.
Regards
Katherine
Venue Manager

Reviewed 1 July 2023

The location was good, with plenty of off-street parking. The receptionist was friendly and helpful at check-in and the lift made access to our accommodation very easy. The room was spacious and clean, with a large screen television and a very comfortable kingsize bed. The modern bathroom had all the expected amenities, although the exhaust fan was very loud when it came on automatically in the middle of the night. Overall, excellent value and we would certainly stay here again.

Date of stay: June 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Thank you for your review and feedback, Mary23Australia.
It is great to know you had such a wonderful stay.
Safe travels, and we hope to see you again at Gateway Hotel by Nightcap Plus.
Regards
Katherine
Venue Manager

Reviewed 28 March 2023

Excellent location for ferry. The deluxe king spa room with river view was very comfortable. The continental breakfast ($) was fresh, filling and reasonably priced. some free parking out the back. Staff were friendly with check-in and checkout easy and quick.

Room tip: There are about ten steps from the car park to the back entrance, some may consider taking luggage through the front entrance before parking
Date of stay: March 2023
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 February 2023

For the very cheap price I paid for this accommodation, I wasn't expecting much, but was pleasantly surprised. My room was lovely, spacious, my bed very comfortable. Front counter staff were lovely, and the restaurant wasn't too bad either. It's walking distance from the redline bus stop, the mall and where the Spirit of Tasmania leaves. I had issues with the airconditioner but they sent help straight away. I am one of those people who likes the aircon on and it kept sending heat. The only real negative I have is that it's not in the safest of areas, and when I would walk anywhere I would regularly get accosted by local drug addicts who gave me a bit of a hard time, but that's not the hotel's fault. Can just be a little dicey at night so be careful if on you're own. Overall, very reasonable place to stay.

Date of stay: November 2022
Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 26 February 2023

We were in the area for work and sport and booked this hotel as many other options in the region were expensive. We had stayed here many years go when it was a Quality hotel and found it a bit average... however, we were pleasantly surprised - the room was nice and had a view of the water in the distance. The parking was fine - got a bit busy one night but there is plenty of street parking otherwise. We had an Executive King on the second floor. Our package was supposed to include 2 welcome drinks but they were not offered on check in and we had to prompt them. The checkout was slow. We would stay again for the location, value and price but the service could be imrpoved.

Date of stay: February 2023