“Luxury from a bygone era” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Five Frogs Guest and Tea House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Carcoar
Five Frogs Guest and Tea House
Ranked #2 of 2 Carcoar B&B and Inns
Sydney
“Luxury from a bygone era”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 August 2012

Attracted by the photographs on the Internet, I booked a 3 night stay at the Five Frogs Guesthouse. I mentioned to Melanie, at the time, that I wanted to book the Hioneymoon suite as a special treat for my birthday.

Melanie called me the night before my departure to find out whether she could make any dinner reservations for me. When I mentioned I was on my own, she (remembering that it was my birthday) immediately invited me to join her for dinner. I was completely taken aback by her thoughtfulness.

So, on my first night at the Five Grogs, I joined Melanie for dinner in the grand dining room for a candle lit dinner. Not only did we enjoy a delicious meal, freshly prepared by her, but Melanie had bought me a box of chocolates as a gift. I've travelled widely but have never experienced such hospitality.

The Honeymoon suite lived up to my expectations. I particularly enjoyed the king size bed, big spa bath and heated floor tiles.

Breakfast was served in the sun room. Apart from fresh fruit, yoghurt, cereals, etc. Melanie offered to cook a range of options. Virtually every taste is catered for. I particularly enjoyed the little touches, like the daily newspaper, fresh flowers, chocolates and cappucino.

Throughout my stay, Melanie was a gracious and attentive hostess, without being intrusive. She warmed the guest lounge, in case I wanted to use it, offered to put out wine for the evening, enquired about my plans for the day, etc.

I explored the historic towns of Carcoar, Millthorpe, Sofala and Hill End. Unfortunately, I didn't get to dine at Tonic but did have a late lunch at the Old Mill Cafe - a must!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank EagerTravelerSydney

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Loch, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

After reading reviews on Trip Advisor we were anticipating a wonderful experience at Five Frogs in Carcoar. Sadly we were very disappointed. Firstly our bed, the sheets didn't fit, the manager confessed they had had a busy weekend & she was short of bed linen. Our bed was also short of linen literally, bottom sheet too short didn't even tuck in and pillows old and worn out. In the bathroom, our shower was dirty, one towel per person supplied for 3 nights with one hand towel & facewasher to be shared between 2 people. Our room was not serviced once during a 3 day stay. When I wanted to plug in a battery charger I discovered accumulated fluff and dirt under the curtains beside the bed. Breakfast on 2 mornings was self serve as our hostess had to go to another job. The chocolate frogs offered once only on the first night on the beside table were over 6 months past their use by date. A shame as Carcoar is a lovely town well worth visiting.

Room Tip: Don't accept the honeymoon suite. It is directly over the Post office and sleep is disturbed by...
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2012

Highly recommend this B&B, the rooms were beautifully appointed, huge beds and great bathroom with a gigantic bath, heated floors, we even had a little sitting room upstairs which was lovely and warm, had a glass or two of red which was all included with the cost of the room. Our hostess couldn't do enough for us and breakfast was cooked to perfection. If you get the chance I suggest you have a look in the old Court House in Carcoar - very interesting, there was also a shop in one of the front rooms of the Court House full of pottery, made by the shopkeeper's wife. We had dinner at Tonic Restaurant in Millthorpe on the Saturday night which is an absolute must, just make sure you don't eat a big lunch as the servings were very generous.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Hobart, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 June 2012

If you didn't know where Carcoar was you'd drive straight past. Luckily we didn't and what a great surprise. A wonderful little historic country town where time just seems to have passed it by. We spent a very relaxing night at the Five Frogs Guest and Tea House and thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The beautifully restored house dates back to 1879 and was originally the town Post Office. Our hostess was very welcoming and friendly. Our upstairs room, with well appointed en-suite, was large, tasfully decorated, very comfortable and cosy. Our only regret was we only had time to stay the one night. We'll be back.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

Carcoar is magic. It's a little town that feels as though it has not chaged in the past 50 years. And there is no better place to stay and explore this gem that at the Five Frogs. The hostess was lovely and made us feel right at home. The rooms are large and cosy and are perfect for a couples getaway. I almost dont want to tell anyone about it so it remains the best kept secret!

Room Tip: King rooms and honeymoon rooms are on the top floor and certainly worth the extra cash.