“2 weeks and speaking Spanish in small sentences!”

Yelapa English Spanish Institute
Ranked #4 of 10 things to do in Yelapa
Type: Other
Reviewed 11 January 2012

My kids (2 teenagers) and I both took Spanish lessons - 3 hours a day Monday to Friday for 2 weeks. Loved it. Jean is an excellent and knowledgeable teacher, who teaches with a heavy concentration on oral work! This gets you started really quickly. I am proud to say that by the end of the 2 weeks, I was able to communicate using simple sentences and the locals actually understood me! How fantastic. I'm sure results vary depending on the thickness of one's skull, but even I managed to do well!

My kids had their own classes and I partnered with a lady from Seattle!

She also arranged a day of tortilla making and a lunch with a local Yelapa woman. What fun! We had a traditional chicken "sopa" accompanied by our homemade, although very deformed tortillas! Jean seems to know all the right folks in town.

The kids were put in touch with a local girl their age and spent an afternoon playing games in Spanish.

Really, really great course. A nice way to keep your brain functioning on an otherwise, unchallenging, but super enjoyable trip to Yelapa.

The town is very safe, lots of restaurants, fabulous beaches, and wonderful hikes into the jungle are easy to accomplish in a day. No cars, just people sharing the paths with donkeys. Our second visit to the town of Yelapa and just as enjoyable as the first.

Thinking of sending our oldest for a month in the summer to live with a local family and be immersed in the language. And - of course - more Spanish lessons from Jean.

Must get back to work and try and save for this adventure!

Jean would be a great person to approach about where to stay and to also arrange a home-stay, if that is your wish.

There are newer reviews for Yelapa English Spanish Institute

Reviewed 5 January 2012

Juanita was very helpful with suggestions about places to stay and things to do while in the Yelapa area. She also adapted my lessons to suit my level, and we accomplished a lot in two weeks. She has extensive resources and a lot of knowledge and experience with second language instruction.
She kindly took me under her wing, introduced me to her friends, and showed me some good nightlife and live music spots. ....(too many margueritas!)
I recommend her highly for Spanish instruction while in Yelapa.
thanks, Juanita!

Reviewed 12 December 2011

trips, fish, hike, a bit cold water but ok to swimm, plan ahead

Reviewed 10 December 2011

Don't hesitate to learn Spanish with Jean Hnyeka and the folks at YESI. Jean is incredibly flexible and a talented teacher. Whether a few hours on a short trip, or extended classes, Jean is not only a terrific teacher, she is a walking history book of Yelapa. Her blogs are also fun!

Reviewed 20 June 2011

I took private class from Juanita for several days and it was fabulous. She is a great teacher, very patient and has a great depth of language knowledge. She was very good at explaining complex concepts as well as reviewing some weak spots that I had based on listening to me speak.

Juanita was extremely helpful in getting me all the Yelapa info that I needed as well as coordinating a homestay during my trip.

I would highly recommend YESI and Juanita