“Do not stay in standard accomodation (Oyster Bay)” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Butlins Bognor Regis Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Bognor Regis
Butlins Bognor Regis Resort
Ranked #4 of 9 Hotels in Bognor Regis
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“Do not stay in standard accomodation (Oyster Bay)”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

We have just returned from a family weekend at Bulins, Bognor Regis. This being our first ever visit to Butlins i have to say the experience was far from brilliant.

We had a room booking staying in Oyster Bay, the room was just awful, the size of a shoe box with two single beds and it was freezing cold. The windows were the old fashioned wooden type and the door had a half inch gap around the frame so you could see daylight through it which caused a huge draft.

The shower was merely a few drops of water, impossible to wash the shampoo out of your hair as hardly any water came out.

Oyster Bay is extremely noisy at night so no chance of sleeping, we had a load of shouting and singing going on around the complex from other guests and no security in sight.

To top it all off at 6.20am on Saturday morning, the Maintenance Team on resort decided to turn on a water jet and start cleaning the surrounding buildings/roofs.

I immediately got on the phone to Guest Services as i could not take any more, i was shattered from no sleep, freezing cold from the draft coming through the door/windows in our room and then more racket from a water jet at 6.20am was just absolutely ridiculous.

I did receive an apology and the Maintenance Manager advised me that he would get the water jet turned off asap, which he did and it was turned off at around 6.45am. I did ask why the need to do this at 6.20am and was given the response of, " we like to keep the resort clean and it cannot be done in the day with guests walking around the resort". I was told that the issues i had raised would be passed onto the Resort Manager who would call me back later that morning.

Another issue was eating in the Coral Beach buffet resturant, there were a group of travellers staying on resort and they felt it acceptable to turn up for breakfast in their pajamas, one even turned up for breakfast in a night shirt! When i raised this with a member of staff i was told that they could not do anything about it as there was no dress code for the resturant. I could hear other guests around me commenting on their appearance so it wasn't just me, they refused to speak to each other like normal people do and screamed at each other accross their table which meant that the whole resturant could hear their conversations.

Butlins - i suggest you bring in a dress code for this reason!!

Needless to say, the Resort Manager did call me back later that morning and was extremely apologetic and took on board everything i had raised, he arranged for us to be moved into the Wave Hotel and we were given a beautiful room, with heating and a shower that actually worked.

I would never ever consider returning to Butlins unless in hotel accomodation in future, standard accomodation in Oyster Bay was/is by far below standard! i guess you get what you pay for and we have certainly learnt our lesson in this instance.

Room Tip: If you can afford too, stay in the hotels!
3 Thank Clair B

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (779)
  • Polish first
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013

I was looking forward to my first visit to Butlins since my childhood with MY family 2 adults and 2 under ten and i was disappointed with the Silver room standards.
Looking at the reviews prior to going didn't deter as i know that some people will moan about anything! But it was all true - we stayed in the oyster bay chalets at the top and due to the main road into Bognor going past we were kept awake by the passing night traffic and the infuriating clock tower in the nearby park which rings every hour!!!!! The room was ok but overall disappointing. The front door had a gap which left the valued warm air out so had all the heaters on just to keep warm. Walls are thin so every noise can be heard above and either side (why can't people learn that when staying in places like this just to be a little courteous) People screaming at there kids at 11pm to go to sleep is not great when it wakes yours up that have been asleep since 9pm - you get my drift.......
Area's of the park are great and offer the entertainment you want., yet other area's let it down.
Amusement arcades are a nightmare with kids running around everywhere!! Where are their mums and dads??
Some area's of the park were grubby and it only appeared to have a handful of staff to sort this out
Splash World was great and lived up to expectations - changing rooms could do with heated flooring!!!
All in all the children enjoyed themselves but we would have rather spent the money elsewhere
so that WE ALL would have had a great time.

Room Tip: It would appear that the Ocean and Wave Hotels offer superior accomodation, but is the extra money w...
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2013 via mobile

Just returned from my first butlins weekend with my children and friends (17 of us in total).
We were fortunate enough to be staying in the ocean hotel.
From the moment we drove into the resort we were treated like VIPs!
Although check in was stated to be 3 pm, when we arrived at 2pm we were told we could see if our rooms were ready which they were- our room on the first floor was spacious, clean and had everything we needed- comfortable bed too!

The ocean hotel has the butlins butlers which we found we used frequently- making dinner reservations, bringing luggage from the car to the room, advising us what we should be doing etc- many thanks to Spencer!

The kids loved the swimming pool and it was great having a hotel only slot which meant it was less crowded, not only were there lots of lifeguards but I noticed at least two staff members constantly mopping and cleaning up any water in the changing rooms.

There was so much entertainment for the children that we barely stopped from morning to late evening and again a perk of being a hotel guest was a matinee showing of Sesame Street show and character breakfast.

We ate half board, mainly in the kaleidoscope restaurant. All you can eat buffet which suited my kids brilliantly- no waiting and they helped themselves- we found Yvonne went out of her way to make our stay special, reserving our large table every day and setting it with smaller cutlery for the children.

We had a fantastic time, a lot of this was down to the amazing staff who at all times were friendly and helpful - they wanted to be there, and really enjoyed their jobs.
Redcoats George who happily stayed and chatted with us for ages, the skyline gang who posed for 30-40 mins to ensure each one of the children who wanted a photo and cuddle got one.
The redcoats assisting the characters who again never rushed the characters along

I'm a butlins convert and can't wait to return, but for now it's back to work for a rest............!!

Stayed February 2013
1 Thank Ladylaffers
hampshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

We stayed at Bognor Butlins from 22nd-25th Feb in a silver apartment Atlantic bay.
We have visited Butlins about 5 times in the last 6 years staying on a week end break.
My son (10) loved the football coaching, the guys who run this are very professional and keep the kids motivated, unfortunately as the weather was so cold my son decided to opt out the second day.
We brought the leisure passes up front which includes, bowling, American pool, crazy golf and another go on one of these things. We were disappointed to learn the cinema has now been closed down this used to be included as well.
The evening shows that were on we enjoyed the Jesse J tribute and MK1, unfortunately you have to be careful when queuing to get in because the pikey women will just push in. We would of liked to see Dick and Dom but they show these at the same time and we didn't fancy queuing up in the big queue for centre stage.
Now for the bad points:
Apartment no.7 spintaker Atlantic bay. The apartments seem to have gone downhill quite a lot over the years. On the first night we found out the hob didn't work so had to heat the baked beans in the microwave. We did text maintenance and it was changed while we were out it. I was very pleased that it was repaired quickly and I got a text back to let me know. The downside was they left a mess over the floor and there was no dustpan and brush in the apartment to clean it up even though we had a broom seems pointless with no dustpan.
The bathroom plug hole was disgusting I won't go into details but it was best not to look down it.
The energy saving bulbs in the kitchen were useless and you could hardly see what you were cooking, the extractor fan didn't work and there was no fire blanket.
Good point the rooms were really warm and the beds were comfortable.
Butlins should really look when they are allocating rooms we had 6 young adults in the room above us and getting woken up at 1.30am when they are coming in from the nightclub is not much fun, 2 nights in a row on the 3rd night I was going to bang on the ceiling but luckily they had an early night. My mum did mention this to customer service when we left and they said we should of complained on the 1st night and they would of moved us but after unpacking all our clothes going food shopping and unpacking this the last thing we want to do is move especially as we were only there 3 nights.
The swimming pool is still good but same old problem with lack of family changing rooms and charge for the hair dryers all the money Butlins make surely these could be free.
My mum went to Bingo on the last night unfortunately there was not enough people so it was cancelled it would be a good idea if they put this on during the day not at the same times as the evening entertainment.
Archery was good but again this should be free as well as the climbing wall, Firstchoice don't charge.
Conclusion: we did enjoy our stay but now the kids are getting older I don't think we will be returning. The activities for their age are the ones you have to pay for. My parents who are both retired were bored at times as there is nothing for there age group.
Unfortunately the old fashioned holiday camp is gone and has been replaced with how much money they can make out of you

1 Thank poppet1802
London, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 February 2013

The positives: the staff are all very cheery and helpful, didn't encounter anything but smiles and helpfulness across the board which is rare, given he size of the operation. The entertainment was surprisingly good, all the shows we saw were very well done, polished, professional affairs, very enjoyable, magic shows, pantos, music tribute acts, all very good. The apartment (gold) was ok, nothing special, but warm, clean and reasonably well appointed, wasn't expecting much, and it did not disappoint, if you want marble floors and Molton Brown soap, go to Dubai! Most of all, and this is the main point of the place, the kids love it, it really is aimed at them and it works for them.

The negatives: we went at half term and it was much too crowded. the public facilities cannot cope with the number of people they are pushing through the doors. The pool was particularly in pleasant, so crowded you could hardly move, and queuing for 40 mins for a water slide, just ridiculous. They are hanging what I think is pretty good money, so I think they should have a think about this policy, it would make me think twice about coming again, it needed to be about half as full to be pleasant, maybe they should stop day trippers. The live venue, Centre Stage, was also very crowded, hard to find a seat, standing room only, and really, if this is all included, you should be able to get in there without issue. It's a shame because as I said, the entertainment was really good. I can't speak for the food, we took our own, which I think was a good move.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
Chichester Park Hotel
#6 of 9 in Chichester
36.3 km away
Holiday Inn Brighton - Seafront

Been to Butlins Bognor Regis Resort? Share your experiences!