All reviewsstable blockcoach housemain buildingnature reservewineglass restaurantbeautiful hotelold stablesdrawing roomlovely roomlots of characterlovely groundscourse dinnerfood was lovelywedding partysunday lunchsecret escapeswedding breakfast
Reviewed 12 May 2012

We had our wedding here in November and so you might think me biased but I really canot praise this hotel enough!

From day one we found all the staff helpful and unpushy. It's not an easy decision to choose a wedding venue but we fell in love with the architecture, history and decoration of Brownsover. Lesley and her team were always happy to answer any questions and tweak requirements.
We needed somewhere that we could pretty much take over on the day - the ceremony, meal and evening reception under one roof with enough rooms for all our guests so Brownsover ticked all the boxes. We had a meal at the hotel to sample the wedding meal - the food was delicious and the portions were huge! We did think they wouldn't be that size on the day but they were and all the guests said they were outstanded by the quaility and portion sizes of the wedding breakfast. They also commented that the meals were served warm which apparantly is a mission for 50 guests!

On arrival at the hotel the day before the staff bent over backwards to make us feel special - the rooms were immaculate and clean and if any guests had any issues they were rectified in no time at all.

The day of the wedding went far more smoothly than I could have ever imagined, and there were only happy faces and good comments to be said about the venue.

Breakfast the next day was stunning, and it was great to see all our family and friends in one venue.

I would truely recommend Brownsover to anyone, we will definantely be staying there again as a visiting guest for our anniversary. I can't fault them for anything!

Room Tip: Check if there is a wedding on and ask for the stable yard if you want to be somewhere a bit quiter. All the rooms are stunning though!
  • Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Thomas Cook
2  Thank Littlepicklenel
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 May 2012

Thank you so much for an amazing review. I remember your Wedding well, some stunning photos
The Team will be very happy! All the best

Reviewed 12 May 2012

10/10! I think we chose a perfect venue for our wedding on 31st March 2012. Right from the first moment of meeting Lesley Hollins, who was our wedding planner, nothing was to much trouble, I've never met a more enthusiastic person, her advice helping us with our special day. The grounds are fantastic for your photos and all the staff who worked on this day gave us impecible service. Staying the night before in a spacious room set the day off and Michael who looked after me during the morning checking that everything was in place, bringing me breakfast in my room earlier than the set time on the menu, and advising where to hang an important sign on the day, he couldnt have been more helpful. The whole venue with its fantastic architecture and history added to our day. One reason we chose the venue was that you are the only bride on the day, which I think is important, so you feel even more special.
Phil our toast master for the day then looked after us for the ceremony right through until the end of the disco, again nothing to much trouble, ensuring everything went smoothly and just as we wanted, actually better then we could have envisaged, the personal touch which is what you want. It wasnt just us who thought the venue and staff were great, our guests couldnt sing the praises of how Brownsover Hall made our day what it was, with alot of them staying over for a few nights and enjoying their rooms, food, grounds and stay. All I can say is that if I was a bride looking for a venue, with fantastic service, the personal touch, excellent food, beautiful grounds then I would definitely chose Brownsover Hall Hotel and if we could relive our day once again then I wouldnt change a thing - perfect is the word.
We found alot of our suppliers for our day from the wedding shows that Brownsover Hall put on thorugh the year and we had attended a few at different venues, but the suppliers from their shows were great and I would recommend going to these to. (Salters for Suits, Millhouse Events, Jane Andrews florist, Anna Ashfield for makeup) all gained from their wedding shows. Again a 10/10 if you choose this venue for your wedding. Can I do it all again please : o )

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2012

Thank you so much for your kind comments. I will pass on your words of thanks to Lesley, Michael and Phil who made the difference to your wedding arrangements. We look forward to welcoming you back on many occasions in the future.

Reviewed 7 May 2012

Small, comfortable hotel in its own grounds a good choice when in Rugby. Food was pretty good, service was good, prices were good, room was good, overall this is simply a good hotel. Not expensive, not exquisite, just simply good and i will be back when next in Rugby. Ideal for small conference or group meeting.This is not a Premier Inn which was the other option locally for the same price. It is not a culinary experience either way, but you will not go hungry either. Breakfast was very good, selection was good, ingredients very good, in a lovely room. The building is well preserved. We were there during a the big snap snow, but the old building was cosy throughout. The bar is pretty good.

Room Tip: Stay in Stable block and get the quiet side of the hotel, especially if there is a wedding or function in the main building.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with friends
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Thank you for your comments. we endeavour to provide a good customer experience and value for money. Thank you for letting us know what you appreciate but also what needs improvement.. I look forward to seeing you again at Brownsover Hall.

Reviewed 6 May 2012

We arrived to be given a nice, basic double room with complementary bottle of sparkling wine. We had to wait until 9pm till there was a space for us in the dining so were quite hungry by dinner. When we were shown in to the dining room there was loud pop/rap music blaring in from the wedding going on in the hotel. Apparently this happens every weekend. The food was basic and the veg was obviously not fresh - the carrots even looked like they could be from a tin. When we tried to get a drink in the bar after dinner the bar staff were extremely rude and unhelpful. We thought about complaining at the time but realised it wasn't worth it and that we would just share our experience through tripadvisor instead. I would steer clear of this place - the main hotel is grotty and run down and the free bottle of wine at the beginning was a nice sweetener but probably just because they knew what we were about to experience.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LondonAvA

Thanks for your comments, it is always worth complaining if you are not happy. This gives us an opportunity to put things right for you and if we have made a mistake to offer some compensation. I am very sorry you had to wait for a table on Saturday night, we were very busy but we do our best to prioritise hotel residents. It is a good idea to reserve a table in the future to avoid disappointment.
Our restaurant food is freshly prepared onsite, utilising the very best of seasonal and regional products. I am sorry to read that you suspected our vegetables came from a tin; I can sure you this is not the case.
Your experience in the bar is out of character and I apologise if you were not well received as you should be.
As purveyors of a Grade ll listed building we run the fine line between preserving an historic heritage and keeping comtemporary facilities our guests expect.

I am pleased you found us good value for money and would love to have an opportunity to convince you to try us again.

Reviewed 6 May 2012

The hotel is splendid and informal, both inside and out. The staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful and many of the party guests complimented both the buffet and the venue.

Stayed: May 2012

Delighted your birthday party was a success, thank you for choosing Brownsover for your celebrations.