“Great venue for 50th birthday party”

Brownsover Hall Hotel
Ranked #2 of 13 Hotels in Rugby
Reviewed 6 May 2012

The hotel is splendid and informal, both inside and out. The staff couldn't have been more friendly and helpful and many of the party guests complimented both the buffet and the venue.

Stayed: May 2012
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 May 2012

Delighted your birthday party was a success, thank you for choosing Brownsover for your celebrations.

Reviewed 29 April 2012

Visited here a couple of weeks ago for a one night stay with my wife.

The hotel is stunning. From the minute you walk in you are treated to a beautifully relaxing environment. The reception team were great.

We stopped in a double room which was massive. There was a sofa to relax on, a massive double bed, tv and all the usual trimmings found in a class hotel.

The bed was one of the comfiest i have encountered in a hotel.

The bathroom was spacious and spotlessly clean.

We did not have an evening meal but the menu looked good but more expensive than i would like.

We spent the evening in the bar which is very cosy. A reasonable selection of beers and spirits were available but the service, although friendly and efficient, was limited. Im not sure if they were short of staff but it took a while to track someone down whenever we wanted another drink.

Breakfast was absolutely super. The dining room was exquisite. In the centre of the room was a selection of cereals, pastries, fruit, yoghurts and cold meats. There was a great selection of hot food on the menu and a waitress took your order and everything was freshly cooked, none of this hot buffet malarky. Dont get me wrong, theres nothing wrong with the buffet approach, but it was nice for a change to have a cooked breakfast to order.

So overall i rate this hotel as very very good. Spot on for a relaxing romantic weekend.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2012

Thank you so much for your kind words and we are delighted you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to seeing you again.

Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stayed here during a recent business trip to the UK. All previous visits were fine but I had never spent a weekend here before, only occasional 'one-nighters' where it was a case of - check-in, bed, breakfast and check-out. However, on this occassion I stayed the weekend between meetings and looked forward to the rest and relaxation after a grueling week in France. It was a very poor decision!
Maybe due to a wedding party of rowdy guests, the bar was almost inaccessible due to the crowds, who hung around every spare feet of floor space with epicenter being the bar. The staff seemed to be missing in action and the 'WineGlass' restaurant where I sought refuge was truly horrific, albeit very quiet. The dining area was once a grand drawing room complete with chandeliers, but it is now a rather cold and inhospitable decaying relic. The tables had no salt & pepper, and the bread and butter on the center island were never offered. In fact after being seated in a window alcove I was ignored for 30mins. For main course I selected the 3-Fish pie which was the most appaling bowl of fish oil I have ever had the misfortune to encounter. After returning the meal uneaten I ordered a drink which appeared 15 mins later. The delays in between each appearance of a waiter did afford the opportunity to listen to the other two guests in my vicinity who were elderly Asians visiting the UK. The lady indicated she was ill all day from something she must have eaten. BTW - She ate at the hotel the previous night! When the waiter appeared she inquired what a shallot was? As a non-native English speaker this is understandable. However, this question completely stumped the young waiter who said he would go and find out from the chef but never returned during the next 30 mins I was there.
I was asked for my room number and the bill was charged (without discount), and I retired to the reception sitting area to have a beer there, as the bar had dissolved into bacchanalian chaos stemming from the wedding guests. The beer never came so I admitted defeat and returned to my room, navigating my way around the huddle of smokers outside the main building exit.
I do not know if this experience is typical of former country house hotels who have lowered their standards and try to make their money from wedding parties and employing teenagers. With the rich history of Brownsover Hall, it seems an awful shame to see such a national treasure dragged down to such a tawdry level.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 May 2012

I am very sorry we fell below your expectations on this occasion. Admittedly weddings are an important market for us,particularly at weekends and under normal circumstances, we are able to accommodate other groups and individuals at the same time without any problem, albeit only one wedding at a time.
I will certainly look into the important issues you raised to ensure standards are kept up at Brownsover Hall.
May I suggest you contact me personally and I would be happy to offer you an alternative weekend, where you can experience the setting and service at its best.
Alan Moxon gm@brownsoverhall.co.uk, DD 01788 555364

Reviewed 18 April 2012

I wanted to find somewhere equidistant from three cities where three middle aged schoolgirls could have a fun reunion!! This was perfect. The staff were able to accommodate us all in the one room, which was spacious and clean and even the sofa bed was comfortable. We booked in for the 3 course bed and breakfast offer and although I cannot comment on the breakfast (as we all slept past the 9 o'clock deadline), the three course dinner was superb. Nothing was too much trouble. The grounds are lovely too. Next time we want to get together, this hotel will be top of our list. Thank you so much to all the staff for making our stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: The hotel is far from the motorway so is quiet whichever side you sleep on!
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank travelexpress
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

Thank you so much for your comments. I am delighted you enjoyed your stay with, sounds as if you had fun. Value for money is what we strive for! Welcome back for the next reunion.

Reviewed 16 April 2012

My partner and I stayed for one night at this hotel after booking a deal on the website. The hotel is very picturesque and the grounds are very pretty and well kept. Our room was very nice, very high ceilings, and big oak doors and we had a lovely view overlooking the grounds. The staff were friendly and helpful, and the meal and breakfast we had in the restaurant were very good. It was a lovely quiet and relaxing break that we were looking for, and I have hinted to my partner it would be nice to get married there!!!!!

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
gmbrownsover, General Manager at Brownsover Hall Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2012

I hope he takes a hint, if not it is still a leap year! We have some fabulous wedding packages, just ask to speak to Lesley or Sarah.
Thank you for your comments and delighted you enjoyed your weekend with us.
Welcome back for your special day

Also consider these accommodations in or near Rugby
7.7 km away
The Carlton Hotel
#8 of 13 in Rugby
33.5 km away
Mercure Warwickshire Walton Hall Hotel & Spa
Mercure Warwickshire Walton Hall...
#1 of 1 in Wellesbourne Hastings

Been to Brownsover Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!