“Do not stay here”

Normanton Park Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Croydon
Normanton Park Hotel
Ranked #23 of 24 Hotels in Croydon
Reviewed 21 October 2015 via mobile

This place is terrible. Do not believe the website. It is flithy, dirty and falling to pieces. The curtains are black with filth and the whole place is unkept. Believe the reviews that this place is seriously scary. Avoid at all costs

Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dorota1975

Reviewed 24 March 2015

Like at least one other reviewer, we got as far as the reception ... and chickened out. The hotel isn't a hotel in any normal understanding of the word. The outside appearance alone should have been enough to put us off: mismatched curtains that did not appear to have been opened in a long while, a decrepit rusting car (probably a non-runner) parked on the driveway, grimy paintwork and a general air of dereliction about the place.

We walked up to the front door and noticed that there were no lights on inside, so rang the bell. A disembodied voice answered "Come in" from somewhere inside. The door was open so we went into the darkened reception area. There was no one behind the desk, but a voice from behind us alerted us to the presence of life. A person, whom I presumed to be the owner, was sitting in a low armchair in the corner. He appeared slightly confused when my husband announced that we had booked a room ...

Before the owner had a chance to get his head around our booking, someone else arrived. He must have been a regular, as he appeared to know which room he wanted and brushed off the owner's confusion with a smile. While the owner dithered over the other guest, we looked around at the darkened reception with its empty fishtanks and the darkened hall beyond. I whispered into my husband's ear, "let's run for it, while we still can." He suggested we look at the room, but I was convinced we would probably find the previous occupant under the bed or something.

Reading some of the other reviews here, I wasn't far wrong ...

If you choose to stay here, please post a review just to let the rest of the world know that you survived.

Stayed: March 2015, travelled as a couple
12  Thank Brigid_Rynne
Reviewed 7 March 2015 via mobile

I Was put in to this so called Hotel by Croydon Council when I was homeless it was not that great then back in 1997 I did not have a choice back then but I can not see how people are paying for rooms like that when they have a choice it just shows you that you get what you pay for I would not stay there out of choice and pay good money for the privilege it is a place that Croydon Council send you before they give you a flat

• Stayed: April 2014
6  Thank Eric B
Reviewed 18 January 2015

Initially booked two nights , upon meeting the owner I did find him pleasant , he kindly gave me the on suite room at no extra cost which I thought was a kind gesture.

The owner did show me the room and left me to it.

I had plans to see some family this evening and went out and returned late in evening.

Upon the room being extremely cold there was a portable heater to heat up the entire room no other heating was on.

Upon entering the bed (pulling the quilt back) I noticed bits in the bed and on pillows , it was that cold I didn't bother having a shower I slept in my clothes and had my own bath gown on and socks to try and keep warm.

I checked out the following morning and left a not for the owner for a refund of the second night.

I went back to the hotel in the afternoon for my second nights refund the owner was reluctant to give the full amount then said as a good will gesture he would provide a full refund.

He was not happy with the note I wrote explaining the room was cold and I just could not stay any longer he got a little irate and asked me to wait whilst he wrote the receipt out then I left.

The breakfast is stated on the website but I didn't get to try this or get asked.

I would never stay here again

Stayed: January 2015, travelled on business
3  Thank dspark2015
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Me and my partner stayed in this hotel. When we first walked in we wanted to walk straight back out but, we thought we mite aswell look at the room. The room was okay, there is a lot of strange people here so we got ready went out we got back rather late tried to go straight to sleep then had someone who LIVES here trying to clime thought our window at 3am in the morning. I have never been so scared in my life will never come here ever again and I not sure how the place is still open.

• Stayed: June 2014