“Great Food, Service was a little lacking”
Review of Atesh restaurant

Atesh restaurant
Ranked #35 of 544 Restaurants in Croydon
Price range: USD 4 - USD 20
Description: Succulent traditional turkish meze and kebab,to stew and seafood.with elegent decoration as well as our warm hospitality staff will create a perfect atmosphere.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

We came here for a mid-week meal and had a good evening.

Place was pretty quiet for 7pm but maybe another 6 tables were occupied.

Our server to begin with was great and friendly, we ordered a bottle of wine and 2 x starters to share.

We ordered Calamari & Hummus with bread, food arrived and was so tasty. Hummus was homemade and was so nice. We ordered our mains, I asked if I could swap the rice for another side i.e. more salad as i'm not a fan of rice but was not allowed to remove or change the rice which I thought was odd and a waste of food as the rice still came with my meal and was left untouched.

Food was good, really tasty and fresh, portion sizes were good and the prices were reasonable about £11 for a chicken main dish.

After our main meals were served the service seemed to die a death and we were left with our empty plates for what seemed like forever. About 30 minutes after we finished the plates were cleared. We then sat finishing our drinks and waiting to be asked if we would like any deserts / drinks etc but this did not happen.

Trying to get our bill was a mission in itself, all the waiters seemed to have disappeared and when we did find 1 staff member we had to ask him 3 times for the card machine before it was actually brought to us.

Food was good, service was okay and I still a little baffled with the rice situation....

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Service was good, the restaurant interior was beautiful the bathrooms are beautifully designed and well cleaned.
The staff are very pushy about drinks and like to upsell on that.
But other than that the value for money is very good, portions are good and the quality of the food was terrific. I had the lamb sheesh and it was cooked beautifully. It wasn’t dry and tough it was so buttery soft easy to cut through. I like my lamb pink so the blood on the bread didn’t bother me as much. However the bulgur wheat was very dry.

I had bukluva for desert and may I say the top was slightly dry but still delicious.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank Cleaver1995
Reviewed 20 March 2018 via mobile

Cannot fault the food and service at this restaurant. The food is of good quality, well presented and plentiful, very good value. The staff are friendly and helpful. The only reason I marked it down slightly is PLEASE sort out the toilets! There is obviously a plumbing issue and this needs to be sorted!

1  Thank jackiec749
Reviewed 19 March 2018 via mobile

Having heard about this new restaurant in Croydon, my brother suggested coming here for lunch with my mum.

We arrived on a snowy day to a beautifully decorated restaurant, with friendly and helpful staff.

We were shown to a table by a waiter who took our drinks order. The menu seemed quite typical of Turkish cuisine and we chose the borek (feta and spinach parcels) and Turkish sausage. They arrived in good time with a side of bread. I didn't try the sausage but my brother said it was nice. The bread was not even toasted which was a shame, as each piece was absolutely huge and in my experience, this type of bread is delicious when slightly grilled. The borek itself were deep fried and small with a nonexistent and tasteless filling. I've eaten this in other restaurants and so I know its flavour. This missed the mark completely.

We chose a lamb shish, chicken shish and lamb sarma for mains; two with fries instead of rice. The food came after some time but we were chatting so it was fine. I didn't really enjoy my main. The chicken was a little dry and flavourless, the chips were overcooked and hard and the salad - while fresh had no sauce or seasoning to it. The whole meal was quite bland and uneventful and I was quite disappointed. The food came on pieces of flat bread but they just got soggy during the meal. I also thought the presentation could have been better, as it did not look very appetising. My mum felt the same about her food but my brother did enjoy his lamb shish.

I would like to say how excellent our service was and how lovely and attentive the staff were. Unfortunately this is not enough to make me come back here again.

I shall stick with the other Turkish restaurants in the area.

Reviewed 13 March 2018

This was the second time I have visited this place and the food was delicious. The portions are very generous for the mains. The speciality dishes are out of this world. Be a bit cautious of the chilli sauce thought its very hot!! Try a Turkish tea after your meal, it's really pleasant.

1  Thank SouthLondon