“New Year's Eve Celebrations 2010 - The Ice Ball” 5 of 5 bubbles

Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa
Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Camberley
GreenLeadersBronze level
Guildford, United Kingdom
“New Year's Eve Celebrations 2010 - The Ice Ball”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2011

This was the first time that we tried and organised event. My husband and I wanted a 'grown up' (no kids) evening to celebrate the New Year. We also didn’t want to travel to far from home and opted for the Frimley venue which was just 20 mins from home. The Ice Ball by far exceeded all of our expectations. My wish was to dress up in my long swishy evening dress and enjoy an evening of dancing, good food with like-minded people. Our hotel room was really nice and comfortable and all around 10/10. The event ticked all the boxes and we will definitely recommend it and would go again. The perfect way to see in the New Year! We also enjoyed the cooked breakfast and we spent the rest of New Year's day relaxing in the spa. Just perfect!

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Enola_Collins
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 5 January 2011
Thank you Enola_Collins for your kind comments. I will of course pass on your comments to my team. As you have experienced, they are very passionate and committed to delivering the highest standards of service, quality and customer care which is shown by the number of guests that are coming back for a return visit, time and time again. We look forward to extending you a warm welcome back next year!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (218)
  • Polish first
Reading, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 December 2010

I booked this hotel for a 2 day get away for mine and my husband’s anniversary. I was attracted to the hotel because of the Macdonald name and also that is was a Spa hotel. When booking the hotel, I made a note on the booking form to say this was our anniversary and I would really like a nice peaceful room – I had upgraded to a superior. You can imagine my disappointment when the view from our room was the hotel roof and there were builders out there so we had to keep the curtains shut. Even more to my disappointment, we were woken up at 7.30am the following morning to these builders starting their work! I did complain about this and re-iterated that I had specifically asked for a quiet room and all I got was a mumbled apology and was told it wouldn’t happen the next day.

On arriving at the hotel, I was disappointed as it is basically situated within a housing estate – there are no grounds to speak of so please don’t go here expecting to have a nice walk around the grounds. Because it was a spa hotel I had visions of walking around in robes from our room to the pool area – how wrong was I! Firstly no robes provided in the superior rooms and secondly the spa is separate from the hotel. You have to walk outside, through the car-park to get there, so you have to be fully dressed. We didn’t have any treatments so can’t comment there, but the pool area just consisted of a pool, steam room and sauna and was very shabby – not quite what we had in mind for our day at the spa!

I have to say that the food and service was very good – the staff were very friendly however I did feel at times that the clients there using the business facilities were more important than us. I think if you were to use this venue for an occasion rather than just a 2 night stay you would probably have a better experience. I also have to say I thought the hotel was extremely over-priced for what it was – in my opinion the prices were relative to a country house hotel which this definitely was not.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 30 December 2010
Thank you chinke for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this occasion.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2010

We booked a 2 day stay for 7 people - meeting room, activity room, Black Tie dinner etc. for a team to talk through and set it's strategy for 2011, as well as having some fun. Great service from the Conference Team, prior to and during the stay. Great food, and we were well looked after throughout our stay. Nice rooms, with good bathrooms and showers. Lovely ambience from the real fire, with a quiet enviromnent.

A memorable stay and the perfect setting to talk about the future, and get to know one another better.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 December 2010
Thank you EnergyMan2010 for your kind comments. I will of course pass on your comments to my team. As you have experienced, they are very passionate and committed to delivering the highest standards of service, quality and customer care which is shown by the number of guests that are coming back for a return visit, time and time again. We look forward to extending you a warm welcome back.
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2010

Stayed here last week with a group of girlfriends on a night away from the kids. We got a good value weekday deal that included dinner and a spa. It wasn't expensive but I guess you get what you pay for. The room was the noisiest I have ever stayed in - we could literally hear next door's ablutions plus every conversation that took place from 6.30am in the corridor outside. Our friend's room had a shower that didn't work. Sadly the much longed for sleep and lie-in didn't happen!
Dinner was OK-ish. Certainly nothing to rave about. The restaurant was freezing, lacking in atmosphere and unfortunately our waiter could not speak English. Trying to get a pre-dinner drink was a disaster - I had to ask three times as the barman studiously ignored us. When the drinks finally arrived after 20 mins they were wrong. Breakfast was a similarly average affair. We had to call the waiter over to take our orders after sitting there for 10 minutes being ignored. When it arrived it was pretty good though. I witnessed an American guest on the next table trying to ask the non-English speaking waiter for two eggs 'sunny side up' - I had to chuckle and wondered what his chances were of actually getting his order.
The Spa is OK - therapists and treatment rooms are nice. Lots of tiles coming away in the steam room and the pool is freezing.
Overall a bit disappointing, mostly due to the service which is universally indifferent. Sad because you feel that this hotel could be really quite nice with a bit of staff training.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you whatleylover for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this occasion.
Haverfordwest, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2010

We arrived , in the snow, after a 5 hour drive to be told that the Restaurant was closed as there were 2 Chrstmas parties being held at the hotel that night. We were offered a list of nearby restaurants or ordering off the lounge menu (sandwiches). We didn't want to venture out into the snow again so opted for sandwiches only to find the people next to us being served steak and chips! Apparently the receptionist had forgotten to tell us that we could have ordered from the room service menu as well !
To add insult to injury we were also too early for breakfast and only had the option of continental breakfast in our room for £13.50 service charge. Very dissapointing when we had paid £355 for 2 nights B&B!
We complined and were told that we could have a hot breakfast in the room. I ordered Poached eggs which tasted of vinegar - not nice. I addition the room was so small there was no where to sit and eat breakfast - we ended up balancing on the edge of our beds eating off our laps.
Altogether a very dissapointing stay!
On the plus side the reception area was nicely decorated and we enjoyed the lounge area with the open fire. However the new extension doesn't blend in and the rooms are small.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 15 December 2010
Thank you nursea66 for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this occasion. If you would like to contact me at the Hotel directly, I would be more than happy to discuss your comments further and resolve the outstanding issues for you.

Travellers are raving about these Camberley hotels

Also consider these accommodations in or near Camberley
2.2 km away
15.2 km away
Great Fosters
Great Fosters
#1 of 5 in Egham

Been to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!