“Spa let it down”

GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Spa let it down”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

We've visited Frimley twice now, the first in November 2011 for our anniversary, and the 2nd time in April 2012 with some friends. The staff at the hotel were lovely and the food was amazing. On our first trip we turned up on the motorbike, and felt somewhat underdressed as we went to reception, as a wedding was taking place, but everyone was in good spirits, and we were greated warmly by staff. On both occasions, we particurlarly loved the service by the restaurant staff, they were helpful, explained everything clearly (we had a package deal), made us feel comfortable and we could not fault it. The food was amazing. The breakfast was also lovely, and of good quality. Unfortunately on both occasions though, the spa let us down. The first disappointment (after I rang to confirm our bookings twice, two weeks before, and the day before) was the stuff up of our 2 hour treatment, the gym blaming the spa, and the spa not really caring as they are all teenagers, and we ended up with 30 minute treatments. The 2nd time we went (our friends booked) once again very young lady ignored us for 15 minutes before all of a sudden 'switched on, or woke up' and took me in for a very average massage and because i was feeling annoyed noted it was a 22 minute massage, not a 30 minute. My friend ended up having to wait half an hour as her therapist hadn't turned up.

Room Tip: Both our rooms were lovely, the trip in April 2012 we had a bath and shower in the room, which was a...
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KiwiMichelle74
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Many thanks KiwiMichelle74 for your review. Whilst I was pleased to note that you enjoyed your stay in general, please be assured that your comments regarding the Spa have been passed to the new Spa Manger for review and action accordingly.
I do hope that you will afford us the opportunity to extend you a warm welcome back soon.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (219)
  • Polish first
Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2012

The actual hotel I'd give a 3.5 or maybe a 4. But it's the very service minded staff that make it a 5. I've stayed there twice, once for business and once with family, and on both occasions I found the staff very helpful and friendly; all of them, from the Spa/pool staff to restaurant, reception and porters.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Many thanks BrettNottingham for your review. As you have experienced, they are very passionate and committed to delivering the highest standards of service, quality and customer care which is shown by the number of guests that are coming back for a return visit, time and time again. We look forward to extending you a warm welcome back in the near future.
Goring-on Thames, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2012

My wife and I stayed for one night at the Frimley Hall, bearing in mind the prices, we were disappointed with the very average room and the non existent service. When we arrived we ordered room service (a bottle of wine and a club sandwich) it never arrived ! when we chased room service they claimed not to know what colour bread we wanted, we chased again to be told the order had been lost. We never received our request. The next morning at check out, reception was not manned and I had to hunt to find a member of staff just so we could check out. One positive, the breakfast in our room in the morning (which did arrive) was very good and was delivered when we requested.

Overall, very average for such prices, oh and a blocked bath drain.

A Travel lodge next time I'm in Camberley.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 17 May 2012
Thank you MrBenjamin for your review. I was most concerned to read your comments as the issues raised are certainly not in keeping with the standards, quality and customer care normally associated with Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa. Please accept my sincere apologies for the shortfalls experienced on this occasion. If you would like to contact me at the Hotel directly, I would be more than happy to discuss your comments further and resolve the outstanding issues for you and indeed extend you a warm welcome back to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel.
Faversham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 May 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel last weekend for a birthday treat from my partner and parents. Room was lovely, pool and spa facilities good but the best bit for me was our evening meal. It was fantastic, I had the most wonderful main course.... A blade of Scottish Beef and it was amazing. My parents are farmers so we know good meat and that was one of the best dishes iv ever eaten. Staff were lovely and friendly. It was a very pleasant stay.Will definatly be back.

• Stayed May 2012
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 14 May 2012
Many thanks rward85 for your review. I was delighted to note that you enjoyed your stay with us. We are very passioate about the provenance and quality of our food of which you submitted very kind comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
London, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2012

This hotel is a beautiful period property on amazing grounds, however, the "spa" is not really a spa...its a pool, sauna and steam with very few poolside loungers (10 in total - we had to sit on the floor!) and a separate, darkened relaxation room, which has chairs and foot stools with tea/coffee (10 seats there too). We booked as a group of 12 and they did not warn us there would not be enough seating, in addition, people had got there earlier and occupied all the loungers - leaving them with just towels/belongings on for many hours, without sitting in them. As you can imagine, it was slightly infuriating for those of us sitting on tiled floor! Management refused to bring in more seats due to having no "non slip" feet and did nothing about the unused loungers. All of that aside, we did have a lovely time and the hotel is very nice, but I'd not recommend this as a real spa resort.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
gm_frimleyhall, General Manager at Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 10 May 2012
Many thanks namford for your review. Whilst I was delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay overall, I was concerned to read your comments regarding the Spa. In terms of the lounger issue, we can only fit 10 loungers at poolside however, I will discuss the management of the loungers with my Club Manager as I agree with you that we should not be allowing people to leave thier belongings, as a reservation tool, on loungers for hours at a time.
I do hope that you will afford us the opportunity to offer you a warm welcome back on the future.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Camberley
2.2 km away
Great Fosters
Great Fosters
#1 of 5 in Egham
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,004 reviews

Been to Macdonald Frimley Hall Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!