“No Extra Charge for a Hair in Your Meal!”
Review of Puriton Inn

Puriton Inn
Ranked #18 of 128 Restaurants in Bridgwater
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I felt suspicious about the standard of this place as I walked through the door and looked at the menu hanging from once corner. The decor is out dated and the whole place needs refitting. The barmaid was very pleasant. The meals were average but mine had a hair in considerably longer than the ones in my head! Despite complaining no apology was made.

Christell1, Owner at Puriton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 10 April 2018

I am sorry u felt this way we are a country pub with a country feel which a lot of people wouldn’t change . As for the hair I was not informed about this and will look into this and deal with the matter . My apologies that u didn’t enjoy your visit .

Reviewed 16 March 2018

Pleasant feeling as soon as you walk into this charmimg public house, Friendly, helpful staff, varied menu including special offers, which we thoroughly enjoyed. Looking forward to another return visit hoping that the nearby new housing does not change the character and charm of this great public house

Thank u what a lovely comment to read hope to see u again soon x

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

I booked a table for six for Mother’s Day and all of us chose to have roast dinners. The food all came out at the same time and was excellent value for money, we also had drinks and desserts ( which were homemade) and all were delicious. Nice touch with presenting the Mothers in our party with a free gift. All round a fantastic experience, will definitely return.

Thank u was a great day and lovely to hear how happy people are x thank u again .

Reviewed 26 February 2018 via mobile

Went to the Puriton today for lunch and was told all roasts sold out. I ordered steak and kidney pie and my son “lamb knuckle” (lamb shank). Now my view of a “Pie” coincides with the description in this article :-

“Petition
Make wrongly describing a casserole with a pastry lid as a pie a criminal offence.
More details
For too long customers in pubs and restaurants have ordered what is described on the menu as a pie only to be served with casserole in a pot covered by a puff pastry lid. This is not a pie and is also curiously difficult to consume. A pie is defined by the OED as "A baked dish of fruit, or meat and vegetables, typically with a top and base of pastry." This petition urges the implementation of criminal sanctions upon the owners of food outlets that serve items described as pies without a pastry base. Exemptions will apply for Shepherds, Cottage and Fish Pies.”

It certainly
Isn’t a microwaved, oval casserole dish with a separately baked oval of pastry placed on top. Not only this, but inside the filling can only be described as bland and so watery with a minimum of actual meat or kidney. The veg of carrots and peas was luke warm at best. My son had a lamb shank which had the same like warm veg. There was no gravy supplied with the lamb shank.

Not great food - wouldn’t recommend this pub.

1  Thank Shauntrom
Christell1, Owner at Puriton Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2018

I am really sorry to hear that we were fully booked on Sunday and as far as I knew everyone was happy I will look into why I wasn’t told . As for our pies the menu does state they are served with a choice of pastry lid I am sorry you didn’t enjoy the general feedback we get about our pies is good and very meaty and tasty again I will look into this . Thank u for letting us no your feelings

Reviewed 18 February 2018

Great place, delicious food, value for money and lovely helpful staff. Will definitely be making another visit there.

Thank u for a great comment they mean so much to us see u soon x