“Amazing day ! Best value fantastic cafe too ”

British Ironwork Centre
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Oswestry
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The biggest display of decorative metalwork in the UK. Featuring live work from the some of the best artists and blacksmiths in the country. The Centre created the world renowned "Spoon Gorilla" made from over 40,000 donated spoons, as seen on the BBC. The Centre was officially opened to visitors in 2014 by HRH Prince Michael of Kent. Donations are welcome for Hope House Children's Hospice. Most recent projects include the "Knife Angel" made from over 100,000 weapons which have been removed from the streets of the United Kingdom, working with national police forces, families affected by knife crime and community action groups to ensure people think twice before carrying a blade.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Stunning location and great value cafe and shops. Miriam in the gift shop was happy and friendly .

So much to see.... fab for families or couples.

Free parking .
Free entry.
Amazing Knife Angel sculpture and the Spoon Gorilla.

Please donate and help sign for them to expand.
I believe they do fabulous Halloween and Christmas events too .

Coming back for sure

Write a ReviewReviews (1,828)
All reviews
in 36 reviews
"great place to visit"
in 52 reviews

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I’ve visited the British Ironwork Centre with my family around 5 times over the last couple of years. The first time was a real wow- seeing the knife angel, the huge spoon gorilla and other impressive sculptures in their park.
It is a lovely- almost free (£1 membership)- place to come for an afternoon out, mooch around the park (new sculptures all the time), enjoy a coffee and cake in the coffee shop and peruse the on-site workshops with blacksmith, silversmith.
Also; very importantly, the British Ironworks supports local charities through their work which is commendable. Different charities collect on the door at weekends and help to raise funds. This is a wonderful and thoughtful touch.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

So much to see both indoors and out. Lovely cakes and chocolate goodies in the café. Well worth a visit.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

A group of 26 visited British Iron works near Oswestry. What a wonderful morning, we certainly needed to have a full day,, there is so much to see we were handed a discount card which meant we had 10% off any purchases we made.
Our host for the day, yes you do have a host was Miriam a beautiful young lady full of advice to enable us to enjoy to the full our to short a visit. On arriving we were greeted with tea and the most delicious shortbread biscuits with more if we wished for only £3.50 a head. On leaving this delighted place as we enter the coach Miriam gave us a ice spoon whic I thought was a nice gesture little realising the ice tubs followed when we were seated. A lovely touch and end to a magical morning. Coach Companies take note a place worth putting on your itinerary

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

My husband & I regularly visit when I have an appt. at the nearby RJAH Orthopaedic Hospital.
My husband first noticed the entrance off the A5. I had not.
The drive up to the car park area passes some very realistic wuldlife sculptures. The large building nr the car park houses such a wonderful exclectic mix of goodies. I could leave with a car boot full of such lovely things.

The food/eating area is excellent. A good selection. If you are lucky enough to have Lemon Meringue Pie available when you visit, it is the best I have ever had. Everything about British Ironworks is great.

If I was going to make one change, to help the minority, of which I am one, I would make an access by the tills so that anyone preferring to use the disabled toilets could have a shorter walk to them.

It is such a great place to visit, I look forward to having a reason to travel the A5 in that area. My friend drove there - she too did not puck up on the entrance so had to continue to the next roundabout & return.
Emjoy your visit. Marion & Neil