“The perfect establishment to stop for a meal while driving.along the A5 road through Shropshire.”
Review of The Queens Head

The Queens Head
Ranked #8 of 126 Restaurants in Oswestry
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Free house with great homemade world cuisine and local cask beers. Specialists in providing allergen free food.
Reviewed 22 July 2017

For many years we have followed Sir Bryn Terfel and whenever possible we have attended his operas, recitals and concerts. The most recent was a recital at the Town Hall in Cheltenham on July 6th. This destination posed a problem regarding travelling there. Our usual mode of travel is by rail or bus, but could not manage numerous changes and various waiting times. Consequently I decided to drive there, so planned as easy a route as possible.

As near as possible to half way we chose to have a meal at the Queens Head near Oswestry which was so easily accessible off the A5 road. What a good choice it turned out to be. We had a very warm reception and given a table in the conservatory which over looked the nearby canal along which boats were moving slowly along. Our food and drink orders were quickly taken and they duly appeared on the table. Garlic bread to share, smoked trout for my wife along with a glass of Sauvignon Blanc , and a gorgeous prawn cocktail and a glass of lager shandy for me. We ended with cappuccino and latte coffees and the final bill was just £28.00. Such excellent value that we decided to call there on our return journey.

Two days later we were back again. Ordered the same drinks and my wife again had smoked trout as she had enjoyed the previous one so much. I decided on crispy chicken dippers sweet chilli sauce. No coffee this time and it only cost £23.00.
Thank you so much Julie and Chris and the rest of the staff for such enjoyable visits.
Anyone travelling along the A5 near Oswestry who is feeling peckish or really hungry, don’t hesitate to call at the Queens Head. There is a large sign showing “The Queens Head” when approaching from both directions.

Reviewed 13 July 2017 via mobile

Haven't been here in years but we called in for a drink after one of "those days!" at work!

Well, what have we been missing! The food was amazing, the service is superb (everyone is really helpful & friendly) and the atmosphere was one of a local friendly welcoming.

It's definitely back on our radar, thank you....

P.s Chris made me a coffee with marshmallows! It was fab :-)
Xx

Reviewed 10 July 2017

Dropped in for dinner. Had a wonderful chicken dish. The food is always great here, and I have come several times over the past 12 years or so.... I always look forward to visiting for a meal. One negative is the service was a little slow. It was fairly busy, but the staff may of been a little short handed? That aside, it was very good, as usual.

1  Thank KeithARobb
Reviewed 9 July 2017 via mobile

Living locally The Queens would be the perfect pub for us. That is, if the management (not the staff) had any kind of personality or charisma. The are unwelcoming and would benefit if they could put "a smile on their dial." They were totally unresponsive to a complaint and seemed as if they could care less.
I won't be returning.

Reviewed 2 July 2017

This restaurant / pub got me thinking, how is it that you can get such a nice sea food paella. it was one of the best dishes I had try in ages.

well done to the chef.

the pub is nice and clean
staff is very friendly and every dish that came out looks as nice as my.

thanks very much and will def, will go back probably tomorrow lol

enjoy.