“Another visit, another excellent experience.”

Chequers Smoke House
Ranked #12 of 105 Restaurants in Witney
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 3 May 2017

We visit this restaurant probably once every 2-3 months, and every time it is a joy. The staff are very friendly, accommodating, and the food is something else.

As we have a young daughter, so couldn't go in an evening to experience their food challenge hotdogs (to share, we're no competitive eaters!) the staff were kind enough to prepare the meal much earlier than they normally allow (we gave 24hrs notice).

What a meal it was, despite the £35 price tag, you get a hell of a lot of food for the price. The burnt ends are our favourite, and they didn't disappoint. All three hotdogs were delicious, and despite trying our hardest, we got nowhere near completing the meal.

As is the way, a member of staff brought us out a container to take what we could stomach to return to, home with us.

Overall another great meal, and we look forward to returning.

1  Thank Mikbobs

Reviewed 29 April 2017 via mobile

Well what can I say about this one. Well I like value for money. Good service and good fresh hot food. And on a date with my wife I like to see her happy as well and this place ticks all the boxes.
We were greeted we a great friendly smile a very clean pub great decor and a beautiful smell coming from the kitchen.
So to sum up all I will say is get yourselves in there. But book to be sure of a table at 1 of the best eateries I have been to for a while.

Enjoy

Reviewed 27 April 2017 via mobile

I came here with a bunch of friends from work, and we were not disappointed! The food tastes amazing, and there is a massive variety to choose from. Even though the menu is a slight bit pricey, you get big portions so it makes it up!
There was a large group of us (about 30) and all the food came out on time and together, which I was impressed by!
I will definitely be returning, and I would go as far as saying this is the best restaurant in Witney!

Reviewed 25 April 2017 via mobile

We visited for a birthday treat - early birthday meal with a friend, her parents and aged 6 son.
The table service wasn't fantastic, the jug of water for the table came after a reminder and the waitresses seemed to struggle to smile.
The food was cooked well and was plentiful and didn't take long to arrive.
Only issue we had was asking the waitress to change the child's pudding (rather swiftly after ordering) as he changed his mind.
His mother saw the exchange of conversation at the bar with the waitress pointing her fingers to her head in a gun like motion in an exasperated way.

We paid for what we had eaten and drunk and left swiftly.

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 23 April 2017 via mobile

This was a great evening out! We started with the chicken wings, which were really tasty. Then with not an ounce of self control between us, we ordered the big smokehouse platter! This was a statement from the moment it arrived on a gigantic steel tray, but it again was really tasty. Don't be put off by the term 'burnt ends', these are really yummy. Every bit was really tasty, the pulled pork was perhaps slightly dry which was a shame, but it still had good flavour. This was definitely worth the money to try a bit of everything, and it wasn't small portions.
I managed a mint aero milkshake which was pretty good- it's fun when they bring you over a basket of chocolate bars to choose your flavour from!
I've read a lot of reviews about poor service here, but we didn't have one problem with this- it was good service, friendly and well attended. Definitely worth it if you've got a good appetite, but they do plenty of options depending on how and what you want to eat.