All reviews converted barn the pub main course burger soup on arrival michelin star sorbet sticky toffee pricey side great food off the beaten track front of house an overnight stay pudding wonderful lunch separate seating area
Reviewed 11 July 2018

The location is off the beaten track, perfect location if attending an event at the Williams F1 Conference Centre in Grove, Oxfordshire. Stayed here the night before an annual conference. Arrived at the hotel around 9pm, we had asked for sandwiches as assumed the kitchen would be closed, but the chef did make hot food for us on arrival. The service was a tad slow, but we were not in a rush. As we couldn't have breakfast in the morning (left at 6:30am) we asked for an alternative and we were supplied with cereal, milk and fruit - perfect. The rooms are in a separate annex away from the pub so no noise and smartly decorated. Would definitely recommend and stay again.

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled on business
2  Thank Fran H
Reviewed 9 July 2018

I have been numerous times to the Star, their food is really good and the setting lovely, however this Sunday I can comfortably say it was one of the worst pub lunch experiences I have ever had. We arrived as a couple at around 12.30 and sat outside. My partner went to the bar to order drinks and they advised that they would bring them out. it was not at all busy so we took menus and went to sit down. we sat for quite some time until the drinks arrived, two soft drinks, neither with any ice, and in 32 degree heat this was not ideal, so asked for ice and the waitress went away to get it...... 20 mins later, we had neither ice nor any further service. both drink gone and getting quite hungry we managed to catch the eye of another waitress, an older lady who seemed in charge... (sort of) we ordered some food, or at least tried to, as she didnt know that the stuffed aubergine flower existed, so we pointed that out on the menu and in between the "my love's" and over familiarity which would be more common in a McDonald (in fact was asked if I wanted my fries to go... very confusing) we managed to order the food. I asked for my anchovies on the side, first I got them in the dish, then sent them back and didn't get any at all. The food was ok... not bad, but the croutons for the salad were very stale, and all the food came at different times which was not great, we sat without drinks for most of the time we were there, and then with empty plates for the last ten mins. There was no semblance of management, not assigned duties for the staff, and in general this was more like a weatherpersons than a nice pub. The older dark haired lady visibly frustrated with something actually at one point threw something very hard on the floor and the girls working had no guidance, no idea what they were doing and no interest. You need a good manager in here, someone who takes pride in what they do and guides the staff all of whom are young and inexperienced. I hope that this was just a blip.

Date of stay: July 2018
Reviewed 15 June 2018

Having just come off a very long flight we were welcomed warmly to the Star Inn by Toby. We were delighted to find this quaint hotel within an hours drive of Heathrow. The room in the converted barn was comfy, clean and we had a restful nights sleep. It was lovely to wake early in this rural setting to see the birds and bunnies frolicking outside.
Dinner was tasty and well presented and the breakfast was excellent. The owner was friendly and helpful for our onward journey.
We would stay again should we be in the area.

Date of stay: June 2018
3  Thank Dingenic
Reviewed 10 May 2018

Right of the beaten track. A very comfortable room in the barn with all the usual facilities. Dinner was excellent (slightly pricey!!) and the breakfast was very good. Staff were very good and I hope that "madame" takes it easy soon!!

Date of stay: May 2018
2  Thank Daveed
Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

We stayed with our two dogs in the barn, which as the name suggests is a converted barn a few metres walk from the back entrance to the Inn. A nice room, with a shower room, in a quiet location. The Star Inn itself is dominated by its restaurant where we had dinner. I have to say the prices were high, but the standard was good. Above all we had a warm welcome and were well looked after during our one-night stay. The roads are lightly trafficked and there is a nearby footpath across two fields for dog walking.

Date of stay: May 2018
Trip type: Travelled as a couple
1  Thank Rupert T