All reviewsthai restaurantfarm shopenglish restaurantglass of champagnedouble decker busgroupon dealred buscopper bathchampagne on arrivallondon busquirky placechateaubriandchristmas presentmain buildingtaster mealspecial occasionbirthday treat
Reviewed 12 December 2015 via mobile

I bought this for my son and his girlfriend as a surprise so I can not comment on the actual room
They had a suite which they said was very nice and the Thai was lovely
My complaint is with the admin and reception
They are totally inefficient and actually I found one of them downright rude
I actually received a phone call saying
" sorry we can not fulfil your booking "
And that was after ringing in the morning as I was anxious that their stay would go well
When my son gave me the bill the voucher for the meal had not been deducted
This was after I had booked the Thai given them the voucher number and my son had gone for the meal and when he arrived they wanted to see it
He returned to his room and presented it to them
When I contacted reception they asked me to forward them a copy !!??
Now a day and a half later they have informed me that they sent to their voucher department
I await with bated breath !

Stayed: December 2015, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Jane B
Reviewed 11 December 2015

Having read so many bad reviews of this hotel we were quite worried about how the visit would go having booked and paid for it through Secret Escapes many months ago. I can only say the expectations of many must be so incredibly high that nothing would really please them. We stayed in room 6 which had a super bath and lovely decor. Champagne was there to greet us. The hotel bar was quirky and cosy, the tasting menu in the English restaurant very good, with not one member of staff rude which seem to feature in so many other reviews. We knew in advance there was no tea and coffee making facilities in the room and also that we had to pay extra for English breakfast so there would be little point moaning about it. We actually took our own travel kettle and the breakfast was excellent. The only thing I think they could easily improve on is their choice of TV channels - a decent news channel to put on rather than watching a woman offering phone sex would have been nice but didn't spoil our visit. We had a great time and also really recommend a visit to the farm shop. Don't be put off by the reviews of others!

Room Tip: Probably worth an upgrade but we didn't see any of the standard rooms
  • Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 December 2015 via mobile

I've had no response to my email, despite being sent to 3 different addresses...
Good Afternoon

I'm contacting you regarding the afternoon tea my parents came for yesterday.

This was a gift which I bought for them following my stay last year. Before buying the voucher I checked with a member of staff that there would be a gluten free option for my mother as she has IBS and cannot eat wheat, I was assured this would not be a problem and to get her to mention it when booking.

My mother called to book the tea and explained that she would need the gluten free option and was told it was fine but someone would call her back shortly to confirm. After waiting 48 hrs she hadn't heard anything so called again, again she was told it was fine but someone from the kitchen would call her. The day before they were due to come she phoned twice more to check as, still noone had phoned!

Yesterday upon arrival they were told to go straight to the restaurant despite being slightly early and were seen to by a waiter, the waiter went off to the kitchen only to come back and say that a gluten free alternative was not available - as they'd taken the day off work and planned their day around the visit my parents went ahead with what was available.

Whilst they thoroughly enjoyed the experience I am disappointed that after many enquiries regarding the dietary requirements my mother had to resort to eating 'normal' bread and has subsequently suffered as a result! I was also confused by the bill they received when leaving, they had bought a glass of champagne each but were charged almost £30!? The champagne was the only additional thing they had with their afternoon tea so I am upset that they've had to pay extra for what was supposed to be a gift?

Please could you look into these matters for me as I'm unhappy with the service they received, especially after I'd given them glowing reviews from the service and all round experience of my stay.

Sorry to have to complain but I felt that this should be brought to your attention

Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family
1  Thank EJS86
Reviewed 10 December 2015 via mobile

We stayed here on the night of our wedding a few years ago. Unfortunately we arrived very late in the evening and were escorted to the suite which is in a outer building, so we did not enjoy the grounds.

The rooms are stunning. Bath fills from the ceiling. Great bathroom features. Huge bed. What more could you ask for?

We opted for breakfast in bed which was served promptly. Probably one of the best breakfasts I have ever had. Very happy with my stay and we will be staying again soon! Looking forward to it already!

Stayed: August 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 December 2015

We recently stayed here with a group of friends, it was a great night & so much fun. When we arrived we had drinks in the comfort of a lounge that was downstairs of our friends bedroom which was great as the bar was bursting full. The evening meal was lovely, it was nothing too special to be honest but it was nice. I would say though as a table of 6 i think we were a bit rowdy as the place was full of couples but we still had a great night. Our room was one of the original rooms which as expected the decor was great fun but the size totally let it down, apart from that the place is very quirky & a different experience to a normal hotel.

• Stayed: November 2015, travelled with family