Open today: 10:00 am - 5:00 pm
Review Highlights
A grand day out

Wonderful experience for little children. Lots to do. Helpful friendly obliging staff. Only... read more

Reviewed 7 September 2018
stw646
Wickwar, United Kingdom
via mobile
Wriggley duckling

My Grandson asks to go to Farmer Gow's every year, since he was 4, he is now 10. As usual there... read more

Reviewed 31 August 2018
Jan C

All reviews tractor ride hay bales treasure hunt animal feeding working farm young children collect eggs toy tractors duckling meet the animals sand pit entrance fee goat climbing frame hen house year olds an easter egg hunt
Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

I went with my two grandchildren on a beautiful sunny day. Sadly we were not impressed. There are not many animals to see. The petting is quite limited. We were annoyed when the thing the children did want to do - the hay bales climbing - was closed for over 45 mins for an Easter Egg Hunt you had to pay extra money for. The worst feature was having to wait for over 45mins for our lunch which was sandwiches! They are seriously badly organised. I wouldn’t waste your money. Go to the Cotswold Farm instead where there is loads more to do and it’s much better organised. A few rabbits to pet would be a small improvement.

Date of experience: April 2018
1  Thank gilld414
Margaret K, Public Relations Manager at Farmer Gow's, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2018

Thank you for your feedback. We appreciate all comments, which enable us to review farm our service to visitors and improve staff training programmes.

The UK has been struggling this year to cope with the worst winter/early spring weather for many years. Snow, ice and most recently heavy, heavy rain. Visitors to farms have not suprisingly delayed their visits until the arrival of better weather. This comment was posted on the first warm/sunny day of the year, when many families took an opportunity to enjoy fresh air and some farm fun. I suspect that many farm parks had a similar experience to ourselves, a huge surge in visitor numbers.

Farmer Gow’s is a ‘hands on’ visitor experience, where adults and children can enjoy handling and feeding our farm animals.

Our Chick barn currently offers Chick and Duckling handling plus Lamb Cuddling. We manage these sessions to ensure a safe and happy engagement between visitors and farm animals. We offer extra sessions on busy days.

Our Meet the Animals barn is also a wonderful learning experience – with piglets, ewes with lambs at foot, bottle fed lambs and goat kids, plus big goats who are very cheeky and love interacting with visitors. All visitors – adults and children – are supported with bottle and hand feeding our animals, in staff-led interactive sessions. For many visitors, this is their first close contact with farm animals. We manage animal welfare very carefully.

With egg collecting and trailer rides, which latter experience includes feeding our older piggies, cattle &/or sheep, there are many handling and learning opportunities for all visitors to the farm.

Bale Climb – is such good fun! Children love exploring the giant bale climb so it is open all day long, with the only exception the running of the Easter Egg Hunt . This is a seasonal activity, very popular with visitors and includes an Easter Egg prize for each participating child. We must run the activitiy safely, so the bale climb is gated during the Hunt, which on busy days such as has been described, can mean 30-45 minutes of restricted access. Children leaving the bale climb/hunt with huge smiles on their faces, encourages us to consider this a well run, safe activity.

Rabbits – are generally considered to be pets, not farm animals. Our 'farm animal' offering is specifically to provide visitors of all ages, but particularly children with little or no previous farm experience, with a 'real' farming experience. We therefore don’t offer ‘petting’ which is synonymous with pets. We excel at offering multiple farm animal handling and feeding experiences.

Refreshments – regrettably, on a busy day, refreshly prepared lunch orders can take some time to arrive. We prepare all orders in the order in which they are placed, and most orders are served to visitors well within the advertised 20 minutes (cooking time for burgers and hot dogs). Unfortunately, on busy days, multiple large orders can sometimes extend the time before smaller orders are serviced, simply because of the order in which orders are placed. Life would be so much easier if the great British weather was a bit more settled, particularly at this time of year!

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

If you think that an hour + of petting time & animal interaction is expensive at these prices then you obviously have no idea how much money, time & effort goes into running a working farm! Farmer Gows is excellent value for money if what you’re after is a fantastic, hands-on experience with gorgeous animals! If what you’re actually imagining is an indoor play barn where you can peacefully sip your coffee, whilst your children entertain themselves & you spend the time scrolling through your phone, then you’ll need to go somewhere else! Today I took my five year old to Farmer Gows & I was so impressed at the care & attention that has gone into making it an environment that all ages can enjoy. The hay bales are brilliant for burning off energy & the staff are amazing at engaging both children & adults at the petting stations. The only reason I didn’t give it 5 stars is because the placement of the gift shop (right at the entrance) as it can make life tricky with young children & for me was an added unnecessary financial pressure to our visit. However, this will not stop us from visiting again & we can’t wait to return! Thank you for such a warm welcome & for being such lovely, chatty staff!

1  Thank annalucy04
Margaret K, Manager at Farmer Gow's, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Thank you for your kind words - we love providing safe and enjoyable 'hands on' farm animal interactions. It's wonderful seeing a young child gradually build confidence as they learn how to handle and interact with our lambs, kids, chicks, ducklings and piggies.

Shop - we've moved the location of the gift area a couple of times, to try to minimise the issues you've mentioned and manage staffing costs. For some families it's an important part of a day out, for others a quick walk through the area to reception &/or the car park.

Reviewed 25 March 2018 via mobile

I spent last night reading the reviews of Farmer Gows and we decided to go. The day was wonderful and represented good value for money. It was £23 because we booked ahead and received 5% discount. Our family of 5 stayed for 4 hours on a lovely sunny day. Farmer Gows is the perfect place for young children and families who are prepared to interact with their children and engage with the activities. First we were taken to meet the ducklings and chicks which my eldest daughter loved. And so did I. We then went to meet the animals which was brilliant and something other farms don’t offer. We fed milk to the lambs and kids, we fed grain to the sheep and goats. We were able to touch all the animals. The staff were extremely helpful
and friendly. We then went to the hen house to collect eggs. After that we sat in the warm cafe with two immaculately clean high chairs and enjoyed coffee while the children had lunch. There are loads of picnic areas too so you can bring your own. We then went on the tractor ride and fed the pigs en route. After that my children played on the hay bales and we enjoyed running around and chasing them too. Finally my children played on the tractors and play grounds. People have said their children were bored - in which case don’t take an 11 year old. It’s much better suited to younger children. People have said it’s costly - where isn’t when you are taking a family. People have said it’s small - yes it is but it has plenty to do. The staff worked very hard and I would like to thank them for allowing my children to engage with the whole experience. I really enjoyed it and I hope you do too.

Date of experience: March 2018

Thank you Abi for your kind words.

Staff do work very hard to provide safe and enjoyable farm animal handling and feeding experiences - fun for both visitors and farm animals.

This takes an enormous amount of staff time but the benefits, particularly to young children, are wonderful.

Thank you for coming.

Reviewed 8 March 2018 via mobile

I brought my 3 YO and 1 YO to the farm for the afternoon and having read some of the reviews I was dubious.
I can however say that we all had an excellent afternoon here. We've not been to a farm where you can get so interactive with the animals.. we fed pigs, lambs, goats and handled new chicks. My son who is 3 loved it. Couldn't get enough of it.
Staff were very helpful and made you feel welcome. We will be back again for sure!

Reviewed 8 October 2017

just had a great Sunday out with our 2 year old twin grandchildren. They loved every moment of the visit,. Thought we would only be there a couple of hours but in the end well over 3 . Feeding the animals, collecting eggs, tractor toys and a tractor ride. And seeing the cows, sheep, and pigs. 2 year old go free!

Date of experience: October 2017
1  Thank gerra
Margaret K, Public Relations Manager at Farmer Gow's, responded to this reviewResponded 9 October 2017

Thank you for your kind words. We have always believed that public access to our farm should be, as close as possible, a real farming experience (with practical health and safety considerations). We treasure our farm, in the heart of the Oxfordshire countryside, and are delighted when others do too. We hope to welcome you to Farmer Gow's again soon.