“Harry and Louise 'really good bedlinen'”
Review of Bignell Park Hotel

Bignell Park Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Chesterton
Reviewed 3 March 2012

The large bed was comfortable and the all-white bedlinen was the best we have encountered in a hotel.
We stayed twice, at each end of a weekend and both rooms were interesting, showers excellent. Dinner and breakfast were very good, but the breads on the continental breakfasts were tiny and not appealing.
We had thought the hotel was in walking distance of Bicester, travelling without a car as we did, we found it difficult to get anywhere except by taxi from Bicester three miles along a country road with no sidewalks, not recommended for oldies!.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kay C

Reviewed 10 February 2012

I stayed as part of a large business group and ate dinner & breakfast in the hotel.
The food during dinner and breakfast was excellent. The service was OK, on occasions we had to beckon staff for attention, but this was not really an issue. The rooms are pretty large, & during our stay were good value for money. However, there are some basic maintenance issues which the hotel really needs to address.
Old style TV's with Digi boxes really don't work very well in a hotel, you are left trying to guess how to turn on the TV, which channel to use to access the digi box etc. being used to digi boxes, I found this a problem. I can't imagine that a foreign visitor could possibly hope to operate one of these without specific detailed instructions.
The light switch to the room was on the other side of the room from the door? I had to prop the door open (to get some light) then switch on the bedside light before I found the main room light. Clearly the room had been changed around, but the light switch had not been moved. There were a couple of other maintenance issues which should have been addressed, which were just a little poor and a minor irritation.
On the plus side- it is a pretty hotel, in a good location, with a great chef, & pretty good value for money.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank jason s
Reviewed 30 January 2012

Stayed with my husband for 1 night and I was happy with my stay. The hotel looked very pretty and it was perfect location for bicester retail centre and oxford. The room was fine, lovely high ceiling with beams and it was very spacious with all you would need. Comfortable bed, adequate lighting, nice tea/coffee tray with all you need. It was also very cosy and warm. The hotel seemed big but very quiet so it was a very peaceful stay. Although we did not eat in the restaurant it looked very welcoming. The only couple of snagging points I can mention is that there was a musky damp smell in the hallways and room but after a while in the room it died down. Also the tv was a bit out of date so picture quality was a bit fuzzy and the freeview box was very noisy as if it was on its way out but switched off at the wall so it did not disturb my sleep. Also the car park was very muddy and would benefit from a new surface if only to save the mud from being walked in the carpets of the hotel. I would finally like to say that as I had previously read about poor understanding of staff I found them to be very pleasant and understood me perfectly fine when I spoke to them. I would certainly stay again.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank love2shoplove2spend
Reviewed 16 January 2012

Hotels these days will usually offer some sort of deal on rooms....this hotel has superbly spacious rooms decorated to a reasonable standard.....and the deals are there. the restaurant offers food of an excellant quality well presented and pleasing to the eye and the stomach!
So where are the problems I hear you say?......well, and this is by no means meant to be racist, but it would be most helpful if the staff all had a working knowledge of the English language! Communication between a guest and the hotel is of primary importance and when you receive a blank look and your reply is "sorry I'm from Spain!" you could be fooled into thinking that you are in a Torquay hotel and the next person you meet goes by the name of Basil!!,
However, our stay was most enjoyable, we are regular visitors, and WILL BE RETURNING during the coming summer.

Room Tip: Four poster bedrooms are well worth the ugrade
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled with family
6  Thank pandaleous
Reviewed 1 January 2012

On Saturday 10th December,We had booked in the restaurant a table for 4. It was to celebrate my husband and myself silver wedding anniversary. Unfortunately we were very disappointed with the service we received. When we arrived we were taken into another room given the menus and then were forgotten. We eventually went and asked if there was a bar where we could get a drink.

Though we had booked a table for 8pm, it was after 8.30 before we got a table. It was very dark with only a candle to see by. We ordered a bottle of Sparkling Wine which we wanted with our starter, but we had finished the starter before it arrived and then we were left to open the bottle ourselves. The centre pieces on the tables was dirty.

With our dessert we asked for Port to go with the cheese, but were told you had run out. As it is Xmas I would of expected to have more than one bottle. When we asked why there wasn't any the barman said that the manager did the ordering.

The food was excellent, but we were let down by the service, we would of ordered more wine and liquers. But due to the service by the waitresses (who couldn't speak very good english) and barman? we finnished our meal and went to find someone to pay the bill. We even had to find our own coats as no one was around

It may be that this night was an exception, but I would not recommend the restaurant again, Which is a shame as the chef produces excellent food,but he was let down by the front of house staff.

We sent an email to the manager, but they did not have the decency to reply

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank Malcolm F
Also consider these accommodations in or near Chesterton
1.7 km away
The Dashwood Hotel
#1 of 1 in Kirtlington
10.1 km away
Best Western Plus Magnolia Park Hotel, Golf and Country Club

Been to Bignell Park Hotel? Share your experiences!