Open today: 12:00 pm - 5:00 pm
Review Highlights
Great place for social history but feels 'off'

It was crammed full of curiosities. Great for those who loves castles and history. However, I do... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Nicky G
via mobile
A place full of curiosities

I visited Chillingham castle while on holiday in Northumberland, the main reason was because it’s... read more

Reviewed 1 week ago
Rachel S
via mobile

All reviews torture chamber sir humphrey ghost tour wild cattle tea room hand written uneven floors ghost hunt torture room touch things minstrels gallery eclectic mix ghost walk roaring log fire national trust health and safety on display
Reviewed 28 October 2017 via mobile

Booked a ghost tour for my partner's birthday at the end of August and we had almost 2 months to wait as I wanted it to be near Halloween. We were sent instructions, which included a recommendation to bring a torch - this was good advice as it's pitch black in the grounds. The directions in the email where really helpful in getting us there and parked as it's in the middle of nowhere like most castles. The castle was lit up beautifully on arrival and had flame torches at the entrance, which set the scene for the night. We were greeted in the courtyard by Jill who had all our names so was expecting us. Graham then guided us round the grounds and castle and it was informative and entertaining. If you go expecting full body aperitions of torchored souls draped in chains and Derek Acorah channeling spirits from the other side you'll probably be disappointed. But if you want a tour of a historic castle steeped in bloody history then you'll love it like we did. What you take away from it is personal but we're already taking about going back for the all nighter.

1  Thank Alan S
Reviewed 27 October 2017

We really enjoyed our visit. Lots of clutter, but very interesting. The room guides were very knowledgeable and gave us lots of information about the castle and the Wakefield and Grey families. We had coffee and scones in the cafe and they were delicious. The castle isn't easy to find. We were almost there and about to ask the way, when we saw a sign. Perhaps a brown sign on the A1 would help.

1  Thank Moyra A
Chillingham, Estates Office at Chillingham Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

Thank you for your comments. I am pleased that you appreciate the history and the feel of this ancient castle with all its quirky charm. Chillingham Castle has a lot to offer and our Room Stewards are very knowledgeable of the castles steeped history. Thank you for making us aware of the signage. There are several signs along the A1 however these maybe have been obscured. Again, I am pleased that you enjoyed your visit and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 25 October 2017

Arrived to find a castle that is a castle, not a national trust property that is ordered and pin neat. Top marks to sir Humphrey, on what he has done. Quirky and a very interesting place. well worth a visit.

1  Thank Stephen G
Reviewed 22 October 2017

We arrived at Chillingham castle with high hopes, however we were soon let down, the state rooms were over cluttered with random junk which has no link to the castle at all and the attitude of some staff wasn’t great either.

Sir Wakefield’s attitude also left us appalled when he said if we wanted a guide, to tell staff that we can’t afford it so they would give us one, repeating this rude and obnoxious remark more than once, left us all in shock on how rude he was to us!

Claimed to be one of the most haunted castles in England, the only thing leaving us haunted was the bad job of the bubble wrap and tape ghost hanging up in one of the state rooms and the kitchen paper pumpkins although 10/10 for trying.

However my friend and I both noted that the gothic exterior of the castle was impressive, and there were some great photography opportunities. As well as this we felt that after looking into the castles history online, thought that the castle would benefit more from having this information inside rather than some random junk.

Overall, we will not be returning to Chillingham and you’ll find more information online than in the castle itself, so I would waste the money to visit

Chillingham, Owner at Chillingham Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that your visit to Chillingham Castle was not to your expectations. I am surprised you felt that some of the staff had an unhelpful attitude as we pride ourselves with the fact that our staff are very knowledgeable about the castle. I did not mean to offend when trying to sell one of my guides. I was only trying to ensure that you had a proper experience. This is a very informative booklet which I have written to help guide my guests through the rooms. I feel I must tell you that, at this moment, three museums are actually trying to acquire 'My random junk' as you describe. I will so happily explain it all to you, if you give me the chance?
As you can appreciate, this Castle is also my home and as such decorated to my taste. I, therefore, hold great pride in this. I appreciate that you did not like your visit to Chillingham Castle though many guests do enjoy seeing a castle 'with a difference' and can understand what I have achieved with the renovations and furnishings to its current standard.

Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

Staying just outside castle walls but one of the reasons I booked this area. Quirky and interesting. Great to see it's not been modernised too much for tourists, its how a castle should be. The tea room was great to sit in, food was delicious and lovely friendly staff. Well worth the visit, wild cattle also very interesting.