“The Clutter of Chillingham Castle”
Review of Chillingham Castle

Chillingham Castle
Ranked #7 of 44 things to do in Alnwick
More attraction details
Owner description: Chillingham Castle is open to the public between Easter - End of October. Hours open is 12 noon - 5pm.
Reviewed 22 October 2017

We arrived at Chillingham castle with high hopes, however we were soon let down, the state rooms were over cluttered with random junk which has no link to the castle at all and the attitude of some staff wasn’t great either.

Sir Wakefield’s attitude also left us appalled when he said if we wanted a guide, to tell staff that we can’t afford it so they would give us one, repeating this rude and obnoxious remark more than once, left us all in shock on how rude he was to us!

Claimed to be one of the most haunted castles in England, the only thing leaving us haunted was the bad job of the bubble wrap and tape ghost hanging up in one of the state rooms and the kitchen paper pumpkins although 10/10 for trying.

However my friend and I both noted that the gothic exterior of the castle was impressive, and there were some great photography opportunities. As well as this we felt that after looking into the castles history online, thought that the castle would benefit more from having this information inside rather than some random junk.

Overall, we will not be returning to Chillingham and you’ll find more information online than in the castle itself, so I would waste the money to visit

Chillingham, Owner at Chillingham Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

Thank you for your comments. I am sorry that your visit to Chillingham Castle was not to your expectations. I am surprised you felt that some of the staff had an unhelpful attitude as we pride ourselves with the fact that our staff are very knowledgeable about the castle. I did not mean to offend when trying to sell one of my guides. I was only trying to ensure that you had a proper experience. This is a very informative booklet which I have written to help guide my guests through the rooms. I feel I must tell you that, at this moment, three museums are actually trying to acquire 'My random junk' as you describe. I will so happily explain it all to you, if you give me the chance?
As you can appreciate, this Castle is also my home and as such decorated to my taste. I, therefore, hold great pride in this. I appreciate that you did not like your visit to Chillingham Castle though many guests do enjoy seeing a castle 'with a difference' and can understand what I have achieved with the renovations and furnishings to its current standard.

Reviewed 21 October 2017 via mobile

Staying just outside castle walls but one of the reasons I booked this area. Quirky and interesting. Great to see it's not been modernised too much for tourists, its how a castle should be. The tea room was great to sit in, food was delicious and lovely friendly staff. Well worth the visit, wild cattle also very interesting.

Reviewed 20 October 2017

Eclectic mix of bits and pieces worth a visit still lots of work to do garden and woodland beautiful

Reviewed 20 October 2017 via mobile

Chillingham Castle is an amazing place. It is a complete contrast to a typical National Trust property - full of life and quirks - and therefore a totally different and refreshing experience to a 'normal' country house. The fact that it was a ruin before Sir Humphrey began its restoration, means that centuries of covered up parts of the castle have been exposed, including the Chapel and the wonderful fireplace in the tea room. The house is full (literally) of antiques, many with fascinating stories connected to the Wakefield and Grey families or the house itself. The quantity and variety is extraordinary, and trying to take the whole place in during one visit is an impossibility (and that's before mentioning the Ghosts and the Cattle and the Gardens and the excellent food). Highly recommended.

1  Thank Andrew D
Reviewed 18 October 2017 via mobile

This is an independently owned castle which has been a labour of love for the owner who has taken it on. It is interesting in that the owner has decided to leave some of the rustic charm of the place and not do it all up which is an unusual idea. Even more unusual is the decision to fill it with assorted bric a brac and to say it is cluttered is an understatement! Without the big budget of some of the national organisations looking after stately homes the interpretation is rather rudimentary but the staff on hand are friendly and informative. So whilst it is a bit chaotic and almost amateur in places it is interesting and was enjoyed both by adults and the kids. Truly an eccentric gentleman’s castle!

Chillingham, Estate Office at Chillingham Castle, responded to this reviewResponded 7 November 2017

I am so glad you enjoyed your visit. Sir Humphry does like the random feel of a lived-in private house. In fact, his casual display includes famous works of art which are described in the Guidebook but it is not easy to read lengthy descriptions on a fleeting tour. Please do come again and we will make a point of showing you pieces in your own areas of interest.