“Brilliant Service”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Standish
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Brilliant Service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 January 2012

Stayed here over the weekend as we were on a works night out close by. We were greeted at Reception by Sophie who was lovely. All smiley and asking how our journey had been, where we had travelled from etc. Told us all about the hotel facilities, what time breakfast was and the like. The room was clean and the bed very comfortable. The bathroom again was clean and had lovely big fluffy towels and a nice powerful shower. The TV was the old style and I know some people on this site get a bit upset over this but come on, does it really matter? As long as it works, it's fine. On return to the hotel after our meal we stayed in the lounge area having drinks. Again service was brilliant and I'm sure we must have driven Scott mad by the time we left to go to our rooms at 6am. I used the pool in the morning and again greeted by a lovely lady who booked me in (sorry can't remember her name as I hadn't woken up properly) changing rooms clean, pool and steam rooms etc all spotless. The pool is only small but as there was only me in it didn't really matter. After finally managing to wake my other half we got down for breakfast at 10.20. The lady there told us that it had finished at 10 (I thought it was half past). We said it didn't matter and made to leave. She told us that she would speak to the chef and to take a table. We sat in the conservatory bit overlooking the lake, gorgeous view. We than had our order taken for a full cooked breakfast which arrived in about 5 minutes, it was lovely too. Just what was needed after a heavy night. Coffee arrived promptly too. On check out Sophie again was on reception, asked about what we'd be up to for the rest of the day etc. On the whole this hotel is everything you need and in a lovely spot but the main part for me is the absolutley brilliant service. All the staff that we met were so friendly and helpful, they would be an asset to any company. Keep it up, we will be back!

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with friends
300753, General Manager at Macdonald Kilhey Court, responded to this review, 7 February 2012
Many thanks JimandDavid_12 for leaving a review regarding The Macdonald Kilhey Court Hotel and Spa following your recent weekend stay. I am delighted that you enjoyed your overall stay and thank you for your constructive feedback. Thank you for your glowing feedback regarding Sophie and the rest of the team. I know they will be pleased their efforts were appreciated.

I do hope that we are able to welcome you back to The Macdonald Kilhey Court Hotel and Spa in the near future.

Jonathan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
Huddersfield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2012

On Friday 22nd January we needed a hotel due to a late business meeting in the area and I have stayed here previously a few times since 1990. The place was almost exactly as I remember it. On arrival, the reception staff were very efficient and friendly and gave us clear indications as to the location of our room and all the facilities.
The room was looking a bit tired but had in it everything you would normally expect, even an ironing board! The bed was really comfortable and that was a big plus point.
The bar and restaurant areas seemed a bit too dimly lit but overall comfortable and the barman in the residents bar was very friendly and even sent extra milk up to the room for early morning.
We booked this on Laterooms and we got a great price and would stay here again. However, my overall impression of the restaurant menu was that it was overpriced and our friends suggested we went to The Owls at Standish. We did exactly that and it was amazing value for money.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled on business
Thank you Lennon4Ever for your constructive feedback regarding your recent stay at The Macdonald Kilhey Court Hotel and Spa. We welcome feedback as it is only by receiving feedback both positive and negative that we can hope and strive to improve the service and food that we offer our guests.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed the service provided to you and I will most certainly share this with my team. I was however disappointed that you found our food expensive and our bedrooms a bit tired. We are currently working on a rolling room’s maintenance programme where we are refreshing our bedrooms.

If you are planning to return Lennon4Ever, please do contact me directly and I would be delighted to make the arrangements for you.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 January 2012

Last minute booking for Sunday night, hotel very quiet, service excellent, food very good, drinks prices as you would expect for this type of hotel. Hotel accepts pets. Set in secluded grounds

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
300753, General Manager at Macdonald Kilhey Court, responded to this review, 6 February 2012
Many thanks 4startravelbugs for writing a review regarding your recent short break at The Macdonald Kilhey Court Hotel and Spa.

I am delighted to learn that you had a positive stay at our hotel and that you enjoyed the service and food which I have shared with my team.

We look forward to welcoming you back 4startravelbugs to our hotel in the near future.

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2012

My sister and I went for a 'winter spa offer' between Christmas and new year which included a two-course lunch and three spa treatments; body scrub, facial and manicure. The spa facilities are good with very friendly, professional staff and the treatments were good value for money. We didn't feel rushed and spent time in the relaxation room following our treatments - we could also have used the pool, gym etc which we were shown but this seemed a bit too strenuous! The only negatives were having to walk from the treatment rooms upstairs to a communal changing room to shower between treatments which spolied the experience a little. The lunch was in the main restaurant which was quiet and spacious and the food was basic but ok. I'd recommend the spa offer and would return.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time alison o to review The Macdonald Kilhey Court Hotel and Spa on Trip Advisor following your recent Spa Day.

I am so glad that overall you had an enjoyable experience and thank you for your constructive feedback which has been shared with the team.

If you are planning to return alison o, please do contact me and I would be delighted to make the arrangements for you.

lancashire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 January 2012

Booked a room at this hotel for a wedding....the positives first the room was comfortable, clean tidy, the bed was comfy everything you could need. The breakfast was excellent...lots of choice, the cooked breakfast was tasty and we had excellent service, got what we wanted very quickly and the staff were very friendly. In the old foyer there was a open fire which really added to a comfortable cosy atmosphere, lovely!
Negatives the decor is dated and old fashioned, we didnt get any sleep due to constant banging from what sounded like a pipe in the wall....disturbed our sleep all night, we did report this and the lady at reception was very apologetic.
We paid very little for the room and we got what we paid for, this hotel overall is not a 4star hotel more like a 3star. Needs to be updated with more staff around to make you feel welcome.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
Many thanks for your comments elleaugustine.

I was pleased to read that you found our bedroom comfortable, clean and that you enjoyed your food, service at breakfast. I was disappointed to read that you found our bedrooms to be dated and old fashioned. We are currently working on a rolling room’s maintenance programme where we are refreshing our bedrooms. I am sorry that you had a disturbed night's sleep, but our maintenance engineer has since repaired this maintenance issue.

If you are planning on visiting again elleaugustine, feel free to contact me and I would be happy to assist you.

Jonathan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Standish
4.5 km away
4.0 km away
The Brocket Arms Hotel
18.8 km away
Worsley Park Marriott Hotel & Country Club

Been to Macdonald Kilhey Court? Share your experiences!