Lowest prices for your stay
Hotels.com
eDreams
USD 162
View deal
Free cancellation until 24/06/21
Travelocity
Orbitz.com
ZenHotels.com
All reviews ribble valley valley suite hurst green stonyhurst college the pub wedding room evening meal fish and chips the general manager country inn cheese and onion pie bar area sandwich surrounding countryside wedding breakfast lovely place whole experience
Selected filters
Reviewed 21 April 2021 via mobile

We were travelling home to the Wirral after staying in a Woodmans hut in the Lakes and decided to make a detour and came across the Shireburn Inn at Hurst Green near Clitheroe.
It was fairly busy but we got a table on the terrace.
When ordering our drinks, I asked if I could have a tiny taste of the Chenin Blanc and was bluntly told “ yes, but you will have to pay for it”. !!!
I couldn’t believe it.

So, I ordered a glass regardless.
Our prawn sandwich was very poor as the bread wasn’t very fresh and the prawns were not very ample or good taste or quality.
The Cajun chicken one was better and the chunky chips were very nice.
Then we got our bill and I was shocked to see the bottle of Moretti was £4.70!!!!
and then they overcharged by almost £2 for my glass of wine so I asked for a refund and got it.
Not impressed.
We have all lost so much during this pandemic but ripping off your customers does not encourage them to return.
A very mediocre lunch after fabulous three days of glorious food in the lakes.
We won’t be back.

Date of stay: April 2021
Reviewed 19 April 2021

We booked and came here on Saturday lunchtime for a meal and drinks. The pub is a short walk from the excellent Wigwam glamping pods run by Martyn and Jane, where we were staying for the weekend. I wasn't sure what to expect with the covid restrictions and it being the first weekend of being able to visit outdoors. However, it was fantastic from start to finish. The Manager, Megan, promptly confirmed our booking and all the staff were very attentive and friendly. It was very busy but this did not lower the service and quality of food. We enjoyed it that much we booked to come back on the Sunday.

Well done guys. We hope to see you again soon.

Cheers
Matt

Date of stay: April 2021
Reviewed 19 March 2021

Well, where to start? We took this trip when overnight stays were still allowed. Having not been a while for a while (like everyone else!) we were SO excited. We had always had this hotel on our list of places to stay so I contacted the hotel before booking.
The booking was sorted over messenger with the general manager, Megan. At this point she could have not been more helpful! The first thing I asked was if the Valley Suite was free on a certain date and Megan confirmed it was. I then asked if that particular room was dog friendly as we would be bringing our dog, and she said it was and there was a charge. During the conversation Megan also went to the trouble of advising me about local dog walks and even wrote a dog emoji, so there was no doubt in my mind they knew we were bringing our dog.
A week or so before our stay lockdown measures were due to change so I rang up to confirm the booking. At this point i once again double checked, we are in the valley suite, with a dog. Confirmed - yes , no problem!
Upon arrival, we were not greeted with the best welcome, again by the manager. My partner then followed me in with the dog and then all of a sudden it was ''oh you cant stay in that room with a dog''. I said well I had this confirmed with yourslef, AND again on the phone??? Quite literally just said no you cant you will have to have a different room. Baring in mind we had booked because thats the room we had always had our eye on and wanted to stay in. If not, we wouldn't have booked.
Megan said the bed in the room we were being given wasn't made, but that someone would come in and make it when we were at dinner and when we came down for our meal just to ask one ofthem. i didn't think that was great either to be honest but at that point we just wanted to get settled after travelling.
We were then given the keys to the room which could not have been further away from the room we had booked, we were so disappointed. Because the bed wasn't made you could also see stains all over the mattress protector, vile.
My partner then went downstairs to book our slot for dinner. I must add, he is VERY laid back, doesn't get annoyed easily at all. When he went to reception, again with the manager, she was again so rude. Absolutely no warm conversation and horrendous customer service.
We went down for our dinner and it was nothing short of a shambles. I did feel sorry for the staff as it was close to lockdown changing and they were HEAVING. However, surely, knowing bookings, you would get extra staff in to help with this?
The food took around 2 hours to come, we had to ask for drinks which took 30mins/45 mins to come, we were fed up by then. The food itself was actually fantastic, every credit to the chef! Steak was great and the chips and onion rings were delicious. The pub area is very cosy! I grabbed one of the members of staff to ask about the bed, to which we were told, sorry would you be ok to make it yourself? So, by this point, its a joke! The lady could clearly see the look on my face before I could even speak and said, don't worry we will be knocking a considerable amount off your bill. Next minute, shes back to say she has done it herself??
Breakfast - was awful. There was 'nothing left' - baring in mind its cooked to order?? But they just had nothing. The eggs were dry and bland and there was just one piece of cold, burnt toast. However, the waitress was lovely and very attentive.
Upon checking out we had the lady who we had had the conversation with about our bed previously the night before. I felt bad because she was lovely and you could tell that the cared. Maybe if she had managed our booking / checked us in, the experience would have been different? I didn't catch her name but was young with blonde hair.
Overall, it was a shambles of a trip. The only good thing was our evening meal! No money was knocked off and I think what made us so angry, was there was NO apology. The room mess up was their fault and if Im honest what I think happened was, there was a mess up and that room was given to someone else. Absolutely no customer service skills what so ever. Its a shame as we really would love to stay in that room and the area is lovely too, but I'm not sure we would return after having such a bad experience.

Date of stay: November 2020
Reviewed 5 November 2020 via mobile

Stayed here for one night, midweek break. We had a fantastic time. From checking in to check out we couldn't of been anymore looked after. Megan, the general manager is fantastic. She made sure we were happy and attended to us throughout our stay. Covid restrictions in place and clearly displayed. Big shout out to Joe who works behind the bar. He waited on us and keep us in food and drinks whilst we was in the bar. Evening meal was fantastic quality and delicious. Breakfast was lovely and served promptly. All staff are a credit to you and make shireburn a fantastic place. Lovely relaxed atmosphere in gorgeous surroundings. We got married here in 2017 and have returned many times and each time gets better. Will definitely be returning when we can. Thanks again team shireburn!!

Date of stay: October 2020
Reviewed 31 October 2020 via mobile

Highly recommend- stayed one night in the suite, stunning view from the room
Delicious dinner, great breakfast and great night’s sleep. Friendly welcome too! Lovely walk along Ribble and stonyhurst college

Date of stay: October 2020