“Wonderful afternoon tea at Mitton Hall”

Mitton Hall Brasserie
Ranked #28 of 148 Restaurants in Clitheroe
Price range: USD 20 - USD 33
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Breakfast, After-hours, Delivery, Reservations
Description: A 15th-century manor house in rural Lancashire, Mitton Hall creates fine food using local produce. Showcasing stunning interior design, the restaurant serves rich British and European dishes, a hearty Sunday lunch, and classic afternoon teas. From the flavour-packed Mitton Hall menu, expect the likes of pan-fried fillet of seabass with crushed new potatoes, spring greens and garlic veloute, or the Mediterranean vegetable risotto with parmesan shavings and truffle oil. Finish with one of the tempting desserts, including white chocolate, orange and ginger cheesecake with brandy snap curl, or apple pear and berry crumble. Afternoon tea at the Mitton Hall restaurant is both relaxed and indulgent, with fresh sandwiches and a selection of cakes and scones served by the roaring fire in the main hall, in the bar, or in the elegant brasserie. When the weather allows, afternoon tea can be enjoyed from the sunny terrace. Mitton Hall near Clitheroe is surrounded by idyllic scenery. Blackburn and Burnley are both a 20-minute drive away.
Reviewed 5 September 2017

We were all completely enchanted by the building and setting of the venue before we even entered Mitton Hall. Once we stepped inside we were not disappointed. So, after enjoying a warm welcome we sat and had a drink in the main hall, which had a roaring log fire, before being shown to our table. We were seated in the window where we were able to watch the photographer doing his job with the wedding photographs being taken in the lovely grounds. The food was superb and our New Zealand visitor, who was celebrating her birthday, was completely taken aback with the complimentary birthday “cake” and glass of champagne that was presented to her after the meal. As I have said the food was excellent, the surroundings were excellent but the stand out feature for all of us was the wonderful staff. Every single member of staff we had contact with was excellent from the reception, the bar and the waiter service, every person was happy, engaging, helpful and a delight to deal with. Our visitor from abroad was enormously impressed and thoroughly enjoyed the whole experience, as did all four of us. Thanks very much Mitton Hall.

Reviewed 25 August 2017

Booked a meal for three on my partners birthday for an early Sunday evening.Food excellent and very well presented by pleasant staff ..Mitton Hall is a beautiful old building tastefully decorated to a high standard.
Both our steak and chicken dishes tasty as expected.....we will be returning again.

Reviewed 23 July 2017

I found out, whilst reading #SashaAndGrahamsTripAdvisor review, that Mitton Hall had introduced vegan menus, so emailed to request copies.

I was gutted the menus were heavily soya based and with the Wellington containing lentils, my allergies were a right pain. However chef suggested a Moroccan spiced chickpea and pepper Wellington, with spiced tomato and saffron sauce and coriander relish instead.

There are several vegan wines on the list which I recognised, as I have done alot of research as to vegan wines, but sure if I dug deeper on Mitton Halls' wine list, there would be loads more. These are a few of them, but what a shame they are not clearly labelled: Adobe Cabernet Sauvignon, Novas Cabernet Sauvignon, Tabali Viognier, Sanviglio Pinot Grigio.

I kicked off with blood orange and fennel salad with a tapioca crisp, a lovely light, refreshing dish, the fennel was prepared like ceviche so marinated in citrus juices to soften it. My main course was equally well presented and really delicious and the coriander relish was fabulous, but there were no potatoes or vegetables, as on my husband's vegetarian version, only salad. I mentioned the lack of potatoes on my main course to the Manager, who said she would pass my comments on to the kitchen. I wished I had said something earlier, as on checking the vegan menu, on returning home, the dish should have had new season potatoes and spring greens. This is something Mitton Hall need to keep an eye on, if the menu says what is included in a dish, it should be on the plate when served to the customer. But I have to give credit where its due, Head Chef Andy and his team are doing a great job of offering a vegan menu, especially (although I did not have one) some well thought out vegan desserts and although fruit plate is one of them and is normally on menus, the other three, are impressive to see.

I was impressed with the vegan menu overall and the Manager said their chefs were happy to amend dishes or offer alternatives, to suit people with allergies like me.

Other dishes that the rest of the table had included Caprese salad, pea veloute, chicken pate, ribeye steak, pig cheeks and a pannacotta, all the food was very good and we would definitely revisit. Service was very good from a young front of house team too.

Reviewed 2 June 2017

I was recently invited to return to Mitton Hall after a pretty upsetting experience (involving being accidentally served meat- see previous review). I was a bit dubious about returning but a lot of effort was put in by the Manager by e-mail and I was also sent their new vegan menus which sounded pretty impressive.

I went for my birthday on bank holiday Monday and there was a party of 7 of us. They put us in our own room and promptly asked who needed the vegan menus and presented them to me. Since my last visit when they had very few vegetarian options and even fewer vegan options they now have a vegan bar and tapas menu, a vegan starter menu, vegan mains and vegan desserts. This is such a breath of fresh air in the Ribble Valley which really doesn't cater to vegans very well.

They brought everybody a glass of prosecco on the house which was a lovely touch. The majority of us ordered 3 courses. Everybody was really happy with their food and the vegan options were really impressive.

To start I had shredded oriental vegetables with pancakes and hoisin sauce, delicious but the hoisin was a tad too salty for my taste. I then had crispy Tonkatsu tofu on a noodle salad which was really tasty. The tofu was perfectly firm and the crispy coating was lovely and not greasy as it can be. My boyfriend and I shared two desserts, the apple tarte tatin which was gorgeous and the sticky toffee pudding which was nice, but didn't blow us away.

Before desserts they also brought me out a Happy Birthday slate and another glass of prosecco. Another lovely touch. Overall the service was also good, prompt and helpful. My only comment would be that the waiting staff could be a little bit less serious and a bit more warm.

At the end of the meal we got the bill and they had very generously only charged us for the drinks. I was really impressed by the effort that was put in to make amends for the horrible experience I had last time, and the effort put into their new vegan menus. After this recent visit I would definitely come back to try the rest of the menu. I really hope the rest of James' Places follow suit and bring the Ribble Valley a bit more up-to-date.

Reviewed 26 May 2017

The service was excellent and our waitress was very friendly and chatty and made it a good experience.

Food is at the higher end of the brasserie style offering without really setting the world on fire...perhaps needs a little more finesse....portions are pretty sizeable though.

A very nice looking place in a good setting and pretty decent value for money.