“Really disappointing”

The Ambrette Margate
Ranked #9 of 218 Restaurants in Margate
Price range: USD 5 - USD 30
Cuisines: Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Business meetings, Special Occasion Dining, Local cuisine, Romantic, Groups
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: The Margate restaurant is nestled in the heart of the quirky old town surrounded by cafes, retro antique shops. Its a stones throw from the world famous Turner Art Gallery.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

Once our favourite restaurant locally, though this week has totally turned our thoughts, with planning never to waste our time and money here again. Having been loyal customers since the restaurant opened, with our first dining a shear delight and having enjoyed several tasting menus and other dining experiences since. This week, on 4th February 2018, I took my partner for a belated birthday meal. To begin, the service was lousy, almost ignorant and the food was equally disappointing. The pork belly with crispy crackling had uncooked/unrendered disgusting looking fat layer, beneath a soggy crackling. Even other dishes where too heavily spiced it detracted the flavours of other elements on the dish, where previously the spices were more carefully added to deliver a balanced plate. Even when complaining about the poor food, we received no apology or any other offering. Sad to say, will never eat here again!! Flavours by Kumar, will no see us more!!

1  Thank MarkR5637
Write a ReviewReviews (1,317)

Reviewed 3 April 2018

Our first visit and we were made very welcome.We particularly enjoyed both the ' rack of Lamb' and the rib eye of beef both cuts individually flavoured and a welcome change from Sunday Carvery styke

Reviewed 29 March 2018

well cooked food with a fantastic blend of textures and a wonderful blend of flavours. The staff attentive, and will explain the contents of each dish.

Reviewed 29 March 2018

Love this place, we decided to have the tasting menu and I can honestly say it was all lovely from the welcome cocktail through to the chocolate platter there wasn’t a dish I didn’t enjoy! I’m not a lover of overly hot spicy food but this was perfect, the bill for 4 of us including wine and beer came to less than £250 which is certainly not the most expensive tasting menu I’ve tried would definitely recommend!

Reviewed 26 March 2018 via mobile

Staff attentive and quick even though it was a busy day. Food cooked to perfection and delicious. Have eaten here on several occasions and never once have I been disappointed with my meal