“Afternoon Tea”

Ranked #35 of 218 Restaurants in Margate
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 9 May 2018

My family visited the Walpole Bay today, to celebrate my sister's 60th birthday. We were booked in for an Afternoon Tea. The place has a very traditional feel to it, and is very quirky with very nice matching china. The sandwiches were ok, but were cut into quarters and still had the crusts on. In my experience, the sandwiches are usually cut into fingers and have the crusts removed. The scones were very nice and light, but we were very disappointed to have whipped cream instead of the traditional Clotted Cream. There was also 2 pieces of cake too. However, if you're looking for somewhere interesting, quirky and old, then this is the place to go! It is a museum hotel and has lots of interesting period artefacts, including an original trellis gated lift!

Date of visit: May 2018
2  Thank lovetorquay

Reviewed 24 April 2018 via mobile

We visited the Walpole Bay Hotel to have coffee plus a light lunch, and to look at all the Artifax in there museum, it has to be seen to believed, it takes you back to bygone years. Wonderful service from staff, very friendly,nothing was too much trouble, we had sandwiches and tea for lunch. All served on bone china. Just like it was done years ago. The prices was very reasonable, we will go back again.

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank glenisbryant
Reviewed 8 April 2018

Four of us visited last week for a birthday tea. All was perfect, beautiful cream scones, lovely crockery and cutlery, comfortable chairs and sofas just the right side of shabby chic. Such a memorable experience we are going back with week to celebrate my daughter's birthday!

Date of visit: March 2018
2  Thank Sweetthursday
Reviewed 4 April 2018

We had the cod and chips, Plaice and Sea Bass. All were very good with my chunky Sea Bass the best I've had in the UK.
Chunky chips were (apparently) good too.
Don't expect a late sitting though - we were last orders at 8pm (on a Tuesday).

Date of visit: April 2018
1  Thank jeremy g
Reviewed 19 March 2018

Very disappointed with our afternoon tea last week. Personally a round of sandwiches cut into four triangles with crusts on doesn't represent what I regard as afternoon tea sandwiches. I see them as crustless finger sandwiches, far more finesse !!
The scones however were very good. The cake selection was very poor. Basically we were served slices of plain and chocolate cake from a tray bake both with a drizzle of icing and a dusting of icing sugar. My grand daughters aged 11 and 12 produce far more superior cakes. All in all not a good experience.
So if you are thinking of going, DON'T BOTHER.

Date of visit: March 2018