“Friendly relaxed delicious Christmas dinner”
Review of The Hoy

The Hoy
Ranked #38 of 182 Restaurants in Margate
Cuisines: Seafood, British
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Grill Style Steaks Burgers classic British Foods & Light Bites
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
“Friendly relaxed delicious Christmas dinner”
Reviewed 14 December 2011

8 of us visited The Hoy on December 13th and had a Christmas evening out. None of us had ever been there before but will certainly go again. The atmosphere was friendly and relaxed, the service attentive but not intrusive and the food was delicious and obviously prepared with imagination and care. I look forward to sampling other things on their interesting menu

• Visited December 2011
3 Thank Anthea30

“Nice restaurant but lacking atmosphere”
Reviewed 7 December 2011

I have eaten here a few times now and have never had a bad meal yet. Like the other reviews I must say the service and food is good. The waitresses are happy and greet you with a smile and the food is better then most of the restaurants around. They do a jazz night on friday nights that that would be nice if the restaurant was busy but we've only been the only table when we have dinned then.

The reason for not giving this a top rating is the atmosphere is lacking. Even though the staff are happy to chat with you the restaurant is very quiet and the people that do drink at the bar are very rude. I wouldn't take my kids here as the manageress who is very friendly seems to get tipsy and likes to swear openly. Other then that its a lovely restaurant.

2 Thank kate_carter83
Ashford, United Kingdom
“GOOD PUB GRUB”
Reviewed 28 November 2011

I give The Hoy the top rating for producing exceedingly good pub grub at a most reasonable cost. Pub Grub has come a long way in the past two decades and in the better establishments like The Hoy which are more restaurants than public houses, the food has reached a very good standard indeed with a good choice on offer.

For example I had a seafood platter starter with generous portions of smoked salmon, fresh white and brown crab meat, cockles, shelled prawns, and large prawn in shell together with a couple of dips and two slices of really tasty bread. And the cost? £5! I have had less than this in terms of quantity and quality in many restaurants at upwards of twice the price.

Our waitress was absolutely great both in terms of pleasantness, care, and efficiency which added to the more than comfortable accommodation of this seemingly recently renovated establishment and to a very high standard, made for a most enjoyable diversion from the nearby Turner Contemporary Gallery. the main purpose for our visit to Margate.

• Visited November 2011
3 Thank BOUGHTON1
Margate, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“second visit dissapointing”
Reviewed 15 November 2011

We have been to the Hoy twice now, our first visit was a real eye opener and very pleasant, good service and very good food, hence our return a week later.
Oh dear what a change, still a very warm welcome and efficient service although this should be expected as we were the only diners that evening !
I tried a different starter this time and had the mussels, they tuned out to be those terrible tastless homonginised little things, in a fairly average chorizo and cream sauce,my wires goats cheese was ok.
My wife thoroughly enjoyed the duck first time, but decided to try the "steak of the day" which was supposed to be Ribeye with a Bernaise sauce, whilst we were eating our starters the waitress told us that there wasn't any Bernaise, found this odd as so it seems did the messenger, and accepted to have the pepper sauce, oh dear what a mess, the steak most certainly was the strangest looking piece of Ribeye that I have ever seen, and the sauce was a horrible red twangy cococoction that was inedible and spoilt the piece of steak that it touched,
I chose to repeat the lamb with black puddng as I had enjoyed it so much the first time, but this turned out to be a mistake, this time although a larger portion it proved to be just a bigger mess, the lamb was so fatty, and the mushroom sauce a complete let down, the whole evening a real dissapointment

Visited November 2011
1 Thank happychappie587
Ramsgate, United Kingdom
“Excellent Freshly Prepared and Cooked Food for a Good Price”
Reviewed 9 November 2011

I took my mum here for her birthday on my last visit because every time I've been I've been really happy with the quality and good value of the food. Everything is cooked on the premises and tastes great. I think I've been about 8 times now and never been disappointed. You really get your money's worth with the platter and the fish and chips especially. My favourite starter is the prawns with a pineapple salsa, the main duck breast with parsnip crisps and the sticky toffee pudding mmmmmmmmmmmmmm! You might be able to get a cheaper meal in another pub but not by much and it definately won't be made from scratch like here. The service is very friendly too! Nice ambience and unpretentious and great sea views to boot.

• Visited October 2011