All reviews four poster old building poster room high street first class lovely meal low beams you'd expect lamb wine list delicious food kent village beautiful village sardines great quality comfortable bed warm welcome
Reviewed 16 November 2017

We were driving through this quintessentially Kent village and stopped, unplanned, for lunch here on a rainy Wednesday. As you can see from the pictures, it is a picturesque, characterful building and this follows right though the interior. The staff were welcoming and polite from the moment we entered the building until we left. The relaxed bar/restaurant setting was comfortable and cosy. The lunchtime menu offered a good range of starters, meat, grill, seafood and veggie dishes - which combined with a further 12 dishes on the specials board, catered to most tastes and requirements. There was also a sandwich menu available. To the important bit! - The food was great. Generous potions, served piping hot, in good time. Great quality, we couldn't find fault (and trust me, as a chef, I love to!). The Paella was outstanding and packed with flavour and a generous portion of seafood, causing the diner to declare that this was the best Paella I have ever eaten in the UK. The food was accompanied by great quality wine and again I must mention the lovely, unfussy service. In essence, we found it hard to find fault with this place at all. In order to have balance in a review, there must be some constructive criticism we can offer - in this case, it's this pathetic comment - you have such a beautiful, well cared for venue, with great staff, you really should dispose of the ugly plastic orchid in the mens loo! That said, we'll be back, this is somewhere we plan to bring family and friends and are planning to book a room in the spring (to take advantage of the awesome views from the back of the house, sadly obscured today by the November weather) so we can do 3 courses with wine and retire greedily to bed.

Room Tip: We didn't sleep her, just dined.
  • Stayed: November 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 October 2017

This is a lovely hotel with really wonderful service. We were checked in by Sam who along with another server (red hair) provided great care. We shared a bathroom which was fine. Our room overlooked the road but the noise was negligible (the view from the other side would be wonderful, I'd imagine). We had several meals here as well as breakfast, all were very good, and the pub has a nice laid back atmosphere. A lovely little hotel in a beautiful village.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the valley.
  • Stayed: October 2017, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 October 2017 via mobile

Lovely old building, full of charm and character. Staff were polite and attentive. The room (3) was a good size but whilst the decoration may be seen to be in keeping with the feel of the property, it is also in need of a bit of tlc. Nice restaurant and bar, good evening meal and breakfast. Minor gripes regarding the toilet not flushing properly (front of flusher kept falling off) and the wall lights, which would not switch off. Mentioned this at check out as only found out after midnight of the 1 night stay and not much anyone could do to resolve at that time of day but kept me awake for most of the night. Overall, good but no more than that.

Stayed: October 2017, travelled on business
Reviewed 22 September 2017

I have passed this place numerous times. Today I popped in for a lunchtime Drink.
Was greeted by Lisa, very welcoming who allowed her time to talk about the history of the pub and local life. She even fetched a charger for my phone.
The interior is beautifully olde worlde and the patio outside seating area overlooks the rolling countryside.

• Stayed: September 2017, travelled solo
Reviewed 23 August 2017 via mobile

My husband and I are regular customers and could not rate this establishment high enough.
The Star and Eagle offers a private, informal and well organised restaurant/bar/boutique hotel. Staff are friendly and welcome coeliacs.
No other hotel locally can compare to their service.
A real treasure!