All reviews four poster old building poster room lovely hotel high street first class low beams lovely meal stayed for one night comfortable bed lamb wine list wheel chair kent village beautiful village sardines great quality
Reviewed 1 September 2009

The S&E is old - very old - and the rickety staircases, floors and ceilings are part of its charm, as are the expansive views over the countryside from the rooms at the back.

We didn't get the room we requested but were put into a room at the back of the hotel (with very fine views over the countryside. The room itself was clean and comfortable but rather charmless - lots of magnolia plasterboard rather than gnarled beams! As others have mentioned, it's a shame that the rooms don't have tea/coffee facilities. It did, however, have free wifi internet access!

The breakfast was fine with friendly service. We didn't eat in the hotel in the evening as we're both vegetarian and the choices were very limited!

I'd happily go back, if only for the location and friendly service.

Date of stay: August 2009
1  Thank LoxiLane
BettyGoudhurstKent, Owner at Star & Eagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2010

I was so sorry to learn you didn't fully enjoy your stay with us. We do provide room service for teas/coffees etc and we will also deliver a newspaper & morning tea to you first thing in the morning. I'm sorry you didn't notice that in the room folders when you were here, you only had to ask. The building is very historic, most of the walls made in a traditional way with lath & plaster. There are examples of it framed along the corridors, since it is of interest to people keen on history & ancient buildings. Each year we put aside a considerable amount of money to refurbish rooms, replace carpets, new curtains, building repairs etc. I try to keep walls plain but do use paint products from company's such as Zoffany, Farrow and Ball, William Morris & Co. I'm going stop using Zoffany (straw) now you thought it was good old reliable Magnolia. Not that there is anything wrong with Magnolia!

We don't have a huge range of vegetarian food on the menu I know. We have great meat & fish options for which we are well known. You will be pleased to know we have added a couple more vegetarian options now and we have loads of fresh ingredients to hand so we are always willing to make something special from scratch should the request arise. When you go away and stay somewhere talk to the person in charge about your requirements, most places are only to willing to try to accommodate your needs and for you to go away happy. If they are not, then by rule of thumb not worth going back again. Well I wouldn't anyway!!

Reviewed 31 July 2009

Several years ago I passed through Goudhurst and thought that the Star and Eagle looked like a great place (Americans like myself love the oldey-worldy ambiance). True, the public rooms lived up to the promise of the exterior. My single room was fronting the noisy street and the bathroom could use an update. My major disappointment was with the meals. Bland, small portions and over-priced. Breakfast promised a full English fry-up or continental. My continental choices were cereal or dry toast. I'd recommend eating elsewhere (although breakfast was included). No wi-fi in my room although possibly in other rooms.

Date of stay: July 2009
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
2  Thank pwillowCotswolds
BettyGoudhurstKent, Owner at Star & Eagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 February 2011

How awful! Your single room sounds like a cell and breakfast prison rations. We are always willing to cook up something special for our guests and have a multitude of fresh ingredients in our kitchen stores. Within reason, if we have what you would like in stock we are more than happy to cook it for you. We have recently extended our breakfast menu to cater for people wanting a lighter breakfast and have always baked our own bread of course. Wi Fi can be a bit temperamental in the best of places but I think we have it right. No single rooms I'm afraid though, all doubles and twins. If you are passing this way again we would love to see you again.

Reviewed 20 July 2009

The Star and Eagle is an historic building at the end of a busy village high street. The communal parts of the hotel are dark and full of character, but the room we stayed in (the half-tester) was dull, dusty and the bathroom overdue for refurbishment. Also, there were none of the little touches that you'd expect at these prices - particularly tea & coffee facilities. Staff were helpful and courteous. Breakfast poor, very little choice. Dinner and lunch very average, very overpriced.

Date of stay: July 2009
3  Thank maybeImtoofussy

I must confess I have always been wounded since July last year about your review of my pride & joy - The Half Tester! I decided today to put it to bed and write to you about it. I know there are some places you either love or hate and I do know that some people hate old buildings such as this with the tiny corridors and some rooms a little tricky to get to such as the Half Tester ( people were smaller years ago) you need a bit of a sense of adventure and humour. Also old places like this can be dust buckets especially if it has been very windy, it seems to drop from the beams. We do polish each day believe it or not, so, sorry if something was overlooked the day you stayed.

Since we are definitely not a Boutique hotel ( very nice some of them are too, stayed in a few) we have tried to keep the rooms very traditional in furnishings & style ( not every one's cup of tea ). Since it is one of our very special rooms like the Four Poster I spent a long time considering different fabrics and furnishings for this room. At great expense I opted for some fabric from the Italian Voyage collection and had the curtains, chair covers, cushion covers and bedspread made by hand. I sourced the Antique (not junk shop!) dressing table, wardrobe and bedside tables and was and still am very proud of my creation. Surprise, Surprise, some people do actually ask for that room and I love it to bit's.

I am very keen on being competitive and keep a firm eye on prices for accommodation & food of the same standard that we are offering. I would say our prices are very middle of the road. So more expensive than some places but also cheaper than a lot. We employ quite a few people here including 3 chef's that produce fresh restaurant food at the higher end pub prices and it works for us. We do also provide good old fashioned room service if required.

I do know that after all these years serving the public that you can only try to please everybody, it doesn't always work. I'm just sorry that you were disappointed and went away unhappy.

Reviewed 3 June 2009

If you want an enchanting English experience, this hotel/pub is the place. Located next to a late Medieval church, this 15th century hotel has more atmosphere and ambiance than most "historic" inns. The basic room was most comfortable and the lack of tea and cookies in your room is understandable in a building as old as this (hello - fires.) The restaurant downstairs is outstanding and the prices on both are most reasonable. My husband and I will be returning, especially since it is so close to London and the village is very quaint.

Date of stay: May 2009
1  Thank Streeterdecendant

So glad you love our place as much as we do. A lot of effort & money goes into the pot to keep this old place ticking over and in good repair. We consider ourselves very fortunate caretakers!

Reviewed 28 May 2009

Nice hotel, but definitely not 4 star!
The room was okay (the Half Tester room), but I've never been to a 4 star that doesn't have tea & coffee facilities in the room! I had to go to the bar and buy a coffee. The water also took about 3 minutes before it came through hot.
We snuck a look at The Four Poster bedroom and it was much more impressive, but still didn't see any tea or coffee.
Over priced at £100. And very over priced if you have to pay £130!
The only plus was the restaurant.
We stayed on 24/5/9 and won't be going back.

Date of stay: May 2009
1  Thank MartonSadler
BettyGoudhurstKent, owner/manager at Star & Eagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2009

I was interested to read your review of my hotel. The AA, Tourist board, RAC, who grade hotels, Inns & bed & breakfasts have changed the rating system in the last couple of years and it is now a bit misleading for the average guest. Hotels were once classified by stars and Inns/ bed & breakfast by crowns. Now both are classified by stars eg 4 Star Hotel = The Hilton Hotel London @ £250 plus per night not including breakfast and a 4 Star Inn = small country pub /restaurant with good food & accommodation @ £85/£130 a night inc breakfast. Standard & facility requirement very different. Most bed & breakfast accommodations who do not have facilities eg staying in someones house who has letting accommodation will have kettles in the room so that guests can make a drink without bothering the owners who quite often run the business themselves. In some small hotels such as mine that does have all the facilities ie bar, restaurant, fully staffed we like to go one more and provide a personal room service. Beverages are available from 7 am to 11.30 pm every day and we will even deliver to your room for you at no extra charge. We also provide morning tea & newspaper delivery service as advertised in our room folders. I'm sorry that your expectation of a four star hotel was not met at our four star Inn.