All reviewsfour posterold buildingposter roomhigh streetfirst classlovely meallow beamsyou'd expectlambwine listdelicious foodkent villagebeautiful villagesardinesgreat qualitycomfortable bedwarm welcome
Reviewed 28 April 2016

My husband, myself & two friends stayed @ The Star & Eagle & thoroughly enjoyed the experience. To get to our rooms, we had to duck down as the ceilings were very low but that was because the building is hundreds of years old. The beds were very comfortable & the rooms were very cosy. We ate in the restaurant & all really enjoyed our food. My friend & I had the fish pie which we both agreed was delicious whilst my husband & his friend had the sirloin steak which they told me was cooked to perfection.
The portions were generous so much so that I couldn't manage the bread & butter dessert (which is a particular favourite of mine!) although my husband & my friend did. Her husband had the pavlova which he said was also delicious. All in all a very nice weekend. Thank you to all concerned.

Room Tip: Room 9 has a very low (authentic) beam so a tall person might find it difficult to avoid.
  • Stayed: April 2016, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 March 2016 via mobile

Very nice location, with a lot of details that makes you feel in a place with warmth. And with several hundred years of history, that cannot be seen in the things you use, but only in the ones you enjoy seeing. St Mary's Church on the side, with - as usual- a surrounding graveyard with a sign saying "Entertaining Life", amazing.

Stayed: March 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 21 February 2016 via mobile

Came to view as a wedding venue. To say the least I was sceptical from the limited information and pictures. But believe me when I say they do not do it justice!

The staff are helpful and friendly. The pub and dining areas are beautiful, especially if you appreciate the old style buildings, this one is a treat!

We were shown around the whole building and talked through how the day would go. The building is incredible. I have never been in one like it, like being in an Alice in wonderland themed building with the small doorways and wonky ceilings and floors in some of the guest rooms. This building is not the modern stark tech fussy type and I love it. Exposed beams, low ceilings, fire place.

Karen bent over backwards to tell us we could do pretty much what we wanted, I don't think I heard her say no during our whole time with her, and she gave us a quote then and there. This is a serious choice for our venue as we all fell in love from the minute we came in the door.

The prices are also incredibly reasonable for such a hidden gem!
Can't wait to go back!!!

Stayed: February 2016, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 February 2016

This hotel is easy to find and has plenty of free car parking at the rear and front. We stayed here after visiting Scotney Castle which is nearby. We booked the four poster room after reading reviews on this site. The room is right over the main road which was quite noisy even with secondary glazing. The mattress needs replacing and dips in the middle. The television is quite small and cant really be seen if you are sitting on the bed. The restaurant was quite busy and the food and service were good. It is overpriced even for a quaint hotel.

Room Tip: As for a room away from the road
  • Stayed: February 2016, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 3 January 2016 via mobile

Stayed here as a birthday treat for my partner so we stayed in the four poster room. The room breathed history yet the bathroom was modern and well equipped. Dinner in the restaurant was a little pricey however you pay for quality and this was of the highest standard. Staff were so friendly and helpful and couldnt do enough for us.

Stayed: November 2015, travelled as a couple