“Fantastic Time!”
Review of Star & Eagle Hotel

Star & Eagle Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Goudhurst
Reviewed 19 November 2007

We recently had the good fortune to have our wedding at the star and Eagle and booked out all the rooms for friends and family. This gave us a chance to really explore the entire place and we could not get over how fantastic and olde worlde this hotel was. Yes you have to duck to get down to the rooms at the back, but that is a part of this place's charms. Each room hired by us was different in shape, style and decor, and was a delight to everyone that stayed there. The rooms were clean and well made up and suited the ambience of the building perfectly.

We stayed for two nights, and enjoyed the full breakfast each day, as well as having dinner (including the wedding meal) there twice. Out of our group of ten + plus wedding guests there was not one person who did not enjoy their meal.

The owners and staff of this hotel were attentive and helpful during the entire stay and could not be faulted, one of our guests was in a wheel chair and while he did not stay over night, all was done to ensure that he could get around the bumps and tight corners while on site.

Finally being in the location that this hotel is, (half the rooms have outstanding views of the Kent countryside), in the heart of the Kent weld, you could not ask for a better place to spend a weekend....

3  Thank mandap
BettyGoudhurstKent, Owner at Star & Eagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 July 2010

It was a pleasure to organise your wedding day. Although a lot of communication was done via e mail, very long distance, between us we managed to get it spot on, didn't we? It is always great to see you when you are over visiting your relatives, you are a lovely couple. We wish you lots of happiness

Reviewed 18 November 2007

Our eight day stay during July and August 2005 was arranged to attend our Nephews wedding at All Saint's in Staplehurst. The Star & Eagle was recommended by our Nephew and his intended. Our arrival was warmly and efficiently handled and assisted to our room #10 through an amazing series of corridors reflecting the 400 years of required reconstructions. We were aware that the Inn was located on the only highway through Goudhurst so the view from our window was not a surprise. A part of our entertainment was watching the lorries trying to navigate the 90 degree turn just in front of the Inn although they were warned to take an alternate route because of that turn. Our travels throughout England, Scotland and Wales over the last 40 years has given us experiences most travellers would shun. I was surprised to read the complaints outlined in some of the other reviews. They were very reminiscent of a 'Faulty Towers' episode in which an American and his wife expected treatment only provided by The Dorchester in the West End, not a 400 year old Inn in a Kent village. I was also surprised that the complaints were all from UK locals. We had many meals at the hotel and entertained several guests during our stay and were all completely satisfied with the food and service. A pre-wedding dinner for about 30 people was handled efficiently and the food was exceptional. Prior to writing critical reviews of a facility, people should recognize the facility for what it is, not for what they would like it to be. The Star & Eagle is a significant part of English history and should be viewed in that light.

• Stayed: July 2005, travelled on business
4  Thank PALCART
BettyGoudhurstKent, Owner at Star & Eagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 July 2010

My staff and ourselves had a fabulous time with you and your wife during your stay in England. Thank you so much for the beautiful drawings your wife sent of the hotel when you returned to America. She is a fine artist.

Reviewed 28 October 2007

I am afraid we didn't research other reviews of this hotel beforehand, but were enticed by the website and 'searches' for a hotel in the area.
The room was sparce - yes, there was a four poster bed and TV - but no tea making facilities, or a complimentary newspaper for the following morning. The bathroom was sparce and one of the complimentary shampoo bottles was half empty - were they being refilled and reused?? Under the bed there was a champagne cork and rubbish - cleaning wasn't very good..
When we arrived, we eventually managed to alert the front of house manager's attention to our having arrived. She pointed to where the room was and offered us tea - only to be told it would be added to our bill when we'd finished it. No assistance was offered with bags and she very quickly returned to ordering from her Argos catalogue. This also continued whilst we were waiting for our tea and when other guests came down. We decided not to eat in for dinner.
The breakfast was horrid; it was clear that the toast and bacon/sausages etc had been sitting on hotplates for a while, and I don't know how they cooked the mushrooms but they were inedible and had some awful liquid coming out of them.
The service was the bare minimum, with an almost arrogant disregard for basic courtesy from the management downwards.
We paid £100 for the privilege.. Please don't make the same mistake.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
BettyGoudhurstKent, Owner at Star & Eagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2010

Sounds like we needed to pull our socks up in October 2007! I am pleased to say things are far, far better! I remember you well, I checked you in. We don't normally recycle toiletries, so I am sorry to hear that you may have found a suspicious bottle that looked like it had been opened in the bathroom and that there was a champagne cork under the four poster bed. We now make a point of getting right down under the bed & checking each day, it's surprising some of the things you find! We had a pleasant conversation during check in. Your room was just at the top of the staircase (Room 5) and since you only had one small suitcase that your partner was already holding, there didn't seem much point me insisting on taking it to the top of the stairs for him. You were looking forward to dropping off your things and coming down for afternoon tea. I served you your afternoon tea of homemade scones cream & Jam and Tea and I also checked that everything was to your liking. You assured me it was. We do unfortunately have to charge for our services and the afternoon tea was added to your bill as is custom in all hotels. I was filling in for a member of staff that was ill that day and trying to complete my own jobs too, I do remember compiling an urgent light bulb order for Lyco, although I must confess the Argos catalogue does sound so much more amusing and always makes me smile whenever I think about it. Since we only have ten rooms and we don't serve breakfast buffet style everything is cooked to order so I was concerned to hear that you were of the impression that it had been pre cooked. I was also very puzzled that you didn't turn up for your table that you had booked for dinner, it was very busy that evening and that you avoided me later that evening when I tried to catch your attention. Until I read your review I was totally unaware that anything was wrong. Had I been approached and I consider myself very approachable I would have tried to correct the things that you felt were wrong and you would not have gone away unhappy. I do hope you will give us another try if you are this way. I'm sure you will find that everything is just perfect.

Reviewed 28 September 2007

Did I commit a sin by not reading the couple of negative reviews of the Star & Eagle before making a late reservation? As it happens, I didn't! Perhaps it all worked out better because when I called the only double rooms left were one with a shared bathroom, and the No.2 deluxe room with half tester bed etc. When I said I didn't want to pay £100 pn for that, without any prompting the lady said I could have the superior room at the normal double rate (£80). So we had a reasonably nice room, given this is in a 400 year old inn extended into nearby properties. It was on the front, so we didn't get the distant views of the Weald, and there was some traffic noise, but not that bad unless you are a real sleepy head.

One drawback was that as you went to the room, the hallway got lower and lower, with some cross beams and steps. And the door into the room was only about 5ft high. Despite the warning signs, when fiddling with the temperamental lock, I stood up and hit my head on the beam. Now I know why they show stars in comic characters doing this. My fault of course. The beams are part of the hotel's style. Not for inflexible or unsteady on feet folk though. The bed was very comfortable, and plenty of nice fluffy towels- more than in some grander hotels. The hot water took and age to come through though.

Breakfast was limited to a few cereals, juices and the "full English" But all freshly prepared and hot. There is a formal restaurant (3 courses £22) and snacks and full meals in the bar from a varied chalkboard selection at typical pub prices (£10-16). A lovely old bar area, dark oak Jacobean furniture and plenty of old pub atmosphere.

Goudhurst is typical of many pretty Kent villages, though being on a main route with a tight corner by the hotel, there is a traffic issue. But it's a great base for visiting quite a few NT properties in the vicinity ( Bateman's, Rudyard Kipling' s house, and Smallhythe Place, Ellen Terry Victorian actress's house probably the pick) as well as at least 3 vineyards, including Chapel Down and Lamberhurst. Plenty to do whatever the weather.

Star and Eagle was all one would expect from a very old inn. Plenty of history, good choice of food, not at all trendy or greatly modern, but bags of character in an interesting part of the country. Of course we may have been lucky to have got a rate on one of the better rooms- give haggling a try!

4  Thank Elton_Bear

Always willing to do a bit of negotiation to fill a room that hasn't been taken on the day. Seems it was worthwhile, thanks for your review

Reviewed 11 September 2007

Arrived at the Star & Eagle on a Sunday and we were told that the pub would be closed from 3.00 to 6.30 p.m. We had not been told this at the time of booking. Lady said she would get us a drink during this time if we wanted one but who really wants to sit in an empty pub? We were given our keys but not shown to our room. The room was okay but fronted onto a VERY busy road. There is double glazing but very hot day so had to open the window to sleep comfortably and was woken constantly by the continuous noisy traffic and had to get up at the crack of dawn Monday morning to close it as so noisy. No tea/coffee making facilities in room either. Ordered some lunch and waited for 10 minutes before told that something was no longer available on the menu. Went down to pub at 6.30. No music played until asked for some to be put on in the restaurant. We both ordered fillet steak medium but it was quite under-done. We left most of it but was refunded the money. Food quite unimaginative. Very disappointed. The staff (apart from the Spanish gentleman) were not very helpful/friendly either. All in all quite disappointed in our stay. I had booked it for my husband's birthday and was just not impressed. Breakfast was not too bad. Shame as building has a lot of potential if run in a better way.

2  Thank kentsnoopy
BettyGoudhurstKent, Owner/Manager at Star & Eagle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2010

Sorry to learn that we didn't live up to your expectations when you stayed with us. I remember you well. I was the person that checked you in and served you drinks in the afternoon. To recap - our bar open and closing times are advertised quite clearly on our web site, display cabinet in the entrance hall and hotel room folders. Sunday afternoons during the Autumn & Winter months we close for an hour or two to the general public because it is quiet and there is no one about in our village. However our bar and afternoon tea facilities are open to our residents. We are unable to guarantee a full bar, especially on a quiet Sunday afternoon/evening. We offer room service for drinks and snacks served in you room if required - also morning Tea and newspaper delivery service. We only have background music in our bar ( on low) and we don't have any piped music in our restaurant or other eating areas. I think my Spanish friend must have put his portable radio on for you to keep you happy! I hope you were impressed with our Autumn Winter accommodation offer of 25% off our room rates that you participated in.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Goudhurst
5.6 km away
16.2 km away
London Beach Country Hotel & Spa
10.9 km away
Mercure Tunbridge Wells

Been to Star & Eagle Hotel? Share your experiences!