Review Highlights
Afternoon Tea Dance - Great fun!

We decided to visit the Astor Theatre for their once a month afternoon tea dance. The host named... read more

Reviewed 2 weeks ago
Lindyloo662
Deal, United Kingdom
via mobile
Will Varley and The Astor Theatre

Fantastic, the Astor is a true gem and we are so lucky to have this wonderful welcoming venue. Will... read more

Reviewed 4 weeks ago
Joanne W
Deal, United Kingdom
via mobile

All reviews herb garden local venue tribute band cabaret style imaginative menu pre show classical music social club in recent years well stocked bar great bar friendly atmosphere seaside town aston stage audience bands
Reviewed 10 July 2018

We held our wedding reception here on 22 June with a live band and had the most amazing night!
We wanted something relaxed and fun and that's exactly what we got. The separate bar area meant there was room to mingle and chat while the theatre area looked amazing with the lighting and had plenty of room to dance - we danced our socks off! Staff were great, putting out food, making sure people had drinks and security on the door ensured only our guests came in. I could not fault the "techie" guys who helped the band set up and made sure the sound was good all night. We had so many lovely compliments from our guests on both the band and the venue - totally made our night.
The venue is centrally located and easy to get to using public transport. There is ample parking nearby in the evening and there are plenty of places to stay overnight nearby if you have travelled.
I would recommend this venue for a large party with a live band.

Reviewed 5 July 2018

I went alone to two shows whilst on holiday in Deal and it has a lovely community atmosphere. For one event ('Strictly Gershwin' a thirties style band with someone from Kent radio acting as narrator to 'tell the story' between numbers) I was somehow placed at a table and found this very pleasant - very friendly, chatty, people on my table. The other event I went to was a showing of the 1925 silent movie 'Phantom of the Opera' presented by an avant garde quartet Minimar, whose speciality is composing and playing live 'sound tracks' to silent films. "Well, that was different!" was what I heard coming from some people's lips as we left - not everyone's cup of tea maybe. Impressed all the same.

One thing I want to say is that the seating is really not adequate. I didn't notice it whilst at a table (maybe different chairs) but in the row seating the chairs were very small and you are touching the people either side of you if you are not careful. I am a 'skinny' size 12, but my maxi friend size 24, would have been most uncomfortable. I heard a negative comment about the chairs from a chap sitting behind me.

All in all, the Astor Theatre seems to be a wonderful local centre for exhibitions and shows. In the past I have also been to an art/photography exhibition and an antique fair, which may be a regular event. I could see from posters they have quite a lot of tribute bands and even fairly well known blasts from the past, like Judy Collins and Colin Blunstone. Very nice little bar as you go in. I believe there is also a cafe connected to the Astor open during the day, and sometimes for some evening events. Would definitely keep my eye out for any upcoming events next time I stay in Deal. Probably better to book in advance, as both times I went, it was almost full.

Reviewed 22 April 2018

This little theatre is great. It has a good bar and lovely staff. We visited to see an old pop singer called Colin Bluntstone, who was very good, especially at £25 per ticket. It is hidden away from the seafront, but easy to find.

Will certainly go back.

Reviewed 16 April 2018

Such a genuinely wonderful theatre, bar restaurant, art gallery, tucked away in the up and coming seaside town

Reviewed 21 February 2018

I howled with laughter at the 1 star review from someone who took their children to Private Widdle Social Club - sooo not for children! I have to say I'm grateful every week for this fabulous venue - it provides everything from live music bands, international stars, talks, classical music, regular clubs, choirs, adult education classes, cheeky cabaret, live broadcasts from national theatres etc, wedding and party venue, U3A venue... endless chameleon changes for myriad activities and every event feels like the venue is made just for that event. Great bar literally a few steps away from the auditorium, great food in the Herb Garden café during the day in the bar and pre-show meals at selected performances. Free parking in the evening right next door, close to Deal station as well. Truly wonderful management and staff, my life would be very much the poorer without it. Thank you all at Astor.