“Great place”

The Grand Junction Arms
Ranked #5 of 5 Nightlife in Tring
Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

Had a lovely meal, staff friendly and nice clean surroundings with a great view over the canal. Nice cup of coffee served also. Worth a visit and a walk along the canal .

Date of experience: August 2018

Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

We came for lunch on a Saturday, and sat outside so our little one could play on the play equipment in the big beer garden by the canal. It’s a lovely setting in fairness.

I went in to order the food and get some drinks, and was immediately faced by a queue of about 10 people waiting to be served by the two bar staff. Most people are ordering food and drinks, and because the menus aren’t on tables outside a lot of people haven’t even seen the menu yet, so the queue is not quick to move and you’d be pretty annoyed if you just wanted a drink and had to wait so long.

I experienced my first “red flag” from the bar staff when the fairly young guy on one of the tills basically had an argument with a customer, who had clearly already been up at least once to ask for extra plates or cutlery (I can’t remember which). His reasoning for the delay was just “we’re busy, can’t you see that?”. I then got called forward and tried to make light of the situation by saying something like “it is busy today isn’t it?” but basically just got stonewalled. Placed my order and went back outside.

Now, again in fairness, it was 1pm on a Saturday and there were a lot of people ordering food so I wasn’t expecting it to be particularly quick, and it took about 45 minutes for our order to come. The same guy from the bar was now on table duty, and brought our plates to the table with not a SINGLE word uttered, and walked away. I then realised we had no cutlery or sauces etc. so walked over to the kitchen door (which is open to see into from the garden) and said “can I grab some cutlery please?” to which the same guy just thrust three lots of cutlery and a tray of sauces into my hands and said “there you go, you can save me a job”. I can’t for one second believe that this is the attitude the owners are expecting their staff to adopt when dealing with paying customers, but I may be wrong.

The food was ok, nothing special, and is fairly pricey. Chips were nicer than average for a pub, but my fiancee’s “hot sausage” sandwich was neither spicy nor remotely warm in temperature, so we still don’t know which of those the “hot” was meant to refer to. As we ate, a wasp went inside my can of Pepsi and I spilled most of it trying to get it out. Now I’m a reasonable guy and I’m absolutely not holding that against the pub in any way, but my point is I then didn’t really fancy A) queueing for another 10 minutes to replace it or B) paying another £1.90 for a basic 330ml can of Pepsi.

In summary, the building and the beer garden are nice and it’s right by the canal so it’s enjoyable to be outside, which is why the place gets 2 stars from me and not just 1. The food is ok but quite slow to come and expensive, and the service and general attitudes of the staff are frankly terrible. I can’t say we’ll be back any time soon, as there is a complete antithesis of attitude and quality just a few locks down the canal at the Angler’s Retreat, where they are lovely people and the food is great.

Date of experience: August 2018
Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

What a lovely lunch we had here at the Grand Junction.
On an absolutely stunning day we sat out in the gardens where there is a huge seating area and mostly with parasols too.
There is a huge very open garden and a large play for children.
This is all on the edge of the canal so you need to keep a close eye on little ones.
This is a perfect place for families, couples or large groups. Wonderful to watch the boats go and down and to take a stroll along the tow path.
There is a lovely restaurant inside too, where we were warmly welcomed.
I had my favourite calamari dish, perfect if you are a seafood lover. The others had patē and the fish & chips all delicious and lovely presentation.
Dogs are welcome outside but to be kept on leads.
This place is well worth a visit any time. Just love the outdoors though oh and there’s a new decking area over looking the canal, it’s lovely and rather romantic too.
Highly recommend

Date of experience: June 2018
Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

My friend and I took a beautiful walk along the canal to the pub and fancied a coffee when we got there. We asked at the bar if they served coffee and the grumpy mans surly reply was simply “no, we’re too busy for coffee”
we giggled, assuming he was joking as they were clearly not busy, but his miserable face and lack of further reply showed us he was not joking, he was just rude. We ordered a couple of beers and on walking out of the bar a couple of other customers commented on how they’d also thought he was joking due to his rude manner and couldn’t believe his poor customer service. Such a shame as it is a beautiful location but this was not the only unfortunate experience that weekend. My 15-year-old son and three of his friends were doing their Bronze Duke of Edinburgh walk this weekend and happened to walk past the pub, they asked the staff if they would kindly fill up their water bottles and they refused. I think this is appalling and on such a hot day!

Date of experience: May 2018