The Grand Junction Arms
Open today: 12:00 pm - 2:30 pm, 6:00 pm - 9:00 pm
Review Highlights
Nice setting, food needs stepping up

maryfairy
london
via mobile
Nice garden

Matthew M
Buckinghamshire, United Kingdom

See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The garden in this pub is nice, but it's not the best pub inside. The food is decent, and has a good selection. The main selling point is a large, well placed garden on the canal.

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Been there at least 10 times, winter and summer, always great pub lunch - Sunday roast with friends then a nice walk by the canal. Food has never been the top end but we like the place. We turned up on a Sunday at 12:05 to be told all Sunday Roast was gone as only catered for inside table booking and 80% of food on menu was out.
We had to go somewhere else. Very disappointing!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Lovely sunny October day caught them unawares (perhaps check the forecast?). Really busy with al fresco diners, and not enough staff.

Main issue though was the food. A hunters chicken that was just chicken. Sweet potato chips that were just burnt. And desserts incl ice cream served on flat slates, so it melts everywhere (what next? Serving soup with a fork?).

Reviewed 7 September 2018

Well all I can say is - total rip off!! Ordered a cheese and chutney sandwich (£7.25), cheesy chips (£3.50), two halves of lager (£2.50 each). Couldn't quite work out why my tab came to over £17.00!! so went back to ask for a print out of my bill. Barman produced receipt and I noticed a 'service charge' of £1.57!! Asked why and was told all 'food' orders attract a surcharge - So when did two halves of lager become FOOD!!! What eventually arrived was two thick slices pf brown bread with two slices of 'plastic' cheese and four thin slices of tomato - no butter or spread on the bread even though we has asked if it came buttered!! I could have made that for under £1.50!!
When I questioned the barman about the 'service charge' I was advised that it is written on the Menu (in very tiny lettering at the bottom of the menu!!). On talking to another person in the garden they advised that they had been charged the 10% on a packet of peanuts ordered with their beer!! Are the proprietors of this establishment having a laugh!!! Defo won't be going back there and will pass on our negative comments to anyone else who might be tempted to visit. Incidentally, on our way to this establishment (on foot along the canal tow path) we met another couple who said they were disgusted at the service and quality/price of the food they had there. We should have listened to them!!

1  Thank marty449
Reviewed 7 September 2018 via mobile

Had a lovely meal, staff friendly and nice clean surroundings with a great view over the canal. Nice cup of coffee served also. Worth a visit and a walk along the canal .

Reviewed 19 August 2018 via mobile

We came for lunch on a Saturday, and sat outside so our little one could play on the play equipment in the big beer garden by the canal. It’s a lovely setting in fairness.

I went in to order the food and get some drinks, and was immediately faced by a queue of about 10 people waiting to be served by the two bar staff. Most people are ordering food and drinks, and because the menus aren’t on tables outside a lot of people haven’t even seen the menu yet, so the queue is not quick to move and you’d be pretty annoyed if you just wanted a drink and had to wait so long.

I experienced my first “red flag” from the bar staff when the fairly young guy on one of the tills basically had an argument with a customer, who had clearly already been up at least once to ask for extra plates or cutlery (I can’t remember which). His reasoning for the delay was just “we’re busy, can’t you see that?”. I then got called forward and tried to make light of the situation by saying something like “it is busy today isn’t it?” but basically just got stonewalled. Placed my order and went back outside.

Now, again in fairness, it was 1pm on a Saturday and there were a lot of people ordering food so I wasn’t expecting it to be particularly quick, and it took about 45 minutes for our order to come. The same guy from the bar was now on table duty, and brought our plates to the table with not a SINGLE word uttered, and walked away. I then realised we had no cutlery or sauces etc. so walked over to the kitchen door (which is open to see into from the garden) and said “can I grab some cutlery please?” to which the same guy just thrust three lots of cutlery and a tray of sauces into my hands and said “there you go, you can save me a job”. I can’t for one second believe that this is the attitude the owners are expecting their staff to adopt when dealing with paying customers, but I may be wrong.

The food was ok, nothing special, and is fairly pricey. Chips were nicer than average for a pub, but my fiancee’s “hot sausage” sandwich was neither spicy nor remotely warm in temperature, so we still don’t know which of those the “hot” was meant to refer to. As we ate, a wasp went inside my can of Pepsi and I spilled most of it trying to get it out. Now I’m a reasonable guy and I’m absolutely not holding that against the pub in any way, but my point is I then didn’t really fancy A) queueing for another 10 minutes to replace it or B) paying another £1.90 for a basic 330ml can of Pepsi.

In summary, the building and the beer garden are nice and it’s right by the canal so it’s enjoyable to be outside, which is why the place gets 2 stars from me and not just 1. The food is ok but quite slow to come and expensive, and the service and general attitudes of the staff are frankly terrible. I can’t say we’ll be back any time soon, as there is a complete antithesis of attitude and quality just a few locks down the canal at the Angler’s Retreat, where they are lovely people and the food is great.

Reviewed 20 June 2018 via mobile

What a lovely lunch we had here at the Grand Junction.
On an absolutely stunning day we sat out in the gardens where there is a huge seating area and mostly with parasols too.
There is a huge very open garden and a large play for children.
This is all on the edge of the canal so you need to keep a close eye on little ones.
This is a perfect place for families, couples or large groups. Wonderful to watch the boats go and down and to take a stroll along the tow path.
There is a lovely restaurant inside too, where we were warmly welcomed.
I had my favourite calamari dish, perfect if you are a seafood lover. The others had patē and the fish & chips all delicious and lovely presentation.
Dogs are welcome outside but to be kept on leads.
This place is well worth a visit any time. Just love the outdoors though oh and there’s a new decking area over looking the canal, it’s lovely and rather romantic too.
Highly recommend

Reviewed 7 May 2018 via mobile

My friend and I took a beautiful walk along the canal to the pub and fancied a coffee when we got there. We asked at the bar if they served coffee and the grumpy mans surly reply was simply “no, we’re too busy for coffee”
we giggled, assuming he was joking as they were clearly not busy, but his miserable face and lack of further reply showed us he was not joking, he was just rude. We ordered a couple of beers and on walking out of the bar a couple of other customers commented on how they’d also thought he was joking due to his rude manner and couldn’t believe his poor customer service. Such a shame as it is a beautiful location but this was not the only unfortunate experience that weekend. My 15-year-old son and three of his friends were doing their Bronze Duke of Edinburgh walk this weekend and happened to walk past the pub, they asked the staff if they would kindly fill up their water bottles and they refused. I think this is appalling and on such a hot day!

2  Thank TLSG
Reviewed 7 April 2018 via mobile

An excellent welcome from the assistant manager... attentive service and superb food (especially the crab n prawn linguine)
A little gem. We’ll be back!

Reviewed 19 February 2018 via mobile

We arrived here at 12.30 thinking we would get a table. Oh no, not a chance, fully booked you must book at least 2 weeks in advance.
It’s under new management/ ownership
The bar has been extended and there are smart tables and chairs in the dining area.
There were reserved tables all over.
It was a beautiful day outside so we opted to eat outside. It was very pleasant.
Lovely gardens and a large play area for the children with swings , slides and climbing apparatus.
This is all set beside the Grand Union Canal
We had just starters as we had a tight afternoon schedule.
The food was delicious and of excellent sized portions and came out so promptly.
We initially had corked Prosecco and the owner dealt with it immediately.
Thank you very much Harry and team.
We will be back.