“Comfortable, clean and cheerful”

Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Hatfield
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Comfortable, clean and cheerful”
Reviewed 3 March 2012

I was booked into this hotel by my company. Work mates of mine told me they prefer another hotel in Hatfield (one that I have reviewed already), and said this one was a dump.

That could not be farther from the truth! I checked in and was greeted by Julia. Very pleasant and helpful. As I wasn't expecting much, she seemed even more eager to help me out it seemed. Good reading of a customer there!

I stayed in room 135. The only gripe I have is that I had to walk a long way from the lobby to get to the room. But the room was clean and bright! Everything worked and the shower was to die for! When I first arrived in the room I was a bit miffed there was no tea tray, but after opening a few cupboards, I found it! Lovely!

When I sat on the bed I was concerned it might be too soft, but I slept well and no back ache! I like a firmer mattress and was dreading waking with a sore back, but I was wrong. Slept like a rock!

It was super quiet at this end of the hotel. It was on the ground floor and I was curious to see what was out the window. A lane with some houses. No traffic noise, no other noise for that matter.

Room service was prompt and the food was really nice. I had the grilled sea bass with noodles and a side salad. The fact that this hotel has room service was a plus to start with. After a long day at our Hatfield office, I really just want to eat and watch the news rather than sit in a restaurant with loads of other people.

Breakfast was great! Lots of selection and way too much food for me to eat, but it was laid out very nicely and the waitress was quick with the coffee and toast. They also left me alone with the newspaper, which is a bonus.

I sound like I don't like people, but when traveling for business I just prefer to be left alone (too much work in my head I suppose). The staff were friendly and just reserved enough.

The only other niggle I would add would be about the buffet that was set up in the bar/lounge area when I arrived in the early evening. I didn't know if it was a happy hour type buffet free for everyone, or set up for a particular purpose. This information would have been nice to have, but to be honest, I didn't ask, so may be partly my fault.

All in all, I will request to be booked into this hotel again by my company rather than the other one that I have reviewed previously - and this one is farther from the office. :o)

• Stayed February 2012, travelled on business
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this review, 8 March 2012
Dear Jacky,

Thank you for your review.

I was dissapointed your colleagues described our hotel as a dump but very pleased that you found the opposite to be the case.

I was delighted to read about the professional way in which Julia welcomed you to the hotel and that you enjoyed the room, food and service you recieved during your stay.

I am pleased that you are returning to the Mercure Hatfield Oak and look forward to welcoming you back.

Many Thanks

David

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
  • Greek first
england
Reviewed 2 March 2012

My wife and I stayed for two days on a fully inclusive deal we were not disappointed.the service excelant the food excelant the staff fantastic. Kelly was very helpful and great at her job we would return again to this hotel thanks making our stay great

• Stayed February 2012
David C, General Manager at Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel, responded to this review, 2 March 2012
Thank you for your review.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay at the Mercure Hatfield Oak and simply over the moon that you recognised Kelly's efforts to look after you. I know she will be thrilled to read that she has made your stay so enjoyable.

Regards

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Decent hotel with friendly staff. Public areas have been renovated. Bedrooms and corridors are rather tired and could do with some updating.

The showers have THE noisiest pumps in the world - sounded like the hotel was taking off when a neighbour had a shower at 6am

Thank you for your review.

I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at the Mercure Hatfield Oak.

Since being decorated a year ago our corridors have been knocked by succesive suitcases, our maintenance team are in the process of touching up any chipped paintwork - thank you for pointing this out.

I was concerned to read that you found the water pump to be noisy as we are not aware of this problem, if you have the time I would be grateful to know what room you stayed in (or the date and your name) so that we can investigate and remedy this, it will also give the opportunity to review the decor in this room to ensure it meets the high standards we expect all our rooms to meet - my email address is gm@hotels-hatfield.com .

hu10 6as
Reviewed 24 February 2012

having stayed here 4 years ago i was amazed at the transformation rooms clean walls painted overall the hotel improved 100% the staff were very switched on attentive and the meals were good quality i would recommend this once again well done the mercure

Thank you for your review.

Focus Hotels Management took over the hotel three years ago and have invested heavily in the property and the team, I am delighted you like the changes we have made.

Your choice of words to describe your experience is very much in tune with what we are aiming for with Mercure having four behaviours which we aim for teams to exhibit.

These are;

Switched On
Memorable
Friendly and Proffesional and
Passionate

Of course we do not aim to stand still and I hope on your next visit we have further improved, hopefully this will be sooner than your last visit.

David
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hatfield
1.9 km away
2.1 km away
Travelodge Hatfield Central
5.5 km away
Best Western Welwyn Garden City Homestead Court Hotel
Best Western Welwyn Garden City ...
#3 of 5 in Welwyn Garden City
4.2 km away
Holiday Inn Express St. Albans - M25, Jct. 22
6.0 km away
Ardmore House
Ardmore House
#7 of 10 in St Albans

Been to Mercure Hatfield Oak Hotel? Share your experiences!