“Great stay”

The Greenman
Ranked #2 of 2 Restaurants in Fownhope
Price range: USD 13 - USD 50
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Description: You have the hotel listed but not the restraurant, makes it harder to find, also it should have herefordshire in search function otherwise it makes it hard to find.
Reviewed 9 September 2018 via mobile

Stayed here one night , Thursday 6th Sept with my friend whilst on a motorbike tour.

I've stayed here a number of times in the past and the Green man has never disappointed. The rooms were fairly good, but starting to get a bit tired. Beds are very comfortable with top quality linen.

the bar area is traditional, atmospheric and has great beer and fast friendly service. The food in the restaurant was excellent, couldn't fault it. Staff very Friendly and attentive.

Can highly recommend the Green Man and look forward to returning.

Reviewed 8 September 2018 via mobile

This place is not how I remember it. It used to be the place to eat offering delicious food. Now it's just over priced and pretentious. Limited menu for vegetarians. Still a very fine looking building so we were expecting grand things alass we did not receive it.

3  Thank Cyndi M
Reviewed 4 September 2018 via mobile

It was a Sunday night, perhaps it was the chef’s night off? Maybe the staff were exhausted from a busy lunch service? You get the picture. It wasn’t busy but the waitress and barman seemed harassed and forgetful. The food was hit and miss. With some dreadful misses.

The menu sounded exciting and we regretted a big meal out earlier in the day as we decided to forgo a main and stick to starters and desserts. With hindsight I’m glad. My starter pigeon had a slice of nice pink tender bird and a slice of leather, it’s accompanying macha and walnut sponge was oddly sweet. My daughter’s sweet and sour plum tatin had no sour and tasted like pudding, also a “soggy bottom”. My dessert was 90% delicious. The lychee and martini jelly was lovely and the cucumber sorbet, though rather nondescript, fine. The sugared almonds on the menu did not make an appearance on the plate. And the edible flowers... oh dear. Pretty viola, innocuous blue flower of some sort and a GARLIC flower. Thankfully having spotted one on my starter (where it was welcome) I recognised it and only missed one tiny flowerlet- that was strong enough to be really unpleasant. So I wonder, had the chef gone home and left the waiting staff to plate up? My daughters dessert was inedible. White chocolate brûlée. Grainy, greasy and the sugar on top slid off in a skin.

We didn’t complain, we should have but we were tired and there didn’t seem to be anyone with authority to be seen. We wonder if it was just a truly unfortunate night. The setting in the bar is comfortable and I see there are some good reviews... But really not acceptable on this occasion.

6  Thank Silverfinch
Reviewed 24 August 2018

We took the last room here after the hotel we were originally heading for cancelled due to unforeseen problems.
We were greeted like royalty and shown to room 12 which was in renovated cottages across the courtyard from the main building - really nicely done, clean and tidy with a lovely shower room.
The pub itself is many hundreds of years old and the old beams and features make a really cosy and special place to eat and drink. The food was excellent too.
After a really comfortable nights sleep we went for breakfast which again was good.
The only niggles that we had which didn't take away from the overall experience were that the WiFi was very hit and miss in the cottages and really could do with sorting out.
The other thing was poor organisation of staff at breakfast. We came in at 10.10 (breakfast service closes at 10.30) and even though only 3 other tables were occupied we sat for 15 minutes without anyone offering us a menu while a couple of waitresses cleared down previously occupied breakfast tables. Then we had to ask for the juice to be refilled. Then no bread for toast. Then no cutlery, etc you get the picture. We just had to laugh as it did resemble Fawlty Towers at that point This is a management issue to train the younger staff members and needs to be addressed.
However, the rest of our experience at The Greenman was most enjoyable and we will definitely return.

Reviewed 22 August 2018

This is the sort of place that gets booked up for an evening meal. It's in the middle on nowhere so there is little competition. Saying that the service and food are exceptional. My only grip is the price which is a little steep.