“Short menu available at lunch-time”
Review of Redwood Bistro

Redwood Bistro
Ranked #77 of 138 Restaurants in Eastleigh
Price range: USD 0 - USD 15
Description: The Redwood Bistro at Bishopstoke Park isn’t just for our residents. It’s warm and friendly atmosphere with natural daylight provides the perfect setting for relaxed dining and business lunches. The Redwood Bistro has been awarded a celebrated AA Rosette, making it the first ever restaurant within a retirement village in the UK to be recognised by this rating. All our food is cooked to order from both the lunch and dinner menus, so you can relax and take time to enjoy your meal in the Redwood Bistro or weather permitting on our terrace We have an experienced front of house team who pride themselves on their service style, together with a kitchen team that demonstrate seasonal cooking at its best, using the highest quality ingredients. Our dishes are tempting to all palates and are skilfully prepared to leave you feeling comfortably full.
Reviewed 6 March 2018

We visited for lunch on a Wednesday. I always order from the a-la-carte menu because the quality is so good. On this occasion we were informed that none of the
a-la-carte starters were available and only 3 out of 5 of the a-la-carte mains could be ordered. It did not particularly matter to us, since we were looking only for a main course and were happy to order the venison. This is served medium rare, sliced. It is on a bed of finely chopped cabbage in a cream sauce with bacon specks. It is garnished with baby carrots and small scoops of potato. A carrot puree and a meat jus complete the dish. It was as tasty as always but maybe not presented in quite the same 'Michelin standard' way as it has been before. Anyway, the value and service cannot be faulted. I had a 175ml glass of the Chilean cabernet sauvignon house wine, which is delicious and served at the right temperature. I ordered a quince tarte, which consisted of two mille-feuille pastry slices with the fruit in between - not really a tarte, as I see it. We ended with a couple of well-made coffees.

Reviewed 22 February 2018 via mobile

This bistro is amazing value and the food is beautifully presented and very good quality. I invited my granddaughters for lunch on Sunday and they both had roast chicken with roast potatoes and vegetables and pronounced it simply delicious! As children will, they followed it with ice cream, 2 chocolate balls each while I had a cheesecake. I regret not having taken a photo as the decoration looked almost too good to eat! We sat next to the terrace and were lucky enough to have sunshine. It must be super to eat outside in the summer.

Reviewed 17 February 2018

This was the third time I had visited the restaurant and even though the original chef has moved on the quality of the food was still excellent. My Stilton and walnut salad was delicious and the venison main course was cooked to perfection with wonderful accompaniments. My husband had an equally delicious bouillabaisse. The restaurant has never been particularly crowded when we have visited, which is amazing considering the quality of the food.

1  Thank JanetG1808
Reviewed 19 January 2018

We visited with two friends to enjoy the gourmet cooking provided here. The menu does not change much and I ordered two favourites: partridge and then venison loin. I hear that the original much-vaunted chef has left and been replaced by his number-2. We did not notice any difference in the quality of the dishes. The partridge was splendidly succulent and the sliced venison loin (served pink) was magnificent. All the accompaniments were as excellent as before. The minced cabbage in a creamy sauce with tiny piece of bacon was delicious, underlying the venison. At my recommendation, one friend chose the bouillabaisse - four pieces of different seafood, including red mullet, with a crab bisque pourable from a small jug. She greatly enjoyed it. I would advise dining off the a-la-carte menu because the quality is so good. The fixed menu is commendably reasonable (12.50 for two dishes, 14.50 for three) but naturally the frills and quality of the a-la-carte gourmet dishes is not there. Excellent Chilean wines are available at a reasonable charge (£5.90 for 250 ml). The coffee is excellent too. Our waitress was friendly and vivacious. Many thanks to her and the new chef! Booking is essential.

2  Thank BroLucius
Reviewed 10 December 2017 via mobile

We had a lovely eve here, perfect for an early dinner, great service ( Thanks Daniel)
It was very bright to start, but then the lights were turned down and it was great.
Food beautifully presented and delicious .
3 courses £20, 2 courses £15.
Good wine menu and plenty of variety on the menu . So fab to have a great restaurant on the doorstep. Prob suited to couples / friends looking for a low key early dinner ( we booked on line for 6.30 sitting and left at 9.30... when the restaurant was then completely empty...)