“Charming, rustic and fun with Thomas the tank engine!”

The Mid Hants Railway Watercress Line
Ranked #1 of 19 things to do in Alton
More attraction details
Owner description: The Mid Hants Railway, also known as the Watercress Line, operates steam and heritage diesel trains between the picturesque market towns of Alton and Alresford in Hampshire, south west of London. As well as standard travel this preserved railway runs popular special events throughout the year along with Countryman and Watercress Belle dining trains and the Real Ale Train.
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We took our 2.5 year old on Day Out with Thomas on the Watercress line.

I had been before on the Christmas train so knew the type of thing to expect.

Much of it is run by volunteers which is really nice.

Although the experience was muddy which caused them some problems with parking, the day was great!

Plenty of information about train times, a few activities at Ripley which actually made us stay for far longer than I had anticipated.

The magic show with Rusty was great and I was pleasantly surprised my son sat through it at his age, but it certainly also catered for adults so I really enjoyed it.

Food available but areas for picnic and plenty of toilet facilities throughout.

Everyone was happy and in a great mood and more than willing to help or direct you.

It was relaxed and charming and uncomplicated and I would certainly recommend it.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,047)
All reviews
"fat controller"
in 25 reviews
"signal box"

Reviewed 5 April 2018 via mobile

We had a fantastic day even if it was very muddy and raining. Definitely advise to wear wellies for days like this. Parking in Alton was very cheap on weekend we went £2 a whole day they're well welcoming and helpful especially in the shop my son loved talking to all the staff telling them how he enjoyed riding on Thomas and diseal. There was a quite a bit to do like finfair rides , puppet shows , arts and crafts. I would recommend bringing your own food and drink as they where quite pricey for what you get for your money. I would also take cash for food a d drink too. Shops take card though which was conveinant. We all had a lovely day hopefully it will be better weather next time we go.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Even though it was a typical British summers day, the staff wore pleasent smiles and were great fun in the rain. My boys enjoyed all what was laid on but it became very busy from 1400hrs. I initially thought £50 for two adults + child (+ parking) was steep but to see what work is put into running the line then good luck.

Make sure you get there early (at least before 1000hrs) to grab a parking spot in Alresford.

1  Thank beas006
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

Visited the station which was a great setting. Had not booked to travel and it was very busy with a featured weekend. We will return in the coming weeks and book to travel.