“Harvard Towers”
Review of The Harvard Inn

The Harvard Inn
Ranked #4 of 12 Restaurants in Stock
Description: The Harvard Inn is located in the idyllic village of Stock, Essex. is a restaurant and wine bar, with luxury accommodation. Dating back to the 15th Century the building is a central part of the village history, and is full of charming character. Offering a selection of fine wines, alongside seasonal cuisine, The Harvard Inn is suited to a variety of occasions and celebrations. We look forward to welcoming you soon.
Reviewed 6 April 2018

I had booked a table to dine with a business colleague.
It was easy to park.I was warmly welcomed and shown to my table.
The dining room was very attractive.
We waited sometime for a menu and in the end I had to seek out a staff member who had just commenced her shift.The service was slow and unattentive.I thought there was a lack of imagination for vegetarians/vegans.I ordered the vegetable moussaka which resembled a "kiev. Pretty tasteless.I don't know where the aubergines where.
My colleague had chips with her meal, they were shrivelled with discolouration and unedible.The manager?came to discuss the poor quality of them.Talk about inflexible!She several times referred to "her manager" as if she couldn't make a decision.
We were informed we couldn't have a refund but could have a tea/coffee.What happened to customer service?Both were far from our mind as we just wanted to leave.What an experience.
We certainly would not recommend this establishment nor go back

It was disappointing

2  Thank carolf842

Reviewed 2 April 2018 via mobile

A very disappointing experience for our family Easter Sunday lunch. We waited 40 minutes for our pre-booked table, with very little communication from the staff as to the delay. Once seated, we put our starter order in straight away to get the ball rolling and then waited a further 25 minutes for it to arrive. Despite the wait, the starter (Havard Platter) was very good. Unfortunately, after this we waited another 40 minutes to then receive our very poor standard mains. It appeared quantity of covers was more important than quality of food. Despite providing feedback of our experience several times, it became quite clear that the manager was really not interested. Outstanding service from the waiting staff and good selection behind the bar but unfortunately, due to the complete absence of customer service from the manager, we will not be returning to this restaurant.

1  Thank Lian Marie S
lisacronly-dillon, General Manager at The Harvard Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 16 April 2018

Dear Lian Marie S

I am sorry to hear that you were unhappy with your visit to The Harvard Inn on Easter Sunday. As you are probably aware that Easter Sunday is one of the busiest times of the year for restaurants all over the country with families, friends and couples all going our for lunch to catch up and generally have a nice relaxing time. You are correct that your table was pre booked and I asked a member of staff to tell you that your table was ready twice as you were enjoying a drink at the bar. I understand that you think 25 minutes to wait for starters to arrive is a little long but all of our food is cooked to order and considering that The Platter consists of Chicken Kebabs,Steak, Scotch Egg etc this does take a little while to cook. Your mains took 40 minutes for a table of 7 people and cooked to order. You were at your table for approximately two hours for drinks, starters and main courses for 7 people. For a table of this size I normally allocate a 3 hour slot. I did speak to you on two occasions and tried to explain that we do cook everything to order (not out of a frozen package or already pre cooked) but you were constantly comparing us to other establishments that you have been to before. We are not other establishments and I am sorry that you will not be returning to The Harvard Inn

Reviewed 28 March 2018

Have eaten breakfast a number of times at the Harvard and enjoyed what I ordered, vegetarian cooked breakfast, sausage sandwiches. However the menu was changed late last year and now has little provision for those who do not eat meat or dairy.

I had hoped this would change but visiting again last week the menu was the same so my friend and I could only join another friend for breakfast with just a coffee! Such an over sight for what it is generally lovely place to eat.

lisacronly-dillon, General Manager at The Harvard Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2018

Dear Maria H,

So sorry to hear that you did not enjoy coming to The Harvard for breakfast and felt that we did not have a good selection for vegetarian and vegan diets.
On our Menu there is Flat Field Mushrooms, Oven roasted Plum Tomatoes, Vegetable Bubble and Squeak, Sweet Potato Hash, a selection of 5 cereals and finally Toast (G/F option also) and jams, marmalades and Marmite.

Because our breakfasts are made to order you can order any of the above to suit your needs. If you feel that the above are not suitable for you, please can you let us know what you would like to see on a menu for vegetarians for breakfast. As for a vegan option, most of the above would be suitable but if you know when you are coming then perhaps when booking you could possible inform us and we will be happy to accommodate.

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

We stayed for one night for a wedding nearby. The room was beautiful and spacious. We would defintely stay again. Breakfast was tasty but there were not enough staff and we waited a long time to be served. The waitress told us the table was needed soon so that they could prepare it for mothers day lunch but failed to notice we hadn't ordered our breakfast yet. If service at breakfast was improved then this would have been a 5 star review.

Reviewed 8 March 2018 via mobile

Booked this little gem for one night stay, the room was clean comfortable and cosy, the staff were very friendy and the breakfast was amazing, especially the home made sausages.
I would thoroughly recommend this hotel.

lisacronly-dillon, General Manager at The Harvard Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2018

Dear Les B

Thank you for your lovely review. We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that you come back and visit us again.