“Great Pub”

Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018

This wasn't the first time I've dined at the Generals Arms but it was the first time I'd taken a large group (13 ladies) for lunch. I thought it was a brilliant idea that when pre ordering I gave names so that on purchasing first drink on arrival the ladies paid for their food as well. We were made very welcome by the staff and it was lovely to find an open fire waiting for us on a bright but chilly day. The food was very good and so was the atmosphere.
I only wish I'd found out the names of the staff. Thank you for making our lunch special - we'll be back!

Newshoes7, Owner at The Generals Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2018

Thank you for the comments we are glad you enjoyed your lunch. You were waiting on by Nathan, Julie cooked the food and Gary the landlord was here

Reviewed 23 January 2018 via mobile

This pub is in a great location and could offer so much more. The landlords clearly don’t want to be there and are not at all interested in customer service, they spend most of their time chatting to their mates and close the bar whenever they feel like it.

I have been here a few times because of the location but have now given up on it as there are better pubs a short drive away.

This is just my personal opinion, but I see the majority of reviewers also rate it as terrible.

2  Thank regularbusinessguy
Reviewed 27 November 2017 via mobile

Stopped here a few weekends ago was delighted to see they done roast dinners. The beef was cooked perfectly, the portion sizes were just right and when we asked for extra gravy and vegetables they more then happily brought more to the table. All the staff were very friendly and the atmosphere was great. One thing I would change is the lighting as it is pretty dark in some areas other than that we will definitely be returning

2  Thank piggy_x
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 9 November 2017 via mobile

I heard good reviews about this pub and the food but in my experience they couldn’t be more wrong. The beer was more London price and the food is more like school dinners or microwave food with no flavour and very bland. Only advice I’ll give is get a chef and get shot of the cook.

1  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 4 October 2017

Stopped here for quick lunch break. Windows were being cleaned and the internal decorated. However it is a very large establishment with plenty of seating. There has been criticism of the host but we found him to be pleasant and great to converse with!
We ordered homemade vegetable soup with buttered toasted chunky bread, followed by a shared sea food board consisting of battered whitebait, calamari, prawn, fish with sweet chilie dip and mayonnaise. This we found to be excellent and satisfying for lunch.
There is a great menu with steaks and other choices. We would certainly return and I would imagine it would be cosy with the wood burner and open fires when it gets colder!
Looking forward to the next time. Thanks.

1  Thank THEESSEXPAIR
Newshoes7, Owner at The Generals Arms, responded to this reviewResponded 5 October 2017

Hope to see you again