“Awful! 40mmins wait, no service had to walk out!”
Review of Miller & Carter

Miller & Carter
Ranked #47 of 399 Restaurants in Chelmsford
Price range: USD 13 - USD 46
Cuisines: Steakhouse
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

We decided to visit this place without reservation. Tuesday afternoon shouldn't be busy, and it wasn't at all. The waitress offered table for two in the most awkward corneron the main " runway" so each time someone was passing my skinny parter had to move?! The place was empty... Never mind, the menu was sticky from the spilled drinks over it. Not impressed, but as we were already there, and the menu looked attractive.
Well, we sat next to group of few people who came after us( a while after us) we weren't offered drinks or starters.Took a while, thought " they might be busy..." We looked on time, and thought "well half an hour should be enough to take order of drinks?", and then the waitress comes to those people who came much later than us!!! They just forgot about us or what?!?!
I'm sorry, but it's horrible to go to eat put and be ignored! Quicker to cook home!
SO WE GOT UP AND WALKED OUT!!! that was possibly about 40 min since we got there!!
The waitresses looked amused, or surprised?! The waitress next to us serving those people and one of them ( the waitress who sat us at the table, as we walked back near the reception looked surprised!)

Its dreadful, is it normal ocurance that people walk out of this place?!?! Or they are such a "snobby" " restaurant" to even come over and politely say " I'm sorry we are running late, please bear with us" or anything to acknowledge?!?!
I never ever had to leave the place!!
Imagine customer service should be on a higher standard
I wouldn't recommend this place. And don't plan to go there again!

General Manager A, Owner at Miller & Carter, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2018

Hi Marta,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us with your valued feedback.

Please contact a member of the management team on 01245 495336 should you wish to discuss any further.

Many Thanks,

Melanie

Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

We chose here to finish our trilogy of eating out over the bank holiday weekend and we were looking forward to the steak. I chose the T bone and asked for medium and my wife had the ribeye grain fed. My wife had a lovely steak but I was served a ribeye and I was willing to accept that although when I cut into it the entire cut was brown throughout and well done so I asked for the right cut and correct cook. To be fair they asked whether my wife would like hers cooked fresh but we opted for the low fuss and ‘just get on with it’ option. My steak arrived with the floor manager asking me to cut into it to check and it did look a little rarer than medium but I said ok. I was expecting one side of the T bone to be medium but got one side rare and one medium rare. As I don’t mind rare I ‘just got on with it’ but once finished I did feel it was important to let the waitress know that the chef had clearly overcompensated under pressure and they should just check in future. So the waitress comp’d the steak. I would say the waitress was very understanding and dealt with the situation very well, I am not so sure I liked the way the floor manager approached me and her tone wasn’t particularly friendly. We all get busy and all make mistakes but in a steak house I would expect at the very least to get the right steak cooked the right way. Sorry guys but it’s a 2 star, I thought about 3 but that’s classed as average and mistakes like that are below average. Perhaps the chef had just had a tough weekend and let’s just hope it was a blip.

3  Thank Steve F
General Manager A, Manager at Miller & Carter, responded to this reviewResponded 21 April 2018

Hi Steve,

Please accept my sincerest apologies in the delay of responding to your much appreciated feedback.

I've have relayed your comments to our kitchen manager to ensure that it was an isolated incident and we have discussed with the management which on duty on the evening of your visit.

Many Thanks

Mel & Team

Reviewed 2 April 2018

This was my second visit to Miller & Carter. The quality and flavor of the food did not disappoint. And I was pleased that the menu was extensive enough to allow me to choose a different option than I did on my previous visit six weeks prior (I’m a picky eater). I opted for nachos for my starter and I added beef. But I might as well have just had nachos without beef because the beef portion was so small it barely touched a quarter of the nachos. I felt cheated. The main was lovely although I can’t remember the name but the chocolate brownie for dessert was the absolute star of the show! Despite the poor cocktails on my first visit and the practically non-existent beef on the nachos on my second visit, I’d still return.

General Manager A, Manager at Miller & Carter, responded to this reviewResponded 17 April 2018

Georgie C, your wonderful feedback and rating mean a lot to us.
We hope to be of service to you again in the future.
Best wishes,
Miller & Carter Chelmsford

Reviewed 1 April 2018

We went for the first time for an evening meal. as a couple. We were allotted a table upstairs but asked if we could have one downstairs which was no trouble and very impressed with design and decor. Very open but didn't feel like you were eating in a barn! Great ambience, not too dark, not too bright, no over loud music in background not noisy, it felt like an individual restaurant and not a chain restaurant. The waitress Faye was excellent, she made the w hole experience to be honest, very friendly, nothing too much trouble. For starters we ordered chicken wings which we were eating with our fingers and she must have spotted this because suddenly two finger bowls and napkins appeared...very attentive and such a nice touch. Made to feel very welcome and nost just another two customers. The steaks were cooked just right and the whole meal was delicious. Good amount of choice on menu. The chocolate brownie was lovely too. I was delighted with the whole experience and would definitely go again.

General Manager A, Manager at Miller & Carter, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2018

Essexmusicfan,

thank you for your kind review; we are happy to pass along your comments to the team here at Miller & Carter Chelmsford!

We always strive to provide top quality service to every guest, and are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience here at Miller & Carter Chelmsford!

We hope you have a great day!

Reviewed 27 March 2018 via mobile

It is quite apparent that when raising an issue with a member of management at Miller & Carter, the primary excuse will always be “We don’t make this on site, a third party makes this for us”

So it seems almost unfathomable that I found a hair curled into my butter which was slowly defrosting (can you not even defrost these things before serving?) on the most greasy chicken schnitzel I have ever come across in my life.

What do you actually make “on site” M&C? If your chefs aren’t capable of cooking a schnitzel then you must be reheating everything on your menu from a packet so I can only suggest applying for Gordon Ramsey’s Kitchen Nightmares in order to revamp your microwave meals and actually increase your custom in the area.

Food had been swept onto the floor and remained on the floor during our visit, calamari had been fried until dark brown with no real flavour, wine glasses were not removed from our table when seated and our food had been served on chipped dinner plates.

When our greasy schnitzels were served on a bed of unseasoned oven chips, this truly was the breaking point which made us lose our appetites and whilst the waiters and one member of management could not have been more understanding, this disastrous lunch was unfortunately the final straw and will mean that we will not be returning to M&C again until basic food hygiene standards and cooking skills can be improved.

5  Thank CarrieLoh