“Impromptu unpaid bill”

Cuisines: British, Pub
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 4 April 2018

I ve been visiting the denbigh on an almost daily basis for the past 3 months and really enjoyed it there even though the service is incompetent by seemingly untrained staff yet they re friendly and I accepted it as we all have to start somewhere. Last night we had a meal there once again and our table was approached by a gentleman with a bulldozer attitude throwing a bill on the table stating " you have an unpaid bill from friday" No hello excuse me pardon me or anything resembling decency and manners. I queried this and stated we ve never left here before without settling any bill be it cash or card and adding generous tips with every payment. Recollecting the horrific experience and the manner with which it was handled . The penny dropped. We were overcharged on that friday and we queried the bill before paying. A new bill was issued which we settled. The old double charged bill obviously wasn t cancelled and placed into the till as owing. Won t be going there ever again . The gentleman who approached us obviously was the landlord with no tact or manners accusing us of not paying a bill in front of everybody. My advice to him would be learn some manners and approach sensitive matters with more tact than your present bombastic way. Next time call somebody aside to talk to them. To let everyone know our bill last night was £32 and I rounded it off to £60 with the gratuity. For a £22 "unpaid" bill the denbigh has lost customers that have spent near enough to £1000.00 in meals and drinks there over the last 3 months

3  Thank Duncan H
manager d, Manager at The Denbigh, responded to this reviewResponded 11 June 2018

Dear Sir, I am sorry to hear that there has been a misunderstanding on your bill and the way that it has been handled. I do recall this incident and no way did we intend to offend you. When you had finished your meal we merely enquired if there was a misunderstanding on our part from a last visit you had. The gentleman in question assured me that he approached you politely and in fact started with an apology. Indeed I have new and untrained staff but we always maintained a friendly approached at every opportunity and do our best to be skilled and experienced as quickly as reasonably possible. I actually recall the uncleared bill because I was the intial person who served your table and I also knew you that you have become regular customers in the 3 months you stated. I was the person who made your drinks as it was your son who made the order at the Bar. He gave me the go ahead to put it on a tab as he told me his Dad will pay later and will be eating at some point. Since I recognised your son and knew of you I did not think twice and indeed created the tab. It is with regret that the circumstances have left you disillusioned about The Denbigh and consequently stopped coming back to us. Again, I apologised on behalf of my landlord and my team for any misunderstanding and ill feelings we may have caused.

Reviewed 1 April 2018 via mobile

Had an impromptu mid week lunch some time ago with a work colleague as the sign outside caught our eyes. Sat out in the garden in the sunshine and had a few beers and two dozen oysters. Fantastic and fresh. Didn't bother going back to work lol!!

Thank you for your lovely feedback and hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 26 March 2018

Visited the Denbigh with a friend. Had a meal in the restaurant area. Staff were friendly and helpful. The pub was busy and had a lovely atmosphere. I had a vegetarian main which was delicious. My friend had a plentiful duck salad. My sticky toffee pudding was exceedingly good. Highly recommended for both food and a great place to have a drink.

manager d, Manager at The Denbigh, responded to this reviewResponded 28 March 2018

Thank you for your lovely feedback and shall share your review with the rest of my team. See you again soon

Reviewed 26 March 2018

We live locally and booked in for an early evening Sunday roast as a treat. The area we were seated in was extremely hot as the wood burner was on unnecessarily. Our food and drink orders were taken. I do not eat meat so had a limited choice but requested the nut roast - my husband and father-in-law both ordered roast beef. A full 30 minutes later, one of the young waiting staff came to say neither the nut roast or nut burger were available - he said they are the same thing. Why did it take so long to discover this?! There are no other vegetarian options on the menu so I asked for fish pie. I was given the choice if the standard fish pie or a ‘special’ salmon & broccoli. I asked for the standard one and we all waited a while longer for our food. When it finally came, I had been given salmon & broccoli but was too hungry and fed up to send it back - perhaps the chef thought I wouldn’t notice my food was not what I ordered. The roast beef dinners were apparently very nice. The waitress asked if we would like dessert and we said yes, so she brought dessert menus then disappeared. From then, no one then seemed to be aware of our presence at all. We waited about half an hour then gave up and decided to abandon our ‘treat’, went to the bar to pay the bill and left. The one course we had was fine but the young waiting staff seemed completely clueless and untrained, and the choice for non meat eaters is poor, such a shame.

1  Thank BarberC

Thank you for taking the time to let us know your feedback. Please accept my sincere apologies for the disappointment. With regards to the number of issues you have mentioned, I have already addressed these matters to the respective parties so that we may be able to move forward and avoid recurrences. Our menu do offer many alternatives and it is with regret that we have failed to put this across. We had Pie Week on the night of your visit and the vegetarian option for this was our Roasted Butternut Squash and Pepper Tart served with a choice of potatoes, vegetables and salad. We also had our Daily Specials featuring the Feta & Olive Salad or Grilled Goat Cheese infused with thyme, garlic and honey all served with warm ciabatta bread. Not forgetting our a la carte menu where all our other fish options were available too. Again, it is with sincere apologies and would like to assure you that we take all our feedback seriously and will endeavour to exceed expectations.

Reviewed 12 March 2018 via mobile

Had a 60th birthday party meal here and we all had a great time. Staff were very friendly and accommodating. Place looks nice plenty of parking reasonably prices drinks. Only two negative comments plates weren't cleared quick enough pudding came out and we all had our main plates still...also toilet paper is VERY thin. Would return for drinks and a meal.

Thank you for taking the time to review our pub. We take all feedback seriously and will take into considerations the two matters mentioned.