“Lovely afternoon tea”
Review of Nine Jars Bistro

Nine Jars Bistro
Ranked #2 of 55 Restaurants in Haverhill
Price range: USD 4 - USD 32
Description: Nine Jars Bistro specialises in small plates that pair perfectly with our beer, wine, cocktails and Illy Coffee. With a separate dining area and cocktail lounge, Nine Jars has something for everyone!
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Having made two reservations and having to cancel through unforeseen circumstances, we finally got to The Nine Jars. Saw on their website they did afternoon tea which I wanted to book for hubby. So pleased I did.
Food was delicious. Lovely sandwiches (different breads which made it better) nice size scones with the essential clotted cream and beautiful cakes and petit four. The brownies were amazing and made on site by the chef. We had prosecco and for two it was £29.95. This is a great competitive price.
The atmosphere was prefect. Busy Friday afternoon and most tables occupied. Nice buzz in the place.
Staff were good, attentive and friendly.
We usually go to Long Melford or Lavenham for afternoon tea but with Nine Jars on our doorstep I will definitely go back.
Treat yourself and enjoy a beautifully presented and delicious afternoon tea here - you won’t be disappointed.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago via mobile

Couldn’t believe my luck today. Walked into this Tardis of a restaurant which looked nice from outside but boy didn’t open up inside. A very polite man showed me to my table for one. I ordered coffee and a panini. Well, I was amazed at what was served up. Not only was the panini nice and fresh (Bacon & Brie) the salad was nice and crisp and the chips.........they were stunning. What a lunch.
Genuinely great place to visit if you’re in the area. Oh, and the price, well I was shocked. Less than half the price you’d pay in London. Unbelievable. Thank you Nine Jars, I really enjoyed it.

James P, Manager at Nine Jars Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 4 weeks ago

Hi Paul,

It was a pleasure to meet you yesterday. I'm so pleased to hear how much you loved Nine Jars! We have worked hard over the last 2 years to create something, we feel, is rather unique.

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 5 weeks ago

The checkin was smooth but I was almost rendered unconscious by the horrendous smell of bleach in the bar / kitchen area. The young guy was enthusiastic & efficienct showing me the room and pointing out it’s features. The room was spacious and nicely furnished with crisp clean bed linen. The Nepresso machine is an added feature for coffee lovers but as a tea drinker a kettle would have been helpful too as I dont like semi hot water for tea which also included a few coffee granules.
The bathroom was spacious with a rain shower but care & attention needed from cleaning staff as soon it will be full of scum & scale ( it was heading that way) & floor not clean. Noise from the bar music is very disturbing in room 8 which overlooks the main road & side window (the smoking /drinking area.)I chose not to take up the offer from the sales leaflet in the room for the Simba mattress on the bed as foam mattresses do not aid a cool comfortable nights sleep.
An alternative venue for the evening meal was chosen as £14 for a burger in their diner was not within the budget.
Breakfast was an absolute debacle. The young girl on reception/cooking /waitressing & general duties was sinking fast. A big queue of businessmen were trying to check out & exit double locked & bolted doors much to their frustration.
It took 45 mins to get breakfast which was sent back due to ‘grey’ coloured scrambled eggs. I declined a further offer. I would happily have eaten pastries breads fruits & yogurts cold meats & cheese but there were non to be had. The buffet table consisted of 3 aged wizened oranges a couple of cinnamon pastries a few boxes of variety pack little fresh milk a near empty jug of apple juice.There were 3 grubby jars of dried fruit & granola & ok if blackcurrant Jam was your thing as no other flavous available along with a near empty pot of coffee. When requesting a pot of tea I was told to make my own with unwrapped tea bags presented in a tea cup & the glass jug of off the boil water on top of the coffee machine. When asked why no tea pots -the waitress replied she just ‘does as she’s told’ There was no breakfast menu as such when requested -given a general menu with a breakfast on it that could include chips!
By now it was 9 am I was late for my meeting but then had to face the frustration of finding somebody to unlock the doors to let me out.
There seemed no one in charge to discuss these issues with.

James P, Manager at Nine Jars Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 5 weeks ago

Hi Jerry,

Sorry to see this. We usually receive rave reviews about our hotel, so I will certainly be looking into the issues you have raised.

I'm pleased to hear you found the service when you arrived helpful and efficient. Unfortunately mattress choice is down to personal preference, and most people love the Simba ones.

Obviously our prices do reflect the quality of produce we use, however there are cheaper options on the evening menu with our cheapest burger coming in at £10 and our cheapest dish is £9, so I'm sorry to hear you chose to dine somewhere else as I'm sure you would not have been disappointed.

In terms of exiting the building I must point out that our hotel access is at the rear of the building, whilst we are happy for guests to exit onto the High Street we do need to keep these locked as we do not open to the general public until 10am.

We do offer a 'help your self' continental buffet as our breakfast option which is stated on all the sites we take bookings from. And this does include filtered Illy coffee and tea. We have never had anyone complain about the help yourself tea and coffee before as it offers a quick system for people that need to get away in the morning. I will definitely look into this.

I'm a little confused about your comment where you say there is no breakfast menu, after which you go on to say you looked at the breakfast menu. We offer the choice between hash browns or chips on our breakfast, as well as offering dishes such as Sausage Sandwich, a Breakfast Quesadilla, Eggs Benedict and Eggs and Avocado as well as many others. Most guest are always more than happy with these options, but as always suggestions are welcome.

If you could advise me on when it was you stayed, as I can't seem to see a booking for your name in room 8, and I will of course be sure to look into all of the issues you raised as we pride ourselves, as you will see from many of our other reviews on service and quality.

Reviewed 16 October 2018 via mobile

We had the fish and chips for £5 on the Friday - very nice and a very decent sized portion, batter was delicious. We were so impressed we returned on the Sunday for the roast which was equally delicious. Very attentive staff, friendly and helpful. It was a shame both visits the restaurant was so quiet as I’m sure it must have a buzzing atmosphere when busy but cannot fault the restaurant, waitress or food and look forward to visiting again.

James P, Manager at Nine Jars Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2018

Thanks for the fantastic review! So pleased to hear you love coming to Nine Jars! We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 14 October 2018

I stayed at the hotel and decided to work a bit in the restaurant and had dinner. They were very busy but I waited patiently as I had works to do anyway. Service was friendly but definitely slow.. Had the surf&turf burger which was good. But the onion rings were too oily.

Hi Jonathan,

Thanks for leaving a review. Sorry to hear you found the service slow. I will certainly speak to the team about ensuring they are prompt in taking orders.

I'm pleased to hear you enjoyed your burger.

We hope to see you again.