“Fantastic Holiday”

Ranked #39 of 171 Hotels in Hersonissos
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Holiday”
Reviewed 29 September 2011

We have just come back from a week here and had a lovely time.
.The food was excellent even for our 6 year old son,The rooms were basic but spotless,The entertainment was fabulous.The animation team work so hard. ...Yes the majority were Germans but they were all polite enough.It was lovely and the staff are great.And in a beautiful location...We didnt want to come home....
Those that had written bad reviews...Are you sure you stayed in the same place?

Room Tip: Book a family room with a sea view...Its worth the extra money
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
10 Thank 190cat

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
leeds
Reviewed 29 September 2011

Just returned from a week at the Royal Belvedere, we had read the reviews but as always went with an open mind.

Travelled with a 3 year old and we were overall impressed with this hotel.

The restaurant had fab views over the hotel grounds and out to the sea, not mentioned in any reviews we had previously read, but worth a mention. The food was good, plenty of choice, it was busy in the restaurant, however we did eat early due to having a toddler with us.

The ground were very neat and tidy and hotel communial areas were also spotless. We had a family room and requested a sea view and a lower level room which is exactly what we got. The rooms were cleaned daily and bedding changed every other day - again no complaints.

The evening entertainment was provided by the hotel, rather than our operator, Thomas Cook, we really enjoyed the shows and our son really enjoyed the mini disco. Yes, the shows were not professional, it was aferall the reps producing and taking part in them, however we really enjoyed them.

We had a great weeks holiday, the hotels guests were a mix of English, German, Russian and Belguim familiies which to us is part of being aboard.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
13 Thank igglepiggleLeeds
Leicester
Reviewed 27 September 2011

I think that dependent on a couple of things determines on whether you have a great holiday or not. The first is the price. If you have managed to grab a weeks all-inclusive for between £350 and £450 you haven't got much to be worried about. Secondly, I feel it also depends on room allocation. If your lucky enough to get a room like ours with a nice sea view in a cool location you'll be laughing (ours was room 9003). Otherwise you could end up in one thats not so great (but in all fairness thats like every hotel i've ever come accross). We dropped people off to their hotels that were the same price on teletext and were very pleased we ended up in the one we did.

Hotel itself:
The Royal is almost attached to it's sister the Imperial and feels like one hotel complex. The Imperial is much newer than the Royal but that said the Royal is a reasonably good looking hotel in her own right. The hotels, grounds and pools are very clean and well maintained. I think it's around 5 or six pools you can opt for although we used the one at the bottom of the Royal as it was easy to get beds and close to our room. You have to pay for cushions for the loungers (which weren't that clean) so we bought some lilos which turned out to be a great idea. NB: Both these hotels are based on a hill and although it was not a problem for us and offered us great views, it did leave us looking at each other and promising ourselves to cut the cigarettes down.

Rooms:
Can only really speak for my own, but it was cleaned very well each day and towels and sheets were never an issue. I had 2 singe beds and a double bed which led onto the balcony and gave a great view of the sea. Everything worked well including hairdrier, shower and air-conditioning. Have fridges but no kettles.

Food and drink:
Used both the imperial and Royal to eat and drink as it really does seem like they are the same hotel. Some of the food was a bit weired (even by Russian and German Standards) but you could always find something to eat, Soups were good, fresh bread, large salad selections, rice, vegetables, meats, fish, fresh fruit desserts, the usual chips etc etc were available daily and as i've said you could always find something to eat, although I guess 2 weeks of it and it could all prove a touch samey samey. Alcohol is what it is... local greek brew. Don't expect branded drinks regardless of what colour your wrist bands is or what your brouchure told you. general rule of Thumb, 5-6 euros bottle of stella, 5-6 euros Gordons/J&B/Bacardi. Before you all start crying, if you drink enough of theirs and have a few raki's it does the trick.

Overview:
Nice hotel, good location, pleasant staff, worth the £400 we paid. Had no problem with other guests regardless of nationallity. nice place to relax....promise!

Important:
One thing I will say guys and that is.. Find out who your flying with! We were told Monarch or Thompson when I booked it originally but ended up with some awful airline called SKY WINGS. This lot make Ryan Air look like embassadors of the sky. Their planes are woeful and they relentlessly delayed by many hours if not days. I really cant express how bad these clowns are or how bad their planes are, but please believe me when I say they suck!

Room Tip: If you have mobillity problems ask for a room in the hotel. if not my room was perfectly ok. rooms i...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
20 Thank RicardoBlue11
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
Reviewed 20 September 2011

What can I say? No in-room internet (on a working vacation -- so I'm out in the lobby where the only internet available is slow), terrible food at a buffet only, and a clump of food surrounded by ants directly outside my hotel room (which has a broken handle on the sliding glass door and linoleum pieces missing from the cheap furniture). Truly a horrible experience. The hotel staff is not helpful--and in fact the woman at the front desk is quite rude--to add insult to injury. Surely there must be better choices in the area. I would strongly suggest steering clear of this on.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled on business
6 Thank Another_travelgeek
Belvederehotels, General Manager at Royal Belvedere, responded to this review, 23 September 2011
Dear Christine,
First I would like to thank you for choosing our hotel for your stay.
I feel sad for not managing to satisfy your wishes during your stay. Even though I personally offered you my office for your working needs, even though I called the hotel where the conference was held to help you find another room, unsuccessfully as they didn't have internet connection in the rooms, I believe I tried my best to let you pleased.
I wish you all the best and good luck in your life.
Thank you once again.
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Imperial hotel is superb but the royal was not 4 star. I would give it a low 3. Food was ok but facilities were a big let down and watch out if have children cos they dont cater very well for them. A drain got blocked and poo was everywhere by the childrens pool where little children were walking, it was everywhere and they didnt clean it up. None of the pools were cleaned while we were there for 2 weeks. Crete was lovely and there are so msny beautiful hotels there but the royal belverdere is not one of them.

• Stayed September 2011