All reviews old world charm ward's lake state convention raj era meghalaya tourism oldest hotel pine trees ward lake open space colonial style the cottages modern amenities parking space food is excellent police bazar stayed for nights the heart of the city
Reviewed 6 June 2009

I had stayed in Hotel Pinewood Shillong from 25 th to 28 th May 2009.

I was in a business trip along with my colleagues who stayed with me in the same hotel.

Though business trips are mostly tiring, but I/we never felt that way simply because of my/our stay in this particular hotel.

The hotel is located on a hilltop overlooking green slope full of unknown varity of flowers.The rooms are independent with fireplace and excellent decor.

The conference hall, where we held business meetings, had all audio visual gadgets, dias, sitting arrangements meeting our requirements.

The quality of food served was excellent with wide choice.The service was promt.The staff very friendly and always eager to make our stay as comfortable as possible.

Our stay was excellent and I will always look forward to put up in this hotel during my future travel/stay in Shillong.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 May 2009

Property is one of the oldest in Shillong and is managed by the Government. However, its quite vast and is very centrally located in a peaceful environment.

It is bang opposite a beautiful lake having joggers track. The rooms are old but very spacious.

One should stay in a super deluxe cottage room as it very spacious with separate dining area. Much better than ordinary execuitve or deluxe room.

Most of the facilities were not working, for. eg. billiards room, etc.

it seemed to be little pricy but overall enjoyed the stay.

Food quality was amazing and one should definitely try Indian butter Naan (bread).

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 May 2009

We stayed at the pinewood for 4 nights and really enjoyed the resort thoroughly. Its a beautifully maintained resort at a quiet location. Not too far from the city centre. We had booked 2 rooms - super deluxe & deluxe, and found both to be good. The room sizes are big. Though the quality of rooms are not that good but the greenery around makes up for it. The food was delicious and room service was also good. We were with kids so the option of staying in the resort was better than a hotel, since we got open space for kids to roam around. Lobby etc. are also nicely done. overall a good place to stay if with family.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 5 May 2009

Old hotel .Having fire place .Cottage like rooms with most of the modern facilities available.Food horrible.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 February 2009

The outside of the Pinewood is impressive, as previous reviewers have mentioned, it is evocative of the Raj and well-cared-for. The rooms and public spaces are less welcoming. The room was huge but very much in need of an update - it was gloomy and tired-looking. Lighting was poor and the facilities were basic - and this is not a cheap place to stay. Staff were generally OK although clear communication not their forte!
To top it off, I was asked to vacate my room haltway through the stay ( and at very short notice) and relocate to an inferior room (with no secure latch!) because the Governor was in town. Until this was queried, no reduction in price was offered and I was not best pleased. The interior at the Hotel desperately needs a facelift as this would then match the good first impressions from the general location and the overall style of the outside. At the moment, it is a disappointing experience - plus points are the food and the quiet setting but the rest is a let-down.

• Stayed: October 2008, travelled solo