“Excellent chai & scones”
Review of Zencha Tea Salon

Zencha Tea Salon
Ranked #37 of 77 Coffee & Tea in Columbus
Cuisines: Asian
Reviewed 7 November 2014 via mobile

A friend and I stopped here after brunch one Sunday. The ambiance is nice and the service good. We each got a pot of tea and shared the 3 scone plate. Everything was delicious. I am very picky about my chai and this was one of the best I have ever had. I highly recommend it!

Reviewed 20 August 2014

This was my first visit to ZenCha in Bexley and it might be my last, based on the service and food. On the plus side, their tea menu is very extensive, with a wide variety of teas from England, China, Thailand, Japan, Germany, and even Africa...and I may have missed a country or two! They also have a large menu of tea-based drinks that they create themselves. My tea was very good, but it took 30 minutes to actually have it brought to the table...and I ordered a non-specialized black tea. Seriously. I was getting ready to ask if they had forgotten my tea order. I needed some sweetener, so when she brought the tea out, I asked if I could get some and it was never delivered. Good thing I carry Sweet-n-Low in my purse. <sigh> I don't know why they don't keep the containers on the tables. But wait, it gets better <tongue in cheek>.

I placed my order from their brunch menu, which consisted of the Egg in a Basket. It's two eggs cooked inside a hole made in two pieces of wheat bread, served with a side of bacon and a potato hash mix. I asked for my eggs to be over-easy and the bacon to be turkey bacon. I placed my order at the same time as my tablemates (about 4 other people). The orders were delivered about 35 to 40 minutes later. Again, seriously? How long does it take to make some pancakes, some waffles, and a bowl of soup? However, MY order wasn't among those delivered. We figured it was on its way, but after 15 additional minutes, my husband got up to try to find a server to inquire about the order. It seems they "lost" it. Not sure how that happened since it was with hubbys, but okay. So, the order was "rushed" out about 10 minutes later and was horrible! The eggs were cooked so hard that they were the consistency of hard-boiled eggs (I'm NOT exaggerating). The turkey bacon was not cooked through, and the potato hash, while cooked, was cold, so it was obviously sitting back in a container, thrown on the grill for a couple of minutes, and then put on the plate. Due to a stomach issue, I can't eat foods that are too dry (hence my "over-easy" egg order), so even though I tried, I was unable to eat the eggs, and the bacon and potatoes were just disgusting. A server never came back to see if everything was ok...for any of our meals. The food dishes were never cleared away, nor were we asked if we wanted to order additional tea. When the bill was delivered (interesting how they managed to come back around for that!), they did give me 50% off my meal, but seriously, with all of these problems, the food portion should have been completely written off. A manager also never visited to discuss the matter or to apologize.

And finally, the sink/water in the woman's restroom didn't work. They had a sign up apologizing and telling you to reach under the sink and turn the water knobs on to use the water, so I tried that. You have to bend way down and reach way up into the dark to find the knobs, and then water shoots out of a leak from another part of the water hose serving the spigot. The other option was to use hand sanitizer. The toilet wobbled and the restroom had a horrible sour stench to it; however, everything seemed to be clean and the toilet paper was well stocked.

As I said, I don't know if I'll go back. My friends really enjoyed the different drinks and teas, so if I go with them again, I'll only get a drink and maybe bring my own food. All-in-all, it was a very disappointing and bad experience all around. Such a shame.

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Respite from rain and
mass predictability.
Oh, green tea cheesecake!

No loathsome clatter,
no birthday songs, no prattle,
just the brew of tea.

Reviewed 23 March 2014

This place is overpriced and the quality is mediocre at best. Ask for a drink without ice or milk, and they will only fill it halfway, because "that's all the tea that you are paying for" (a staff member literally said this to me). Meanwhile at every other tea or coffee shop in the country, you are politely asked whether they should leave room for milk, etc.

Stingy staff, overpriced drinks.

Reviewed 23 July 2013

I always enjoy my tea at ZenCha, though the over-priced food is mediocre at best, and leaves much to be desired. The waitstaff is overly casual and often seems to not really care to be there. It's a nice place to go and loiter over a pot of tea while letting it over-brew before you can get to the rest, but that's about it.