“A Joy to Dine There”

Cuisines: Hungarian, Eastern European, Central European
Good for: View, Child-friendly, Romantic
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 26 October 2018

My husband and I were thrilled to find this wonderful Hungarian restaurant during our visit to Cleveland. My heritage is Hungarian and I have memories of growing up eating wonderful Hungarian cuisine cooked lovingly by my mother. Eating at Balaton was really a treat. When we entered the restaurant we felt like we were in Hungary as the decor was done in a Hungarian motif. We were greeted by Louis, the owner who showed us to our table. We then met his nieces who are the extraordinary chefs at this fine restaurant. The goulash soup was delicious. That was followed by potato pancakes which were absolutely fabulous. My husband had the liver paprikash and I had the chicken paprikash. Each dish was beyond wonderful and brought back memories of my childhood. Service was excellent and we felt like we were dining with family. Our only regret is that this restaurant is in Cleveland and we live in New Jersey. While there, I even got to practice my very limited Hungarian with Louis. If you are ever in the Cleveland area, whether or not you are Hungarian, treat yourself to a wonderful dining experience and eat at Balaton. You will not be disappointed.

Reviewed 19 October 2018 via mobile

Whenever I visit Cleveland (moved away awhile ago), a trip to the Balaton is always in store. And if I don’t have enough time to eat in, I order it ahead of time and pick it up to go. The Chicken Paprikas is my favorite meal but honestly you cannot go wrong with anything on the menu. I love this place so much I even had our wedding rehearsal dinner there! It’s cozy and casual inside with delicious comfort food.

Reviewed 8 October 2018 via mobile

We just returned from a trip to Budapest and decided to try this restaurant. The owners are from Hungary, and the food we enjoyed here is very authentic. We shared delicious chicken paprikash with yummy spaetzle, a dish of noodles with red cabbage, a plate of sweet and sour (mostly sweet) red cabbage, and 3 great desserts: cherry strudel, a wonderful walnut tort, and a delicious Dobos tort. Highly recommended!

1  Thank Steve K
Reviewed 4 October 2018

My teen daughter is fascinated with Russia and has begging to try some authentic Eastern European/Russian foods. Balaton was a real treat and we savored every mouthful. Our family picked the Hunter's Platter plus a few other dishes so that we could try a big variety, and nothing disappointed us. The potato pancakes are enormous and delicious-- the perfect balance of crispy creamy potatoes and I might go back for them alone. Everything was cooked withi great skill and care, some dishes obviously had been simmered for a very long time. Layers of flavor, and we used the delicious bread to soak up every bit of sauce. Parking was interesting.

1  Thank longneck28
Reviewed 21 September 2018 via mobile

The food served at this Hungarian restaurant is comfort food right from any Hungarian table. It is reminiscent of any restaurant in Hungary with its quaint decor. The schnitzel is tender and perfectly cooked. The Hungarians platter offers a taste of TÖLTÖTT KÁPOSZTA (cabbage rolls),paprikas, schnitzel and applesauce (not homemade). The SZÉKELY KÁPOSZTA (pork with sauerkraut and sour cream) is tender and served with speatzels. The pork pieces are plentiful as is the gravy. The gravy has cinnamon overtones. There is home baked bread and butter served with every meal. Certainly a place to find comfort not only in the surroundings and with the food, but also the service. There is a reason this restaurant has been around for over 50 years.